ROF

jshultis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could someone describe the basic concept of ROF. The ASLSK touches on it very briefly and leaves a lot of open questions. I don't have the ASLSK rule book in front of me, but I believe it says that a dice role (red) equal to or less than the printed SW ROF will retain rate of fire, allowing that SW to fire again in that phase (until ROF is not retained).

Does this mean that a MG retaing ROF during first fire can first fire again at the same target hex even though that target only expended one MF in that hex?

Thanks
Jesse

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does this mean that a MG retaing ROF during first fire can first fire again at the same target hex even though that target only expended one MF in that hex?
Yes. You could also use your Rate Of Fire vs a different target; you are not restricted to shooting only at the same target you fired at during the MPh if you retained RoF into the DFPh.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In ASL, you cannot first fire again at that unit unless it expends another MF.

I would assume this is the same for ASLSK, where there are no MP's yet.

Keith

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, I misunderstood the original question; Keith is correct. Once you get to the DFPh you may then continue to fire on the same target if you retained RoF.

jshultis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the clarification, although I think I need a little more assistance.

The Start Kit explains ROF as "If the colored die roll in a fire attack DR is less than or equal to the ROF, that SW may fire again in that phase until such time as the ROF is exceeeded by the colored die roll". This is the extent at which it is explained.

Does this mean that a MG could possibly fire an infinite amount of times in a phase (Prep, Defensive, Movement, Advancing)?

As well, if all conditions are right, I believe a MG should be able to dff, sff and fpf during the movement phase? If that is the case, how does retaining ROF benefit an attacker in the movement phase?

How is ROF carried from one phase to the next?

Thanks
Jesse

Countertroll

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jesse, ROF is for the Turn only. It does not carry over. Also, during a Turn you are either the Attacker or Defender. If the Attacker, then ROF would let you shoot in the PFPh and AFPh. As the Defender the Attacker's MPh (Defensive First Fire) or DFPh. Yes, you could get Rate util the cows come home. I think my record for one Turn is 8 with a Mortar. One of them even had a result....

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will tackle some of these but I am sure there should be more comments.

"Does this mean that a MG could possibly fire an infinite amount of times in a phase (Prep, Defensive, Movement, Advancing)?"

Yes this is possible per phase, but once marked with a Prep Fire a MG may not fire during AFPH. And Defensive Fire comes after Movement so there are certain restrictions on units marked with first fire counters.

"As well, if all conditions are right, I believe a MG should be able to dff, sff and fpf during the movement phase?"

For this sequence during MPH there are certain restrictions, sorry I do not know the ASLSK ruling on this. Such as sustained fire, etc.

"If that is the case, how does retaining ROF benefit an attacker in the movement phase?"

If you mean how does it benefit an attacker firing MG during MPH, I know of no cases where the attacker's infantry SW can fire during its MPH.

Hope this helps.

Keith

jshultis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ktodd said:
"If that is the case, how does retaining ROF benefit an attacker in the movement phase?"

If you mean how does it benefit an attacker firing MG during MPH, I know of no cases where the attacker's infantry SW can fire during its MPH.

Hope this helps.

Keith
Keith,

I meant to say "defender", sorry about that...

I guess what I am getting from the replies is that it is possible for a MG to fire infinately during a phase which it retained ROF, like Prep Fire.

As well, looks like a MG, which retains ROF, can continue to fire during the Movement Phase as long as there are moving units to fire at.

What happens to a MG that maintains ROF during dff against a unit moving in open ground? If the MG cannot fire again at that unit (due to one MF expenditure) can that MG fire again at another moving unit without being placed under final fire or would that be considered sff?

Once again, thanks.

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jshultis said:
What happens to a MG that maintains ROF during dff against a unit moving in open ground? If the MG cannot fire again at that unit (due to one MF expenditure) can that MG fire again at another moving unit without being placed under final fire or would that be considered sff?
A DFF marker is not placed on the MG until it loses ROF. For example, if the MG fires at a moving unit and maintains rate, no First Fire marker is placed. The MG is still free to fire at any other unit (or the same unit if it used enough MF) just as if it had never fired at all. Once it takes a shot and does not maintain ROF, it is marked as First Fire, and to subsequently fire it is constrained by the rules for SFF (ie, no farther than the closest enemy unit, etc.).

The easiest way to think about ROF is that whatever marker would normally be placed on that weapon after firing (ie, Prep Fire during the PFPh, First Fire or Final Fire during the MPh/DFPh) is not placed if that weapon maintains ROF.

Pete

jshultis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I very much appreciate everyones patience and assistance. I'm playing ASLSK solitaire, which leaves me no one to either confer or argue the rules with.

Jesse

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
countertroll said:
Jesse, ROF is for the Turn only. It does not carry over.
Well, this is not entirely true. A DEFENDER that mainatins ROF during the opponent's MPh will carry it over to the DFPh where it can continue to fire as long as it mainatins ROF.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
jshultis said:
As well, looks like a MG, which retains ROF, can continue to fire during the Movement Phase as long as there are moving units to fire at.
That's true. In full ASL, there is restrictions for changing the MGs direction if firing from woods/buildings, but I guess that's not included in ASLSK.

Yes, or if it still has mainatined ROF when the DFPh starts, it can start firing on the unit in open ground again, since fire during the DFPh isn't movement-dependant. The target unit no longer receives FFNAM or FFMO though.[/quote]