RO CGIII The Russian Offensive

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
In the new RO module the CGIII represents the Russian counter offensive against the Germans in December '42. The German stragglers are holed up in the factory ruins and the Russians attack to clear them out. I was wondering if this counter offensive took place in the Red Barricades district as well? If the Russians were attacking the RO factory in December were they attacking the RB factory in December too? If they did it makes for interesting DYO opportunities by combining the CGIII on RO with a similar attack on RB too.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I checked Island Of Fire and saw that in the RB sector the Russian offensive in December made very little gains at all. So if one was to be historically accurate then a CG of that offensive would not be viable.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
They certainly DID attack in the RB area as well. Both there were part of the end game in Stalingrad.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
They certainly DID attack in the RB area as well. Both there were part of the end game in Stalingrad.
Yes they did but it took longer for the attack to make any progress than in the RO sector. I was wondering if a CG could be made of the Russian attack in the RB sector, just like the RO CG III for the RO sector. But I think because the attack in the RB sector was so slow a CG is not viable.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Germans held part of Barrikady Factory and Commissar's House until last day of fighting in Stalingrad. Small unit actions continued all the time from the end of Hubertus until that last day.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Germans held part of Barrikady Factory and Commissar's House until last day of fighting in Stalingrad. Small unit actions continued all the time from the end of Hubertus until that last day.
Thanks.

JOS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... CGIII represents the Russian counter offensive ...
I find the mere 4 Attack Chits available to the Russians in this 16 Date CG very jarring to my preconceptions of what constitutes an attack. So much so that I deferred a playing until 'later'...
Enjoy, Joshua

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I find the mere 4 Attack Chits available to the Russians in this 16 Date CG very jarring to my preconceptions of what constitutes an attack. So much so that I deferred a playing until 'later'...
Enjoy, Joshua
Pretty sure you can still 'attack', regardless.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Enjoy, Joshua
Oh my. I did not know that. I wonder what the intention is here?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
If the German cooperates and doesn't choose Idle, yes.
Enjoy, Joshua
If both sides keep choosing idle days then there is not going to be much of a CG!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think it might be an error - my guess is that in RO CGIII the Attack Chit limit should be for the Germans - not for the Russians.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think it might be an error - my guess is that in RO CGIII the Attack Chit limit should be for the Germans - not for the Russians.
Either that or they are taking into consideration ,the limited number of Russian troops for the counter attack. Remember everything would have to cross the Volga,so maybe the low number of attack chits indicates the very finite number of troops available for the counter attack.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Either that or they are taking into consideration ,the limited number of Russian troops for the counter attack. Remember everything would have to cross the Volga,so maybe the low number of attack chits indicates the very finite number of troops available for the counter attack.
The problem is that with the current rule, the Russians could only "Attack" four times (out of 16 CG Days) - so after they have choosen the 4th Attack Chit and if they have not achieved the CG Victory, there would be not reason for the Germans to not choose Idle and nothing more would happen in the CG. Hence, is why I think it might be an error. It was certainly nothing I reflected-over/noticed during proofreading.