RO1 German balance provision

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The Germans set up area consists of three hex rows. Per SSR 2, a maximum of 12 counters may set up per hex row. meaning the Germans can set up at most thirty-six counters in those three hex rows. The printed German OB (prior to any deployment) of the German onboard OB consists of thirty-four counters. The German balance consists of three 4-6-8s. Can the Germans not set up one counter so they can set up in accordance with SSR 2, or do they lose automatically if they accept the German balance because they can't set up legally?

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Something missed in the proofing process. I'd just let the Germans set up 13 hexes in one of the hexrows.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Something missed in the proofing process. I'd just let the Germans set up 13 hexes in one of the hexrows.
Thirteen counters, not hexes. But that prevents the Germans from deploying at set up. Fortunately or unfortunately I think that the addition of three 4-6-8s would not be sufficient to substantially improve the German's chances in this scenario.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Thirteen counters, not hexes. But that prevents the Germans from deploying at set up. Fortunately or unfortunately I think that the addition of three 4-6-8s would not be sufficient to substantially improve the German's chances in this scenario.
Ok, I have not played it, so I could not say.

Guess if one used the German balance one could agree the Germans could set up 13 counters per hexrow, to allow some deployment.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played it yesterday and it was a hoot. I agree it's a bit proSoviet but our bad play contributed to their win rather thsn any inherent problem with the scenario.

The inability yo deploy at start caused us hesitation as we initially deployed 2 squads then realised we coukd not do so.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Played it yesterday and it was a hoot. I agree it's a bit proSoviet but our bad play contributed to their win rather thsn any inherent problem with the scenario.

The inability yo deploy at start caused us hesitation as we initially deployed 2 squads then realised we coukd not do so.
You should be able to deploy (just barely) unless you give the German balance, or unless you deployed the Soviets.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My count had it as 35 at start.
I get thirty-four, not counting the SAN (which even if it counts is not limited to the three hex rows). Are you using metric or stones or some other European measuring scheme? What happened to your loyalty to measure of the King's appendages?

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Given how badly I played that scenario, I would not be surprised I miscounted that too.