Road to Rimini AAR

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This AAR is from a short little scenario called "Road to Rimini" by Chuck. My opponent was Jlbetin and while it looked bleak for most of the game, I did manage to salvage a draw in the end.

First off I could see the Germans have no mobile reserves of any kind during the first few turns. Yet I took a chance and moved some units off the line to the west and arranged them in the middle to be a fire brigade when the breakthroughs start coming. The initial turn allowed me to move freely, but I could see overwhelming air interdiction would make moving in subsequent turns almost impossible.

Turn 1. Fairly heavy losses in the front echelons. Not much I could do except try to make sure I was positioned to block his supply of some of his forward units. This might dull the edge. Many units are going to be caught across the Foglia River and lost.

Turn 2. He hits the main line and makes one hex on the sea-side flank behind Pesaro. Strong unit still in Pesaro and I am going to leave that on F defense to make him work at dislodging it. Perhaps I will get lucky and it will hold out for the full turn...or otherwise consume his rounds. Elsewhere I still have some units intact, now almost behind his lines. I move an HQ to form an adjacent line of supply to those forward units so they will remain strong in turn 3.

Turn 3. He now has 2 clear hexes of my line hacked out. Next turn will be the big breakthrough as I had to commit my reserves already. I used some of my remaining infantry to try to counterstrike his red overstacked hexes on the river to focus my artillery on him and try to wear his units down a bit before he has to commit them in the attack in turn 4. Some success but no retreats as I has hoped. One stack in 12, 12 (see pic. 1) was pure infantry...and thus I made excellent headway in attacking it. I lost one battalion of paratroopers, but he also suffered heavily in that hex.I moved up an AT unit to cover the adjacent hex because without any AT units of his own attacking me, I should be able to survive against those pure, worn down infantry. I can't see all that is behind that hex however, so I could be caught flatfooted if a large armor unit comes rolling up to support his attack. Also was able to break down one of my now surrounded infantry in his rear echelon and push many artillery units around. This should make him think twice about leaving his artillery unprotected... and it might divert some front line troops to come back and take care of my rogues.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Picture of the situation after turn 3. The arrow illustrates his projected path of attack...and where I was rushing any and all reserves.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 4. He had a major breakthrough along the coast road, with several units now behind my front lines. I have pulled more units off my right flank to begin forming a second delaying line in front of the Conca river - but not enough units to do more than have isolated pillboxes waiting for him. However my reinforcements start arriving on turn 5 so it might buy me just enough time for them to begin forming up a defensive line back near Rimini...where I can fight for a marginal victory or a draw. :)

Turn 5. Slower than expected turn for my opponent. He has several units behind my lines, but this turn did not exploit them by going deeper into the backfield. This has given me time to readjust slightly here and there along the line to further delay him on the next turn...as well as move up my turn 5 reinforcements - which were quite substantial. I have my 2 Panzer battalions from the 26th PZ regiment sitting just behind my line in a strike position for next turn. Judging by my situation, any kind of victory in this scenario is probably beyond hope...but a draw is certainly plausible. To save a draw you will need to maintain ownership of Riccione (see red arrow on pic. 2) and everything north of that position. This turn I also managed to squeak one infantry company behind his lines to interfere with his reinforcement hex.

Turns 6 - 10. My opponent lit up the skies by putting his air force on Interdiction for the remainder of the game. I was getting 72% interdiction which more or less meant I had to sit in place and hope I could hold on. Attacking was out of the question as his force was too great on the ground, and multiple rounds of interdiction strikes would end up hurting me more than any counterattack could do to him.

I left a few islands of defenders in selected spots so that the bulk of his force could not move up and strike my draw line at once. This probably helped save Riccione (5VP) and gave me the draw. Had that city fallen it would have given the allies a marginal victory.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Situation on my final turn (turn 10). His offensive sputtered as I stacked more and more units in front of him...but due to massive interdiction effects I really had no options other than sit in place. Chuck is aware of this interdiction issue and is working on a revision to address this.

Overall I like this small scenario and with a few air tweaks it should be a fun one to play over and over. :thumup:

My hat goes off to Jlbetin for an enjoyable game!