RO1 Blood On The Tracks

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
We spent a day and played our first RO scenario recently (with the errata VCs) and it was still such a one-sided affair, the link are our balance suggestions we thought through, after our "playtest".

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We spent a day and played our first RO scenario recently (with the errata VCs) and it was still such a one-sided affair, the link are our balance suggestions we thought through, after our "playtest".
I played the Russians and the Germans got massacred, barely made it across the road. The Russians began counterattacking back across the road, slaughter.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I played the Russians and the Germans got massacred, barely made it across the road. The Russians began counterattacking back across the road, slaughter.
We asked ourselves how many German 10-3 we were prepared to give the Germans if we would play for top dollars. We settled for three 10-3 Leaders added to the German at start OB would do it , lol

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
We asked ourselves how many German 10-3 we were prepared to give the Germans if we would play for top dollars. We settled for three 10-3 Leaders added to the German at start OB would do it , lol
You can't add three counters of any kind to the scenario and be able to set the Germans up legally because of SSR 2. The Germans start with thirty-four counters which have to be set up in three hex rows with a maximum of twelve counters per hex row. The German balance has the same problem.

That said, with three 10-3 additional leaders you should be able to sweep the map.

JR

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe a rolling barrage might help the Germans.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did you play with the errata VC Melvin?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My spider senses are leading me to believe this scenario is not a good Albany candidate... :unsure:
It might be if you gave the Germans three 10-3 leaders. Perhaps you could have players bid in leaders. Lowest added German leadership gets the Germans. I bid eighty 7-0 leaders.

JR

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It might be if you gave the Germans three 10-3 leaders. Perhaps you could have players bid in leaders. Lowest added German leadership gets the Germans. I bid eighty 7-0 leaders.

JR
I bid thirty 10-3 leaders and ninety-one 6+1 leaders. Therefore, I get the Germans...
Steve

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I bid thirty 10-3 leaders and ninety-one 6+1 leaders. Therefore, I get the Germans...
Depends on the metric being used for comparing leadership sets. In any reasonable metric, seventy-nine 7-0 leaders is less than eighty 7-0 leaders, but there is no clear preference when comparing thirty 10-3 leaders and ninety-one 6+1 leaders against eighty 7-0 leaders. It would be upon you as TD to come up with a reasonable metric. You might start with total negative leadership DRM plus total count of leaders. Not sayin' that's right, but it's a place you might begin.

JR

Last edited:

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Depends on the metric being used for comparing leadership sets. In any reasonable metric, seventy-nine 7-0 leaders is less than eighty 7-0 leaders, but there is no clear preference when comparing thirty 10-3 leaders and ninety-one 6+1 leaders against eighty 7-0 leaders. It would be upon you as TD to come up with a reasonable metric. You might start with total negative leadership DRM plus total count of leaders. Not sayin' that's right, but it's a place you might begin.

JR
As TD I am not using this bidding method in any form...
Steve

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
That said, with three 10-3 additional leaders you should be able to sweep the map.
What you suggest then is to add two 10-3 additional leaders and it is balanced? or is it only one?

Anyhow the serious suggestion are in the link in the first post.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What you suggest then is to add two 10-3 additional leaders and it is balanced? or is it only one?

Anyhow the serious suggestion are in the link in the first post.
I realize your 10-3 suggestion was a bit tongue-in-cheek. My suggestion is adding eighty 7-0s.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One idea that seems pretty obvious is to extend the existing SSR so that neither sewer nor tunnel movement can be used after turn five. That would be in keeping with the spirit of current scenario. I am fairly sure Melvin will think that is not enough, and he may be right. But it seems like it might be the least change that might balance it.

JR

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Maybe a rolling barrage might help the Germans.
That could be another way to balance it,
all you can see after the pre-game artillery strike is a flame counter in the rubble and not a single Russian squad have failed its ELR.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Played the scenario again, with more updates prior to the playing. We are both satisfied with the result and the scenario is now also more representative of the historical event that occurred during that morning assault.