RO1 Number of counters per hexrow

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The question isn't about whether something is or isn't a counter but rather what constitutes "placement".
The exact wording if the SSR would be handy but placing a counter of a unit from the scenario order of battle onto the table on the first level of a building , to my mind is placing the unit counter only, the Level 1 counter just marks what was already there, as per B23.
Your not "placing" the information counter, it's only there to clarify where the unit was placed

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who thought a flame counter belonged to one side or the other? An argument for others I could see, even if I disagree, but the flame counter?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't like to think I am trying to be difficult with this. When an SSR says that a certain number of counters can be set up in a hex row, there's a lot of stuff that is a counter. The SSR also does not say that the counters have to be "owned by" or "belong to" (whatever that might mean) by the side, only that the side has to set the counters up (again whatever that might mean) by the side. And even if I don't consider terrain-status counters (like level, etc) I still don't know if the SAN counter participates in all this counting. That would seem to be a counter that is "owned" or "belongs to" one side or the other. That the SSR chose to talk about "counters" invites the player to consider *all* counters, not merely counters represented in the OB. Unfortunately having now played this scenario I think it has more serious problems than just a poorly-chosen phrase in an SSR.

JR

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
What's the rule book definition of "set up"?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unlike units scheduled to enter on a certain turn (A2.5), there doesn't seem to be the requirement at setup that you must include all units provided for initial placement. Be mindful however, there is a Q&A that says such units not placed on board may be counted as a CVP (and I would believe a BPV) loss should they not be set up.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The question isn't about whether something is or isn't a counter but rather what constitutes "placement".
The exact wording if the SSR would be handy but placing a counter of a unit from the scenario order of battle onto the table on the first level of a building , to my mind is placing the unit counter only, the Level 1 counter just marks what was already there, as per B23.
Your not "placing" the information counter, it's only there to clarify where the unit was placed
If Perry himself concedes that the SSR wording is imprecise, I don't think that you can prove that it isn't.

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If Perry himself concedes that the SSR wording is imprecise, I don't think that you can prove that it isn't.
I'm not attempting to.
My view is that, as is often the case, the SSR is simply being over thought and the intent is clear.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Common sense prevails in this case indeed.
Which doesn't always settle rules interpretation debates...

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The bottom line, rule debates really only matter between opponents.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The bottom line, rule debates really only matter between opponents.
They can reveal inconsitencies and errors, which resolution will help the whole community - as ASL is united by a common set of rules.
I am grateful that GS allows to post rules debates and to store (some of) Perry's answers to rules questions.

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Never suggested any different, you seem to have a habit of reading more into comments than is there.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Never suggested any different, you seem to have a habit of reading more into comments than is there.
If you needed to write that, be at peace with yourself <shrug>