RO CGI X-Tag strategy.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Been wondering about the correct strategy for the Russians for this CG. They are given 3 elite infantry coy and 10CPP. The CPP is enough to purchase two more coy in reserve. That is 5 infantry coy vs the probable 7 infantry coy of the Germans.

So how about if the Russian forget about the flanks and set about defending the center? The center is where the stone buildings are so they will have better TEM. If the Russians set up deep in the center and leave the flanks alone then how will they fare?

The German could split his force and attack down both flanks, hoping to capture the east map edges and isolate the Russian force (there is a Q&A sent to MMP about this issue - no reply as yet). The Germans would waste one CG date reaching the east edge and not attacking the factories.

The Russians could harass the German advance. By the time of the second CG date the Russian can purchase 3 more infantry coy and will still have most of his initial force intact. He could counter-attack the Germans and set about defending the flanks.

If the German decides to drive down the middle he will have 5 coy of Russians to deal with. It would be slow, particularly with the Guns and Forts that the Russians would have (and even OBA).

How does that sound?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been wondering about the correct strategy for the Russians for this CG. They are given 3 elite infantry coy and 10CPP. The CPP is enough to purchase two more coy in reserve. That is 5 infantry coy vs the probable 7 infantry coy of the Germans.

So how about if the Russian forget about the flanks and set about defending the center? The center is where the stone buildings are so they will have better TEM. If the Russians set up deep in the center and leave the flanks alone then how will they fare?

The German could split his force and attack down both flanks, hoping to capture the east map edges and isolate the Russian force (there is a Q&A sent to MMP about this issue - no reply as yet). The Germans would waste one CG date reaching the east edge and not attacking the factories.

The Russians could harass the German advance. By the time of the second CG date the Russian can purchase 3 more infantry coy and will still have most of his initial force intact. He could counter-attack the Germans and set about defending the flanks.

If the German decides to drive down the middle he will have 5 coy of Russians to deal with. It would be slow, particularly with the Guns and Forts that the Russians would have (and even OBA).

How does that sound?
Probably the sound advice would hinge on Perry's awaited reply to the Q&A about the River being considered a map edge or not. As is (general interpretation I believe) the river is not considered a map edge. If the Germans are able to advance quickly enough on the flanks to isolate the Russians in the center (usually about the third scenario, all Russian forces would be isolated and under Ammo Shortage as well as most of the non-building/rubble hexes being no-mans-land and be unable to receive purchased reinforcements. As the Germans a direct frontal attack into the factories is a suicide DF move that need not be taken. Sure they take the western most objective and the group of level 2 buildings west-northwest of the factories, but why go for the deeper objective on the first day [EXC: if it is offered as a plum VC], let the Russians win the 1st CG date, who cares. Kill the Russians on the flanks with a small force in the center to keep them honest, go for the Volga (perhaps Hall 1 & 2 and/or Hall 8 & 8a on the 2nd CG scenario) clear them off the slag heap in the east central and from the "Bunny gully" in the south and the Russkies in the center are on their own, and in a bad way. By the second CG scenario there's no need to even have German troops in the center as a few reserve units can screen that area (what is the Russian going to gain by attacking west anyway) load up on the flanks and go for the gold. The end should come rather easily for the Germans, mopping up the remnants of the trapped forces in the center factories with attacks from multiple directions. They should fall like ripe fruit from the tree of victory.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Probably the sound advice would hinge on Perry's awaited reply to the Q&A about the River being considered a map edge or not.
Yes this is the key element.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Perry has answered the question of isolation for the Russian units (they are isolated if they have no path to the east map edge or to the south east corner). So it will probably become a German strategy to try and cut the Russians off and isolate them. In which case the battle will be two fold - one for the factories and one for the flanks.

The German may consider it unnecessary to try and isolate the Russians and just rely on brute force to capture the factories. In which case the Russians can defend firmly in the center and concentrate their forces. The Russians have 10 CPP to spend on the first date. I am thinking that maybe the best option is for them to purchase a 1st line rifle coy and a first line smg coy but NOT put them in reserve but rather bring them on as reinforcements on the north east edge.

The first CG date is long. The reinforcements will have plenty of time to reach the factories or to defend the north east flank. The inevitable Stukas will on average take a few turns to arrive (the German can spend an extra 1 CPP for early entry but that reduces their 18 CPP by two). The Russians reinforcements can maintain concealment and so sighting TC will not be easy.

Two Russian coy entering on the east edge is probably a far better bargain than setting up the infantry as reserves.

Last edited:

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perry has answered the question of isolation for the Russian units (they are isolated if they have no path to the east map edge or to the south east corner).
How does that response answer the question as formulated by Eagle4ty? [Not trying to be snippy here: I am just getting into the CG rules for RB and RF so it is likely I am missing something that is obvious to all).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
How does that response answer the question as formulated by Eagle4ty? [Not trying to be snippy here: I am just getting into the CG rules for RB and RF so it is likely I am missing something that is obvious to all).
What actually is the question? My take is that the battle will become two fold...as I mentioned. The Russians need to protect at least one flank.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What actually is the question? My take is that the battle will become two fold...as I mentioned. The Russians need to protect at least one flank.
Sorry, I was not clear. I meant the question to Perry as reported by Eagle4ty: "the River being considered a map edge or not."

To which the response from Perry as reported by you was: "[the Russian units] are isolated if they have no path to the east map edge or to the south east corner."

So what how does the response from Perry answer the question to Perry?

But if it is completed, never mind. I am a long way from having to mark a perimeter.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Sorry, I was not clear. I meant the question to Perry as reported by Eagle4ty: "the River being considered a map edge or not."

To which the response from Perry as reported by you was: "[the Russian units] are isolated if they have no path to the east map edge or to the south east corner."

So what how does the response from Perry answer the question to Perry?

But if it is completed, never mind. I am a long way from having to mark a perimeter.
Aahh. The question was that if the Russians cannot reach the east map edge then will they be isolated? For example if they can reach the Volga shoreline but cannot reach the east map edge what happens? The answer is that they are isolated. Because the Volga shoreline is not considered a map edge.

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We played it as follows: The East edge hexes are JJ1-JJ17 and the south edge hexes are HH48 & II48. If the German captures HH48 & II48 then the Russians can enter along the south edge M48-II48.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We played it as follows: The East edge hexes are JJ1-JJ17 and the south edge hexes are HH48 & II48. If the German captures HH48 & II48 then the Russians can enter along the south edge M48-II48.

View attachment 13261
This may go a bit to redress the perceived problem but still leaves the German in a position to severely interdict Russian reinforcements entering along the southern flank but at a cost of stripping away forces to do so. Perhaps allowing some form of resupply and reinforcements to arrive across the Volga could also be entertained. I must admit my initial reaction to the situation was predicated on my poor showing as the Russian, probably poor purchases and initial deployments as well as flawed tactical proficiency. I have mellowed somewhat and have certainly not given up on the CGs as after a little breather I'll take another shot at it (sometimes I'm a glutton for punishment). However, like Melvin (Stavka) I believe the Russian defender is severely hampered in the initial CG day period by insufficient CPP/FPP or a lack of defensive assets (Wire, mines, fortified building locations and even pillboxes) as alluded to by the scenario RO1 BLOOD ON THE TRACKS & RO2 SECOND STEP, or perhaps even increase the number of Russian units initially allocated.

Historically the 100th Jager Div. on the Northern flank made almost no gains what-so-ever throughout the 23rd but this is probably not going to happen in an ASL CG given the paucity of Russian troops overall, lack of additional defensive multipliers, the slim CPP & FPP allocation, and the terrain presented on the map. I am always leery of having the designer play the game or a portion of it for me by limiting an advance on a certain sector or taking a portion of the map out of play once the design decision has been made to include it so I do not feel this is the most optimum path to redress the imbalance as I perceive it to be. The lack of progress by the 100th should be noted by the designer however and to increase additional defensive assets would go a long way to address the situation to give some semblance to historical accuracy. The addition of the increased Russian reinforcement entry area in the south is at least within the realm of possibility and I for one would welcome such an change in some circumstances. The use of the Volga as an alternative, if somewhat restricted, supply-reinforcement source could also be envisioned IMHO. In my estimation as it stands the CG is very pro-German unless he is determined to bash his way headlong into the factory district in a frontal attack. The verification by Perry that the Volga is not considered a map-edge (as I initially thought and played with that in mind) only reinforces my position until I have have been convinced otherwise either by my play or others that have found a way to avoid the eventual German victory.
Of course as always JMHO.