Road Rate, Vehicles, and In-Hex Terrain

Citizens:

I have a truck towing a gun attempting to enter hex 3I10, through the road hexside, from level 0, at the road movement rate.

Rule B3.41 states: "3.41 A vehicle may cross any road hexside at a cost of ½ MP [EXC: Graveyard-Roads (18.41)/BU (D5.2)/Snow (E3.724)/in-Convoy (E11.2)]. The four MP surcharge for a vehicle entering higher terrain is halved to two MP while crossing a road hexside."

So generally speaking I should be able to do this for a total of 3.5 MP (2.5 for entering a higher elevation at the road movement rate + 1 for towing).

HOWEVER, there is also a Wooden Building in this hex at the center dot. Which raises 2 questions:

1) Once I enter the hex where am I? Do I have to be in Bypass? If so, what is the true cost of entering that hex?

2) Can I move directly from 3I10 into any other hex (or again do I have to use bypass)?

Any assistance you can provide is much appreciated!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
This is a building hex so the truck cannot enter it despite the road going in.
If instead you had a close top AFV, you could enter the building for half your MP plus 3 (1 for the road 2 for going up hill via a road) instaed of half plus 5.
You would need to bypass I10 and you could not do that when entering via the road.

This is a building hex so the truck cannot enter it despite the road going in.
If instead you had a close top AFV, you could enter the building for half your MP plus 3 (1 for the road 2 for going up hill via a road) instaed of half plus 5.
You would need to bypass I10 and you could not do that when entering via the road.
Thanks for your response. I still find it bizarre, though, that they would state it so categorically in the rules as "ANY road hexside" . . .

Last question: Let's say I had a fully tracked, closed top, BU tank. I could enter that hex for 3MP through the road but I'd have to take a bog check for the building?

Larry

You established the cost for the hexside but that does not change the cost to enter the building. B23.41:

Only a fully-tracked, CT, BU AFV without Riders may enter a building obstacle [EXC: Marketplace (23.73); Factory Stairwell (23.742)] and does so at a total MP cost equal to half of its printed MP allotment (plus the additional one-fourth of its MP allotment if it makes an OVR attack; D7.1). Such non-VBM entry of a building hex requires an immediate Bog Check DR with a +3 DRM to the Bog Check only (+4 for stone buildings).
2 up the road plus 1/2 to enter the building. Then a bog check. Don't fall into the cellar.