RO CG I Started

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so the Russians got lucky and rolled end of game in turn 6b. If he had not gotten that he would have likely lost 2 guns and given me a tremendous jumping off point for the next scenario.
The perimeter is where we ended up in the last set of pictures basically. Forgot to take pics so infer it if you want or wait for the setup pictures for the interim scenario coming up. Hopefully next weekend.

We traded a squad or HS in casualties in the turn nothing major. Infantry casualties were dead even at 9.5 SE and he killed 2 tanks.

I still have my rockets left over and he has his OBA carrying over as well...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Russians can purchase 3 Inf. Coy on the second scenario on the first day - as the drm for the second scenario would be -1. The second scenario is played as if being the next CG Day.
I was still niggling a bit about how to interpret Perry's answer and so I asked Fort. The DRM used for the second scenario is definitely the one for the 24th Oct. Fort confirmed it.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was still niggling a bit about how to interpret Perry's answer and so I asked Fort. The DRM used for the second scenario is definitely the one for the 24th Oct. Fort confirmed it.
I am totally OK with the drm ruling from both. What is more concerning is how many infantry companies can be purchased for instance... that rule says PER DAY. So on the 24th the Russians can buy 3 (2 + 1 for the extra drm) but is that 3 for EACH scenario "played" that day? for a total of 6?

I think that is how Perry's answer reads... but that seems wrong somehow...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I am totally OK with the drm ruling from both. What is more concerning is how many infantry companies can be purchased for instance... that rule says PER DAY. So on the 24th the Russians can buy 3 (2 + 1 for the extra drm) but is that 3 for EACH scenario "played" that day? for a total of 6?

I think that is how Perry's answer reads... but that seems wrong somehow...
I agree that is how Perry's answer reads. I think he would have said if the number of possible infantry companies purchased were limited to just 3 for the combination of the second and third scenario. I think we need to see the first three scenarios as each having their own "CG day" each despite the fact that they occur only on two days.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So my brother and I got a few more turns in last night... We are now on Russian Turn 4.

The Germans are mostly across the boulevard in force, more progress has been made in the south where a smoke barrage on the boulevard allowed easy access to the cover on the other side. CVP are light, Germans have lost a few more HS than the Russian, most German losses are in CC but we did manage to take out a 458 with 2 halfsquads before wrapping up last night.

We contemplated using the rockets but failed the radio contact roll, debating saving it for the next scenario.

Russians are trading space and trying to keep his meager forces alive. We found a 76* gun sitting in the factory and a 45LL covering the main E-W road in the south.

Germans lost another tank to a street fighting attack... can't defend 1,2 rolls

Pictures from North to South

Not much excitement in the North. His killstack even at > 16 still keeps me from running crazy up here. The broken Russing lmg is my CC victory hex!
View attachment 8193

Moving a bit farther South we find I finally pushed up torwards the Kindergarten area, the flame is where my 80mm OBA is centered. You can also see the beserk HS that will open up the Russian defense like a can opener or die trying!
View attachment 8194

The next two pics show the main German attack in the South. We are quickly approaching the factory complex

View attachment 8195

View attachment 8196
Good pics.

The Russian clearly has a troop number problem but at first glance ( pity about the OBA which can do wonders for plundering Germans)
have set up fairly well.

Tips:

Don't allow the G to get funky and regain ? easily
Always have people to man your SW ( esp HMG)
Don't know about your leaders but at a guess don't loose them
Get some armor asap just to bother the German
Get molitov cap

This looks between VoTG and RB in troop numbers.

Later in the game you can use "extra" leaders that you cleverly saved for "cross board maneuvers"
I can see that will be essential to stop the cunning Hun.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If someone can send me the purchase sheets I can form up some Russian purchases.

At first: units ( need the leaders) fortifications ( mines, fort build, wire) OBA with PR
if you can get right hex alignment. One word - "barrage".

I would not get caught in Milita Coy as they cannot move fast enough and will die easily.

Pity about the OBA...

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So after setup we got to the start of Russian Turn 2 with the following results.

He just rolled up Rain to remove all my smoke...
This time I'm doing south to north so the pictures sort of line up and follow each other.
In the South it's all about just pushing forward until we can control the area directly to the South of the complex. Not sure yet if we will push south of the valley or not, probably not in force but rather start to pivot towards the factories as much as possible. No surprises down here yet.

A bit farther North we see the Plate Mill has been entered. We knew about mines in M36 and M37 so we tried to go around to N37 to only find more mines, that guy broke and routed out while the toehold in M34/35 is tenuous. We've been in there before, jumped on a guy with my concealed guy only to fall to a 1,1 CC roll...
The Tank might have to push into the factory to get me in...
We think his observer is likely in Q34, Q27? the 9-1 will start finding out.
The upfront factory he pretty much is giving up without a fight. If I can find the observer I can use it to crack the Plate Mill.

Moving north again you can see where the rockets ended up... breaking one squad and starting a blaze that will gut the Martinhof which might be valuable if the overcast goes away...
Nobody was in the rubbled building...

More north you can just make out the shadow of his kill stack, 2 .50 cal, hmg and a MTR on the roof for good measure. The MTR and my STuG in L21 are trying to scare each other. My sniper is getting closer to his tower as well. The push through the buildings in the lower right of the pic found zero surprises, searched a few to make sure and survived the casualty rolls. The Russian locations were searched so I can get them at my leisure or by border drawing later.

And in the true North we find little resistance with the L6 and Q7 blocks given up without a fight. The immobilized Tank in Q3 was hit by a 45L just off screen in AA8? after being immobilized by a 50 mtr of all things but we survived both TCs and 3 shots later CH the 45L removing it from consideration! This guy really has no targets anymore so will likely need to rely on the refit roll to get mobile again. I've decided I really would like to take V2 and most of an offboard 447 company is attacking it through the gully with more armor support.
My no smoke MTR was hit with a K after firing one shot... the other MTR might be moving now that the fellows are on board and no smoke is possible right now.

So far my FTs have been the life of the party with a 1,1 result to wipe out a squad and a removal of a dummy that was trying to scare me. The 3rd FT might be in trouble as he can be seen by a big and small mortar... the building will save him right? :)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK we got two more turns in yesterday along with 2 more bottles of wine! (Best Cab I've ever had if anyone is into big bold cabs message me!)
Highlights sitting at Russian T4 prep:
Russian OBA got one pretty meaningless stonk down with his OBA, it did drive me away but then he drew 2 reds...
Germans were 6,6 their way to 2 squads of booby trap deaths...
German FTs still speaking semi loudly.
Germans were getting the short end of the stick until the North Russian defense folded like a house of cards and 3 squads died for FTR. I think CVP is even again, although the Germans do have 2 immobilized AFVs and one with a broken MA.
Russians have promoted 2 or 3 leaders and the Germans got one finally.
And it is raining heavily which is a PITA for my gully guys...

More pics for your enjoyment...
Starting in the South again
We decided to push him back slowly south of the valley, one more reserve under the 527.
Tried to move my 24 FP stack to around N38 but a damn sniper hit and broke/pinned both hmgs so we had to split that up.

Moving North one section
Finally got into the N35 factory a bit more... might be hard for him to fight it out there without dying. 3 mmgs in L31/1 can see the outside of it.
I don't think we will be moving much farther forward here... unless something weird happens like a well placed sniper or something.

Next section:
the fire was started by my Rockets and you can see the blaze his OBA started in the back field. Likely to burn for a long time...
He mentioned that my Left flank near M28 is poorly defended and maybe warrants a counter attack but I think that might be a bit aggressive given I have no where to go with those factory guys.

Moving farther North: Decent German push here, we found a dummy or two and were able to bring up some support from the South wooden blocks to push him mostly out of P13 building. There are two 838s just begging to use their DCs... that MTR was a terror this day, critical hitting one stack and hitting some other guys too...

And in the very South we have the blue wave going about as far as we need/want. Since trees are not strategic locations we are leery of moving in there given the mtrs that can see them. Looks like I should get the school which was the goal up here. It was touch and go for a turn or two. Could have gone either way. He reinforced a melee that I got to hold one hex but than when he missed to attacks back at adjacent guys the tank and 2 squad stack broke everyone in T1 and U1 and the tank and 9-1 finished them off for FTR.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rules question for you from the 3rd picture directly above. I have not had the time to rules dive on it yet but Neil says he's pretty sure about it.

So the blazes were always controlled by the Russian and my rockets started the original fire.
My 467 has bravely taken control of N21 which may go to a blaze. If it does blaze do I still control that location for border drawing?
Of if it goes blaze and "joins" the large fire does the fire control rules kick in and whomever controls the majority around them get control of them all??? Even if I had that location or he had the rest?

Which rule trumps what here? Can a blaze "flip" control of a location especially for perimeter purposes?

And what if we tie in controlling the hexes around it?

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Interesting, the German's have done well in the T3 sector and as that is a 2 story building (V2) will be bad news for the Russian.

The main factory fight in the north has started quickly and is prime real estate for the German S22- 28 is the first "chunk"
as it will then be ( or can be) made sewer proof. It also offers roof access and safe rally terrain.

The Russian seems to be doing a controlled withdrawal and -hopefully- with that will have a general increase of forces despite losses.

I still think units, fort( buildings, wire,) and OBA with barrage will be order of the day.

BTW don't put barrage on the "first factory line" but 1 in front of it for maximum effect ( low or no TEM). Also adds + 2 to enemy FP DRM/

To German: Time to choose force concentration as a broad front is probably just going to give the R more time.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so the interim scenario on 10/23 ended on a dr of 1...
Not sure who it helped more ending so early.
Russian did a couple of small local counter attacks to push the Germans back in a few hexes.
Discovered on dumb rule, if you have a MMC on the upper level of a hex controlled at ground level by the enemy but you FULLY control the rest of the building you still have to escape... I had to roll to simply walk down the hall to the German controlled hex...
Perimiter at the end is below with no mans land spray painted gray.
Germans win 2nd scenario easily by locations.
Martinhof is now gutted and I have a toe hold and hall 3 has 3 blazes in it in the O24 area.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Russians are slowly going to build up their infantry forces by being able to purchase 2 or 3 coy per day. The Russian has plenty of infantry RG available and they are relatively cheap compared to the German coy. I think the Russian resistance is just going to get stronger.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Meaning that the Germans get off to a good start but then find the going is slowly harder.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Meaning that the Germans get off to a good start but then find the going is slowly harder.
Yeah, he has almost caught me in squads now after the second scenario! The German lead is gone for the most part.

I do envision that taking each factory is going to be a big issue and painful for whichever side is trying to take it...

When 2 squads are in each interior hex even smoke and concealment, etc. might not be enough to survive... I think it will be interesting.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Russians are slowly going to build up their infantry forces by being able to purchase 2 or 3 coy per day. The Russian has plenty of infantry RG available and they are relatively cheap compared to the German coy. I think the Russian resistance is just going to get stronger.
Yeah, our S/E's are at parity now, so I'll take the lead here in the 3rd scenario. Still is a little tough to hold up to all the German firepower and also weather is clear so Stukas are looming in my future. My luck with OBA has been horrible though. First day 12'ing the phone out and the second day drawing double red after one very ineffective mission. My second day I bought three companies in reserve (2 SMG and 1 Militia), a HW Pltn and 1 FPP. The 82* Mtr's and .50cal's were very effective, but expensive and now with Stukas around they have to hide, no more rooftops. For today more cheap infantry and continue to try OBA is the order of the day.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
OBA is vital for the Russians. If nothing else it will really slow the German down. Hope you get some effective missions next time.