RO CG I Started

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If you immediately draw 2 red the OBA is saved for next time.

You don't "loose"it.

The German's are in a good position especially in the north. Beware Russian Katyushia.

Hopefully you have played RB enough to:

Know how to take a factory.

Always consider somewhere to ENCIRCLE and isolate Russian forces. These can then be considered " bagged" enemy forces as they
will not be able to move.

This is very hard to do in RB but this map offers more scope.

Tip:- German Use OBA barrage to isolate the area from reinforcements & so that DM units cannot escape through friendly lines.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you immediately draw 2 red the OBA is saved for next time.

You don't "loose"it.

The German's are in a good position especially in the north. Beware Russian Katyushia.

Hopefully you have played RB enough to:

Know how to take a factory.

Always consider somewhere to ENCIRCLE and isolate Russian forces. These can then be considered " bagged" enemy forces as they
will not be able to move.

This is very hard to do in RB but this map offers more scope.

Tip:- German Use OBA barrage to isolate the area from reinforcements & so that DM units cannot escape through friendly lines.
I had gotten off one useless fire mission in a desperate attempt to kill some German's in the open including a StugB. It drifted in the worst direction possible and I followed it with the 2nd red draw.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm assuming that it hasn't changed in RF but th big th8ngbsbout isolating units is the leaders MUST attempt to escape.

11.6061 EFFECT ON UNITS: 23 In a type B Isolated Area each enclosed SMC mustattempt to Escape (11.6063). In a type C Isolated Area each enemy SMC mustattempt to Escape. In a type C/D Isolated Area each unit/Weapon enclosed begins the next scenario with Ammunition Shortage (A19.131) [EXC: Escaped (11.6063); Eliminated (11.6094-.6095, 11.610, 11.6132 and 11.6134-.6136)]. The ID of some may need to be recorded to distinguish them from others not suffering the same penalties. See 11.6242 for setup restrictions in Isolated Areas.

This,means you can be left with a lot of squads but no leaders to rally them...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm assuming that it hasn't changed in RF but th big th8ngbsbout isolating units is the leaders MUST attempt to escape.

11.6061 EFFECT ON UNITS: 23 In a type B Isolated Area each enclosed SMC mustattempt to Escape (11.6063). In a type C Isolated Area each enemy SMC mustattempt to Escape. In a type C/D Isolated Area each unit/Weapon enclosed begins the next scenario with Ammunition Shortage (A19.131) [EXC: Escaped (11.6063); Eliminated (11.6094-.6095, 11.610, 11.6132 and 11.6134-.6136)]. The ID of some may need to be recorded to distinguish them from others not suffering the same penalties. See 11.6242 for setup restrictions in Isolated Areas.

This,means you can be left with a lot of squads but no leaders to rally them...
A type B isolated area has only SMC (possibly of both sides), so no MMC will be left without leaders.

A type C isolated area has friendly MMC, possibly friendly SMC, and possibly enemy SMC. The enemy SMC must escape but the friendly ones are not required to. The (friendly) MMC will not be left without (friendly) SMC unless they didn't have any to begin with, or those they did have voluntarily escaped.

JR

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
My point was that there would be an area where the enemy:

would be in a known area thus "let target practice begin" ( looking for units that DO NOT escape)
would be under low ammo ( ?)
an area highly desirable for pre des OBA ( at least 100mm)

The only time this could be considered "worthwhile" for the Russians is in
high density sewer areas where there could be something of a counter attack.

I would be interested to hear what would "occur" if say a large factory was encircled via perimeter determination

* VVV *

Here we are looking at "the next day" , but presumably NO reinforcements could set up in such an area.

Are you getting my drift ??

:))

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The R was set way too far back and the German have a few factories already.

Not sure of the casualties but I'd say the R are in trouble. Not quite catastrophic but close.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The R was set way too far back and the German have a few factories already.

Not sure of the casualties but I'd say the R are in trouble. Not quite catastrophic but close.
I think the gist of this CG is that because there are only 10 dates and the German has to capture all the factories he gets a strong start. The Russian will slowly be able to increase his manpower which will make the German fight twice as hard for the final few steps.

nathan brown

Infrequent Flyer
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
What happened to this game? - did the trolls scare you off?. starting soon and was finding this interesting!

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The Russian will slowly be able to increase his manpower which will make the German fight twice as hard for the final few steps.

This is at odds with your strategy then. If you let the German come too close to your factories you will not be able to put Cloaked units in them.

The German will be pushing YOU (out).

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so real life gives me a bit of a break and we setup and did turn 1 of scenario 3 last night.

Only have pictures of setup. The smoke counters were no mans land markers...
Turn 1 was not nice on the Germans, probing along the line resulted in a lot of casualties...
Starting in the south:
Here we see things starting to settle down into a side show.
Although in southern most factory he had 3? or 4 HIP squads to reject my moves in. Couple of demo charges failed to do much to the HIP guys... So that factory is still a battle

Moving North one sector:
He's decided to play sewer games here with the 2 cellar boys. Dug in tanks make their appearance for the first time. Turn 1 was static here except for his sewer guys. My small kill stack in N35 has done nothing. He has an SR bouncing around down here too that we are trying real hard to avoid.

Moving another sector North:
The fires have already spread to the 3 hexes south of the blazes on turn 1 (I roll high quite often)
After I probed ahead in the Q16/Q17 area he dropped a rocket OBA that ended up in O20 I think, vaporizing one of my squads, breaking a few of his and mine.
We found mines in Q16 and Q17 but I have a firm foothold in that factory now, he moved his larger backstop stack into the rear of that factory to try to keep me in the first 2 rows of that factory. He's a little scared of the DC/FT combo if he moves up behind the black bars... Just off photo in the slag heap he has 4 small and 2 large mortars that I finally just dropped OBA onto for little effect.

Lastly in the North:
Again a bit of a side show now. I'm not sure how deep the Germans need to go here. Another dug in tank popped up in U12 and Y8, missed the PAATC to jump on U12 and died for it. Y8 is going to be a pain in the ass. My 24 FP stack in the School basically opened up the board edge by killing those two squads up there (Killed one broke the other)
But the Y8 dug in T70 is plinking away so might be time to leave.
I brought on a platoon of Pz IIIH tanks and one is pretty much pinned down by the Y8, if I move he's gonna have a shot or two... The others are heading into the factory area to try to help me break in.

More to come after next Saturday I hope. Than life gets busy again.

nathan brown

Infrequent Flyer
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Nice, thanks, back to it with a lil bit if side spam in between.

Terrain query: Are Q38 and R39 roofless factory hexes or roofed?. The white dot is in the well roofed bit?

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice, thanks, back to it with a lil bit if side spam in between.

Terrain query: Are Q38 and R39 roofless factory hexes or roofed?. The white dot is in the well roofed bit?
Everyone I have ever played would play those as roofless... we are.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Casualties after one turn so far are: 5.5 S/E's and a 1-2-7 crew dead for the German and 1.5 S/E's dead for the Russian. Steve jumped into three or four CC at the end of his turn trying to force his way into the Q15 and Q38 factories and lost all but one of them, which was a half squad vs half squad affair.

I have a feeling that casualties are going to be alot higher this date than we have had so far. I've got some decent numbers now and he can't attack across the whole board anymore. He seems to be completely static in the middle and is just trying to probe in the far north and south of the factory areas.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got in another turn and a half today. Steve will post photos. German casualties so far today are 7 S/E's, 1 crew and two of those irritating 50mm 2 ROF tanks. The tanks died to a snake eyes CC attack when bypassing a factory hex and the other died to a critical hit from the hidden 45LL, although it was already shocked when hit again. My dice were pretty good today and his were pretty poor except when using FT. His FT have shot quite a bit and he hasn't run out of fuel on any of them yet. He's also immobilized yet another tank driving through a factory, he's down 3 now to immobilization, with two of them completely out of position and the third well behind the front lines and currently being shot at by the 45LL AT gun at long range. The only bright spot really for the German was that he battle hardened a 9-1, which yields the first 9-2 to appear in this CG so far. We have both had so-so leader rolls and with RO knocking down the quality of the leaders compared to RB, this will be the first uber leader in play.

Russian casualties are 3.5 S/E's. Russian continue to trade territory, although that must come to an end at some point as I will eventually run out of factories.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As promised by the younger Dennis...

Start of Russian 3.
Starting in the South
South of the valley is platoon vs. platoon with a 76* thrown in. It popped up and completely annihilated a 436 that was leading from the front! It gave me pause but than an 8(+2) broke the crew and squad with him. I don't remember the crew rallying back...
Main action in the South is for factory 8A. The OBA has given me pause otherwise I think I had enough there to push him out. The burning tank was maybe a bit of a push because I couldn't quickly followup. I think I know where the observer is now but can't put much on it. I made the comment that I think both of us are fighting too hard for this factory. I finally won a CC down here to make the argument that he should leave... but he thinks he can hide behind the smoke. He now knows there are no FTs down here though, all 3 have been revealed elsewhere.

Moving one sector north:
Pretty much a standoff, neither side wants to try to cross the gap. His lost sewer guys did not get discovered even being lost and 2 squads in the hex... I hate dice.
The rubble pile is interesting. I could put an amoeba 30 FP attack on anything that comes forward. The 5/8 ? is now known to be a dummy.

Moving one more North
The fire is spreading a bit. the breeze is a big PITA. Here is one of the bogged tanks, he missed it in CC and I shot the interloper off from adjacent.
If I can get my other OBA (radio visible) in play I might be able to get more of this factory. The other factory is a very interesting fight. He has 4 MMGs in the back line (one broken) that are holding me at bay. S15 has exchanged hands a couple of times. The FT you see has another 838 with another FT below him. As long as he doesn't have a DC for the wall we feel safe! The DC in Q15 is held my by newly minted 9-2 and there is a immobilized tank in that hex. Not sure how this will go. The Stug you see was able to use the wind to smoke the dug in tank in U12 just at the edge of the photo. Hope to take him out next turn maybe, I have two squads that can hopefully make the jump.

And finally in the North
The other dug in tank is another PITA and he's backed up by the 45LL that my 24FP kill stack can only pin so far. Still not sure I need to take this area but I suppose starting tomorrow in the valley with some smoke cover might be valuable. I have a SR just off the square,thinking of bringing it down here, might get me into those stone buildings?

As he said his dice were crazy today, my sniper got removed from the board so every shot is taken and the 2 FP shots are starting to be troublesome. His OBA got his target due to a 2+1 on a concealed guy...

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
With no sniper and boobytrap for the Soviets, he's going to take every shot he can. A 2+3 Is potentially valuable as there is still a chance of a ptc and boobytrap!