Road Movement to enter Woods hex and then exit

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If this movement expenditure to move from the Woods Hex I1 to J8
A squad announces double time and moves from the woods hex I2 to I1 for 2 MF total 2
From I1 to I10 using the road for 1 MF total 3
Now the squad wants to move from I10 and bypass J8 If this is legal it cost 1 MF
Moves 2 MF up the hill for 6

The crux of the issue is: if you use only 1 to enter J8 can you then leave the hex via bypass for 1 MF

See the photo attached.

A bad day of ASL beats a good day of almost anything else!Moving question.jpeg

Last edited:

asl458

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
2MF I2 to I1: 2
1MF I1 to I10 (road): 3
1MF bypass J9: 4
2MF J9 to J8 (crest): 6 total

Pieter76

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Are you sure you can use 1MF (road) going through I10? I would asume you are going through the woods for 2MF, for a total of 7MF. So I think this move from I2 to J8 can not be made by a squad alone. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Are you sure you can use 1MF (road) going through I10?
Yes, it is possible, but at a cost. If a firer sees unhindered the road portion of the I1/I10 hexside, he can fire at -2 for FFMO/FFNAM.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think you are good for 6MF.
BTW I like the perspective of your picture of the situation.

von Marwitz

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always thought it weird that I9 is four MP. It's easy to forget a Cx marker if you advance there. It might be a nice place to defend depending upon the situation.

It looks like a sneaky but legal move. There is probably some kinda trail through the brambly thorn thicket to the house in I9, that's how I would rationalize it.

Last edited:

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
"I always thought it weird that I9 is four MP"

Actually the cost to move into I9 would depend on which direction you are coming from and what you want to claim . I would assume
If you move in from H9 you could enter at the woods cost. Any fire at you would then be using the Woods +1 Tem but after the Defensive fire phase you could then claim the Building Tem +2. Conversely if you entered from J8 or J9 you could enter at the cost of the building. I believe there is an example that shows a unit entering a building at a cost of 1 using the road and says basically what I have tried to explain only with far fewer words. (bottom of example 4.133 page A6)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You cannot go from I2 to I1 at a cost of 1MF nor use the road. You could however go from I1 to I10 using the road at an additional cost of 1MF (total 3MF). then bypass the wood in J9 (Total 4MF) and thence to J8 for a final total of 6MF spent.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"I always thought it weird that I9 is four MP"

Actually the cost to move into I9 would depend on which direction you are coming from and what you want to claim . I would assume
If you move in from H9 you could enter at the woods cost. Any fire at you would then be using the Woods +1 Tem but after the Defensive fire phase you could then claim the Building Tem +2. Conversely if you entered from J8 or J9 you could enter at the cost of the building. I believe there is an example that shows a unit entering a building at a cost of 1 using the road and says basically what I have tried to explain only with far fewer words. (bottom of example 4.133 page A6)
Unless there has been an errata published that I am unaware of, that is incorrect. Rule A2.4 specifies that 2I9 costs four MF to enter and has a TEM of +3.

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Unless there has been an errata published that I am unaware of, that is incorrect. Rule A2.4 specifies that 2I9 costs four MF to enter and has a TEM of +3.
I stand corrected. I thought that TEM were not cumulative (Full Stop) But the rule reads they are unless explicitly stated otherwise. I can only think of 1 other multi terrained hex that would give you the TEM benifit of both. A Woods/Bridge hex as long as the fire crossed the bridge depiction, but I do not think that they exist on any published boards.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, its like a little fort out in the woods and any advance in is CX for CC.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Lots of Stone Building-OliveGrove hexes in the Ortona HASL. +4 TEM, 3.5 MF to enter.