Road Rate, Vehicles, and In-Hex Terrain

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Citizens:

I have a truck towing a gun attempting to enter hex 3I10, through the road hexside, from level 0, at the road movement rate.

Rule B3.41 states: "3.41 A vehicle may cross any road hexside at a cost of ½ MP [EXC: Graveyard-Roads (18.41)/BU (D5.2)/Snow (E3.724)/in-Convoy (E11.2)]. The four MP surcharge for a vehicle entering higher terrain is halved to two MP while crossing a road hexside."

So generally speaking I should be able to do this for a total of 3.5 MP (2.5 for entering a higher elevation at the road movement rate + 1 for towing).

HOWEVER, there is also a Wooden Building in this hex at the center dot. Which raises 2 questions:

1) Once I enter the hex where am I? Do I have to be in Bypass? If so, what is the true cost of entering that hex?

2) Can I move directly from 3I10 into any other hex (or again do I have to use bypass)?

Any assistance you can provide is much appreciated!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is a building hex so the truck cannot enter it despite the road going in.
If instead you had a close top AFV, you could enter the building for half your MP plus 3 (1 for the road 2 for going up hill via a road) instaed of half plus 5.
You would need to bypass I10 and you could not do that when entering via the road.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a building hex so the truck cannot enter it despite the road going in.
If instead you had a close top AFV, you could enter the building for half your MP plus 3 (1 for the road 2 for going up hill via a road) instaed of half plus 5.
You would need to bypass I10 and you could not do that when entering via the road.
Thanks for your response. I still find it bizarre, though, that they would state it so categorically in the rules as "ANY road hexside" . . .

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
But although your truck with it's gun can't make use of that hexside, other vehicles can.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm - so the only thing left would be to enter it in bypass which would cost me . . . 11mp, right?

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last question: Let's say I had a fully tracked, closed top, BU tank. I could enter that hex for 3MP through the road but I'd have to take a bog check for the building?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You established the cost for the hexside but that does not change the cost to enter the building. B23.41:

Only a fully-tracked, CT, BU AFV without Riders may enter a building obstacle [EXC: Marketplace (23.73); Factory Stairwell (23.742)] and does so at a total MP cost equal to half of its printed MP allotment (plus the additional one-fourth of its MP allotment if it makes an OVR attack; D7.1). Such non-VBM entry of a building hex requires an immediate Bog Check DR with a +3 DRM to the Bog Check only (+4 for stone buildings).
2 up the road plus 1/2 to enter the building. Then a bog check. Don't fall into the cellar.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You established the cost for the hexside but that does not change the cost to enter the building. B23.41:

2 up the road plus 1/2 to enter the building. Then a bog check. Don't fall into the cellar.
OK - that makes sense - thanks to both of you!!