ROAR Account Suspended

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was on ROAR a few hours ago and all was well. I went back just a few minutes ago and got this error:

Account suspended
Account for domain www.jrvdev.com has been suspended

Oh noes!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is not suspended in the sense that it is unpaid or something. It is somehow misconfigured I think. It is being worked on.

JR
Yeah, yeah sure...you didn't know JRV was into Bitcoins in a big way and he figured out how to link ROAR posts to said market and get his take on buy-in for such... I am sure he knows folks who operate "charities" out of Nigeria too. You probably had e-mails about so-so asking for ....

Heck, I bet we have FSB bots posting results on ROAR now just to skew "bourgeois" past times.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I just checked the W/L on a scenario a few minutes ago...working fine!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The host of the roar web site migrated roar to a new server. The first problem was that the DNS (the directions to your computer that tell it how to translate a domain name to a computer address) was not re-configured. DNS is something that takes time to propagate through the internet, so if you get a page that says "account suspended" or "your site is ready to build", that is the old, unmigrated server. On my computer my browser is switching back-and-forth between the old server and the new, which is very annoying That will eventually clear itself out, and these days it happens faster than it used to.

There is also now some other problem with certain pages, in particular the page to add new playings. That may also be a DNS problem and may resolve itself. I will look at it again in the morning. If you don't get an error, it should add to the database correctly. I am getting an error when I try to access the page.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Checked it just now. All is fine except that it was not possible (yet) for me to add a new playing.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You can add playings now. There are some residual problems because of changes for the new version of windows the server is running. Fixing these remaining problems will require restructuring some code, but the problems will not interfere with most of the functionality.

JR

Warbear

Reaction score
First name
Ernst
Country
llGermany
Today my account has been suspended in ROAR.
No access to the website at all.
I have no idea what has happened.

What can I do?
I don't even have an email address where to ask.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
sounds like that is tied in with your current email address. use a second address to ask, is the only thing I can suggest!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Even there: "Account suspended"
It is not your account that is "suspended", it is actually the roar web servers. The roar web servers were migrated to new machines with new IP addresses. You are seeing the old machines with the old IP addresses.You are experiencing the internet wonder of DNS (Domain Name Service). DNS is the process that translates domain names (www.jrvdev.com) into computer IP addresses. Information can take some time to propagate through the known (and dark) internet. You are apparently in a patch of the internet where it takes longer to propagate. The problem will clear itself up, probably within a day or so, unless you have done something yourself with DNS, and I would guess you haven't.

Or, in the wise words of the magic eight ball, try again later.

JR

Warbear

Reaction score
First name
Ernst
Country
llGermany
Thx.

I think if so there must be many other users with the same problem.

Will wait ...

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
.............................Internet ..................JRvM
Access................... 1/7300.....................7300/1

JR, congratulations and thank you for 20+ years.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I think if so there must be many other users with the same problem.
There probably are. The way DNS works is that a domain publishes its computer address with its local domain name server. When you go on the internet to look for a web site, your computer talks to a different domain name server that your internet provider configures. If your domain name server does not know the address of a domain like roar, it asks another domain name servers until it gets an answer. Once it gets an answer, it holds on to that answer (caches it) for a while. If in the meanwhile the address changes, until your domain name server asks again, you get the wrong computer address. Addresses don't change that often, so the system works well enough. Roar's address changed last night, so your computer is seeing a cached version, and since the cached version is probably not on a machine that roar controls nor on a machine that you control (unless you have set up a DNS server on your computer), you have to wait. If it does not clear up shortly there are ways to try to figure out where the problem is, but these not worth pursuing without waiting first. I can assure you that the new web site is there. Your browser just can't reach it yet.

Oddly enough, although I can generally see the site, my computer sometimes gives me the old address, and I have no idea how that's happening. I suspect my internet provider (verizon) has a bank of DNS servers, and one of them is not updating itself as quickly as the others.

JR

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was just able to enter e new playing But when I went to check the stats for the scenario they did not come up. I got only this:

Name The Professionals Number 144
Published in: Doomed Battalions (3rd edition)
Recommendations
No recommendations submitted for this scenario.

Hopefully this will sort itself out as the internet repairs itself.