RO4 Martinoffen

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Preparing to play this in next few days. Just wanted to confirm Russians are fanatic in Factories during the campaign games but NOT in Red October scenarios.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Preparing to play this in next few days. Just wanted to confirm Russians are fanatic in Factories during the campaign games but NOT in Red October scenarios.
May want to include the German balance provision on this one but is a ton of fun no matter if you invoke it or not.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I'm part-way through playing it. I don't know why you'd want to give the Germans the balance ... and I am not sure that "ton of fun" is a very good description. Russian options appear to be quite limited. I've no doubt that they can win (even in the face of all of those Germans they can put out a lot of firepower) but regardless of what happens during the scenario it seems to be the Germans making all of the big decisions (not that there are many to make), and the German dice will determine overall progress.

I think the scenario is interesting ... and that's as good a reason as any to play it. I don't think it's one I'd care to revisit after playing it once, though.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm part-way through playing it. I don't know why you'd want to give the Germans the balance ... and I am not sure that "ton of fun" is a very good description. Russian options appear to be quite limited. I've no doubt that they can win (even in the face of all of those Germans they can put out a lot of firepower) but regardless of what happens during the scenario it seems to be the Germans making all of the big decisions (not that there are many to make), and the German dice will determine overall progress.

I think the scenario is interesting ... and that's as good a reason as any to play it. I don't think it's one I'd care to revisit after playing it once, though.
Interesting? In what ways? Is the terrain a factor in your assessment? Perhaps the OBs? Are there events in your playing that make it interesting but not overly fun to play? Are the Soviets not counterattacking? All that being questioned though the final assessment is of your view of the scenario is: Meh; what works for me may not work for you! Different strokes for different folks I guess.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Is the factory gutted? According to the preamble it is, but not by SSR.

JR

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I played it.

Hmmm. It was enjoyable as the Russians. Didn't start well as my pre-game 120mm OBA deviated and hit the factory. I was prepared to take the risk, as by SSR its +6 TEM vs Indirect Fire, but a critical rubbled the hex and killed one of my squads.

You can set up a kill stack, mess around with sewers and rooftops and HIP. So the Russians do have some choices. It is of course a lot more fun as the Germans and I suspect the Russians need the balance of 2x 628 and 8-1 leader (now that's a balance). I gave up about Turn5 with very little left and only killed 2.5 squads. Had some horrendous luck - but also fecked up forgetting how easy it was to breach an internal factory wall and then fire a flamethrower through it.

I may be playing this again as Germans in a few weeks - although I have a Japanese para drop and some Poland in Flames before then....

buser333

Reaction score
I played it.

Hmmm. It was enjoyable as the Russians. Didn't start well as my pre-game 120mm OBA deviated and hit the factory. I was prepared to take the risk, as by SSR its +6 TEM vs Indirect Fire, but a critical rubbled the hex and killed one of my squads.

You can set up a kill stack, mess around with sewers and rooftops and HIP. So the Russians do have some choices. It is of course a lot more fun as the Germans and I suspect the Russians need the balance of 2x 628 and 8-1 leader (now that's a balance). I gave up about Turn5 with very little left and only killed 2.5 squads. Had some horrendous luck - but also fecked up forgetting how easy it was to breach an internal factory wall and then fire a flamethrower through it.

I may be playing this again as Germans in a few weeks - although I have a Japanese para drop and some Poland in Flames before then....
You do realize a CH has no additional effect versus terrain? (C3.73)

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes. But the original DRwas still a 3KIA so a subsequent dr of 2 rubbled it.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You do realize a CH has no additional effect versus terrain? (C3.73)
Yes. But the original DRwas still a 3KIA so a subsequent dr of 2 rubbled it.
A CH by OBA means that a two was rolled, which in turn means that there is usually a fair chance of rubbling a building even though the CH doubling of FP does not apply to terrain.

JR