RO CG I Started

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's a long game, the dice have got to change eventually, don't they? Don't they?!!?

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK over the last 2 weeks we got in another 2 turns, life is busy in August. We sit at the German Prep of T6, OBA and Smoke is done (how we usually end things to allow some thinking)
Terrible couple of sessions for the Germans. On Saturday Neil average about a 5 DR and me about a 10.5 for the first.... 30 minutes of rolling?

In the south, his gun on the board edge is just a monster. I broke the crew a couple of turns back but he's back and he completely devastated my platoon south of the gully. Probably only my planes keep him from taking it all back! His OBA is harassing fire (only 80) no big deal right? Yep right until he rolls 1,1 vs. the AFV in T40.... he even called it... I did finally break the observer so this BS should be over. The south factory finally fell/was vacated... ended up losing a 838 in CC here but took out the 2 Russian squads at the same time.

Next Section, pretty much detente here. He got all his guys out of the sewers so I suspect this will remain as is. The conflagration is spreading meaning he will get them all back because I could not "surround" it except on the north side.

A little more action one section North, slow progress in the Martinhof. The 628 won a CC against my hero and squad but how has to receive from the 8-1, ft,838 stack next door and the bogged tank. My OBA drifted one hex to where I can't see the blast height... I tried a few extra draws today trying to get a breakthrough and they all failed with not terrible odds of success either... very disappointing :) The patented Pleva method of card drawing failed. And the S16 factory is finally in German hands. We both have large stacks that make coming adjacent very inadvisable. I still have 2 FTs in there that have infinite fuel... I'm still trying to figure out why that poor 236 was sent back in last turn...

And finally in the far North, my attempts to take out the dug in tanks with infantry and smoke cover failed miserably. The stukas did manage to take out the on in Y8 but not until the first plane rolled 6,6 and blasted my own concealed 548 sneaking up on it... Planes were worthless again. Really they only stop him from running around willy nilly. This was my second mistaken attack with them, one per each purchase. I have one left with bombs and one without after the friendly fire guy went home.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Casualties to this point are as follows: German has lost 16.5 S/E's, a crew, an 8-0 and three tanks with a 4th recalled. The German tanks have all been lost to snake eyes in one form or another (one in CC, one to OBA and one to the To Kill on a 45LL shot.) Russian has lost 12 S/E's, two crews and a dug in tank. The tank was lost to Steve's first successful Stuka attack as he mentioned.

I'm guessing that we are just about even in squads now, with the Russian growing stronger every day. German is also low on armor now, with two Stug's (one Immobilized and taking fire every turn, can't kill it with the weak 45L of the dug-in tank) and two PZIII's (one immobilized and the other one bogged) alive.

80mm OBA was pretty effective in slowing him down in the south. The rockets were a waste, albeit fun as rockets always are. The rest of my purchases today were the dug-in tanks and two companies of troops. Probably should have went max infantry and not splurged on the rockets, but there is always tomorrow.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK finished 10-24 and here is the perimeter. Last few turns were a bit static but with some losses for both sides.
No Mans marked with circles... Most of the big factory was on fire and he got control back based on 11-7 surrounded hex control I think?

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Casualties for the third scenario were our highest to date:
German Lost: 20 S/E's, 3 crews, 3 Tanks, 3 leaders and a 81*MTR.

Russian Lost: 21.5 S/E's, 2 crews, 1 dug-in tank and a 45LL AT gun.

Russian had the luck of the dice early, but the last turn saw me roll at least 5-6 boxcars to put Steve's Germans in the lead for Infantry casualties and disabled the last 45LL AT gun. So far, I've stuck to the infantry heavy doctrine, familiar to RB, but the dug-in T-70's really seemed to give Steve fits today. The Germans really don't have a lot of good tank killers, and I've killed alot of what he had to begin with. He only has alive a single 50mm armed PzIII and one 50L armed PzIII left alive that can kill my dug-in tanks and only has a single platoon of Stug IIIG's available to buy. If he buys guns, then I consider it a win, if he's wasting CPP on static guns I'm happy. The Stukas are the big threat to the tanks, but I rolled up Overcast skies so this is not a threat in the upcoming 4th scenario.

More infantry, OBA and dug-in tanks to come for the Russian, I don't really need guns as the German only has two mobile tanks on the board right now. Steve claims he thought about an idle day, but he decided to attack for the 4th straight day. We've had no ELR drops for either side yet, so I'm okay in that regard so far.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok starting 10/25, German T1 done, Russian T1 is what you see.
In the South We are still messing around South of the Gully and a cautious approach finds a new Pillbox to mess with. 2 .50 MGs in there...
A new dug in T34 also pops up. Turn 1 started badly with Rain on my first roll. The hex where the T34 is should be smoked along with a couple other hexes around there too but f***ing rain. Other tales of woe on my Turn 1 forthcoming...
My 9-2 is laying low here until we get the lay of the land.

Going one sector North we find my 150mm OBA that did absolutely nothing on T1 in it's Pre-Reg hex... Using the dug in tank as an aiming point. The only good roll was on an unoccupied hex!
My little 50L is hoping to kill that dug in tank before he can be hit himself.

Again pretty static in the middle for now.
One more sector North you can see my other kill stack just playing defense here so I can concentrate in other areas. He sees some key areas if things go bad and the Russian get counterattack ideas.
You can see his too big MTRs on the rooftops far in the back. In Hall 1 and Hall 2 we are just cautiously advancing, we scared a couple of conscripts away is all so far.

And finally in the North we have the Russians completely departing the corner and the even worse tale of woe for the T1 Germans. That pesky dug in tank... I started a FT next door only need an 8 right? How is a 9 DR for you Steve?
To make it worse his slag heap mtrs start rating out their a** and getting affects on him eventually double breaking him... great way to lose an 838 (half anyway), no problem the ? 447 passes the PAATC and jumps on him, ambushing him for good measure...
Completely wiffs too.... he has an OBA down here expecting perhaps more push here than I am willing to give...

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK we made it to the beginning of Russian T3 around watching our Steelers tease us against Baltimore... pretty sad that are QB is now from Sanford!!
Rain is now heavy... I would really like to use my Smoke in this game...

In the south I got across the last small gully. He had to retreat or if he broke he would have died for FTR. But I was able to break and or drive away most of his platoon down here. The annoying gun popped up again just back 4 or 5 hexes. It would be nice to get a little farther down here but not thinking that is going to happen... The pillbox will own this area too.
My OBA got a immobilization vs. the T34 dug in X36 but he passed the TC I'm gonna have to waste it here again I think because this guy is the only one who can hit the observer... Still HIP but not for long...
The STug that was in the factory and targeted by the T34 calmly just drove away after not having HEAT and hitting with AP but for no affect.

Moving North (lots of overlap in these two pictures for some reason this time)
We see the Germans move into the R34 building in force. The T70 dug in tank was hit and shocked, went UK and than came back (disabled the CMG which should help if I can get on him). Last attempt to advance onto him failed... There is a 9-2 that got pinned in the middle of the open area there and didn't feel like running home to 'die Mama' but the guys shooting at him are in retreat now...
We also have a foothold in the factory as well, the Stug came over hear to scare away S33, he has a FT under him for protection ?
A Russian went beserk in the rally phase which may work out for him
There is also a FT in the cellar of Q34 to deal with the dug in T70 if necessary.

One more North finds the Russian counterattack in the Martinhof which we expected and we are simply trying to give ground, I expected to not be able to hold these gains from yesterday. Just off screen the the right of this picture my 9-2 24 FP stack is still keeping him from getting frisky outside the building. He is welcome to stay IN the building.
Slow progress everywhere else up here. I'm interested to see if he puts more into that melee...
These 2 mortars on the roof (no planes) are a major PITA. They vaporized 2 squads way in the North with 2 CHs followed by 2,4... stopped almost all plans up there for sure...

And in the North we still have the T70 who should be dead like 3 times already... we are just avoiding him for now. Another T34 popped up dug in in the orchard up here and he had a HIP guy watching his back. Long story short is every small concealed "advance" up here has failed and the two guys that got vaporized in W8 and W9 put a damper on things. Just realized we forgot to roll for rubble on those CHs, the 1,1 on the 8 (non doubled) is still a 1KIA which can rubble those wooden buildings. So for me this just became a hang on front unless I get a lucky break or two here...

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we played another turn today on short free time...

The German casualties are mounting quickly... everything I do even if I have a slight edge is not working out and costing my death...

Last straw today was a CC where I got the ambush (had a -2 edge, not too risky right?), had 10:6 HtH, only need a 9 to kill him outright and withdraw (9-1 helping) and what do I roll.... drumroll.... 6,6... I hat this f***ing game.

Same hex had a different CC (the one above in U16) and all I got for it was a wound on a leader... he killed EVERYBODY again...

heavy rain is about the worst thing that can happen to the Germans...

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Casualties so far today: German dead = 12 S/E's and 1 crew. Russian dead = 4 S/E's, a 9-1 and a dug-in T-70.

Steve's losing alot of infantry, he has captured the triangle shaped building at R33 and is starting to move into the R31 factory. I have almost kicked him out of the Martin Ovens with the exception of a single 5-4-8 and 8-1 in N21 that should be evicted this coming turn. In the South and the North it is a stalemate. with maybe a dozen hexes going over to the Germans in the North and another dozen in the south. I've been able to counterattack in the W-8 & W-9 area though and have picked up a hexrow or two here.

U16 has been the hex of death today, we've each retaken that hex multiple times today (its passed from one sides possession to the other every turn that hasn't had an active CC); two CC's have occurred here. The first resulting in 1.5 dead German squads and a wounded 9-1. Currently there is a 6-2-8 tied up with a 5-4-8, 4-6-7 and a 8-1.

So all in all nothing much going on except in the Martin Ovens Hall and the R31-33 area, hence no pictures this turn.

Danish

CyberASL Open Tournament Director
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Ouch, this one is beginning to look like a Russian win. Not taking the Martinovsky is such a big deal because of the extra sniper rolls.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ouch, this one is beginning to look like a Russian win. Not taking the Martinovsky is such a big deal because of the extra sniper rolls.
I agree that it is looking grim for the Germans but I don't think the extra sniper rolls have had much effect and I really don't think the German should focus on it to the detriment of other goals. My gains in the South give me a jumping off point to surround the bigger factories. Once that happens the Russians can be in trouble with no where to hide... Can I survive that long though...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Its getting tense. What scenario are you guys on now?

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its getting tense. What scenario are you guys on now?
4th Scenario (So day 3), We are in German turn 5 and it looks like he's just going to try to stabilize his lines now. I've kicked him completely out of the Martin Ovens and I may actually win a scenario!!! For all that is worth as the Russian though (not much, although I'll still be at 1:4 in scenarios and still get the balance provision for the upcoming scenario.)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished 4th scenario yesterday at end of T6. German infantry casualties are getting pretty bad... got to get sneaky to figure this one out, I am behind the power curve for sure.
Perimeter pic up tonight hopefully.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We've had a slight pause. The Germans have taken an idle day after their ELR drops to 3 even with clear skies for the Stuka's. OF COURSE I then roll up overcast skies for the next scenario and the Russian also promptly up their ELR to 4 after the idle day. We are halfway through the CG at this point.

I'm guessing this is going be one big push by the Germans/Steve to hopefully blow open the game.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Starting setup of the 6th scenario after our idle day. I chose to attack, so its a dual attack. Luckily the roll for setup yields that the German must setup first. I was praying for this and in fact this was the whole reason I attacked. Hopefully with my numbers advantage I can take some territory wherever he doesn't set up in strength, although he is now able to set up at least two over-watch MG nests led by 9-2's.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After the Holidays we finally got back to this.
Here is the perimeter I promised to post weeks ago.

This is the start of 10/26 I believe.

The first turn of 10/26 did not go well... setup pictures to follow.

Danish

CyberASL Open Tournament Director
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
That is a very long front line. Who has the most boots to cover that?