ROF

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
If a vehicle fires in Prep Fire and maintains rate, does it still have the ability to move in MPh or only fire in APh

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It may do neither.

JR
First. Your answer is cleverly correct however one reads the OP, but let's agree Ed Donohue clearly meant AFPh.

Secondly, what a bookkeeping pain ROF is... I'm sure I've screwed this up (or been victimized) many many times in larger scenarios or in PBEM when a lot of time passes between logs... because if you mark the ROF weapon with prepfire, you have to remember it has ROF if you want to shoot it again later in the phase, and if you don't mark it (which I think is how a lot of people handle it -- you can easily end up taking disallowed shots in the AFPh...) A weapon that has kept ROF is neither unfired, nor fully fired... shouldn't there be an ROF marker which gets flipped to ROF lost or fire complete or something at the end of the phase (taking A .15 into account)? I think it would help. Particularly in PBEM. [*edit -- he's gonna make fun of me for asking for more markers -- I just know it. :) Ok ASL possibly has enough markers already]

Last edited:

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First. Your answer is cleverly correct however one reads the OP, but let's agree Ed Donohue clearly meant AFPh.

Secondly, what a bookkeeping pain ROF is... I'm sure I've screwed this up (or been victimized) many many times in larger scenarios or in PBEM when a lot of time passes between logs... because if you mark the ROF weapon with prepfire, you have to remember it has ROF if you want to shoot it again later in the phase, and if you don't mark it (which I think is how a lot of people handle it -- you can easily end up taking disallowed shots in the AFPh...) A weapon that has kept ROF is neither unfired, nor fully fired... shouldn't there be an ROF marker which gets flipped to ROF lost or fire complete or something at the end of the phase (taking A .15 into account)? I think it would help. Particularly in PBEM.
A7.1 "No Unit may fire in more than one phase per turn." Regardless of whether you retain rate in prep fire or not, if the unit is finished firing, a Prep fire counter is put on it, and it may not take any more actions that turn.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A7.1 "No Unit may fire in more than one phase per turn." Regardless of whether you retain rate in prep fire or not, if the unit is finished firing, a Prep fire counter is put on it, and it may not take any more actions that turn.
Yes, that's understood. But there are times when you keep ROF and do not fire out because you are undecided about which targets to fire and are waiting to see how things go planning to fire out the ROF later in that same prepfire phase. I agree with you that you should mark the unit prep-fired (and remember you've still got ROF) rather than leave it unmarked (until the end of the phase -- when you would mark it if you remember!) because it kept ROF, that second way easily leads to error imo. Admittedly this situation is much less common than holding ROF during D1F when you specifically should not marker the unit as it can keep its ROF into DFPh (A .15) --- although I was thinking the ROF markers could come in four flavors, 0,1,2,3... to indicate the hexspine change CA liability being carried forward with the ROF and which most certainly does apply from D1F to DFph. Face to face players are thinking I'm obviously insane or a troll and VASL PBEM players are (I hope) thinking -- that's doable and makes sense.)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I simply place a Prep Fire (or another Fire marker if during DFF or DFPh) next to the unit which kept ROF.
We don't need to add new markers for each anecdotal situation we meet in a game.
And the need to remember when a weapon maintained ROF during PFPh would occur in a large scenario.
And needing to switch to other firing units before firing again with the weapon which kept ROF is not very frequent either.
Our brains are enough most of the time to manage such situations.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, that's understood. But there are times when you keep ROF and do not fire out because you are undecided about which targets to fire and are waiting to see how things go planning to fire out the ROF later in that same prepfire phase. I agree with you that you should mark the unit prep-fired (and remember you've still got ROF) rather than leave it unmarked (until the end of the phase -- when you would mark it if you remember!) because it kept ROF, that second way easily leads to error imo. Admittedly this situation is much less common than holding ROF during D1F when you specifically should not marker the unit as it can keep its ROF into DFPh (A .15) --- although I was thinking the ROF markers could come in four flavors, 0,1,2,3... to indicate the hexspine change CA liability being carried forward with the ROF and which most certainly does apply from D1F to DFph. Face to face players are thinking I'm obviously insane or a troll and VASL PBEM players are (I hope) thinking -- that's doable and makes sense.)
I agree with you, I was answering to make sure ED understood fully. Fore VASL Opponents, one can however always use the Counter Label to show retained ROF. In FtF of course, the Other player is watching you like a hawk! Another solution, would be to agree before hand, that the Fire counter placed in a certain dir/loc etc can mean the unit retained ROF.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok Ok ... you all are right... I'm wrong, ?... we don't need the markers!

Just don't come crying to me when you realize your opponent forgot to [edit-- actually nevermind, what was I thinking...]☝

Last edited:

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok Ok ... you all are right... I'm wrong, ?... we don't need the markers!

Just don't come crying to me when you realize your opponent forgot to add that +3 hexspine change incurred in D1F to his DFph shot...☝
Don't get me wrong, I think some awesome markers for ROF would be great. Maybe a pic of man grinning insanely and firing a red hot MG.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Use a PFPh marker and mark it in a corner with a dot using a sharpie.

JR

Last edited: