Right-to-Left text input

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was in the TLD module and was attempting to modify text in the "Notes" window. I hit some key sequence on my keyboard and now the text for this window only inputs right-to-left. Anyone know how to switch this back? I set my cursor at the end of 'German Movement" and typed "1234 " (that is a space after the 4) and it entered as shown.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't replicate that problem, but I found some old posts about holding down CTRL+Shift in Windows. Holding down both left keys switches to left-to-right, and both right keys switches to right-to-left.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I am seeing this EXACT behavior in another VASSAL module (BCS Arracourt) when I try to make an entry to a private note. It is persistent between VASSAL sessions. Not clear if it is also happening to other players on the same game? At one time I was entering text normally and a few weeks ago something changed.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Holding down CTRL+SHIFT on either left or right does nothing. They are just extra keys (there is a term for them). You have to hit another input key. I have tried all kinds of sequences trying to toggle it back - obviously not the correct one.

It only affects the Notes window in the module. It is persistent for any game - both old saved ones as well as newly started ones, so it is somehow set in the module. I can even edit the module, delete the existing Notes Window, add a new one, and it still works right-to-left. However, it is only in that window.

It also affects my VASL "Info" window, which is the same VASSAL function (i.e., a 'Notes" window object).

Somehow it has set a flag somewhere that I can not see in any preferences and can not change.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, both the CTRL and shift keys on the left side of the keyboard, or both the CTRL and shift keys on the right side. Those keys can do some things by themselves. For example, if ease of access is enabled, Windows will do things if you hold the right shift key down for 8 seconds, or press shift multiple times.

They are just extra keys (there is a term for them).
See "modifier keys" and "Bucky bits" at wikipedia. :)

If necessary, you may have to uninstall VASSAL and reinstall it. You may want to delete appdata\roaming\vassal and appdata\local\vassal subdirectories, but make sure you remember your username and password for each module because they're in the files in appdata\roaming\vassal\prefs\.

I can't find any suspicious lines in appdata\roaming\vassal\prefs\V_Global. The only one that might possibly apply to text direction is "Locale", which I have as "Locale=en".

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, armed with some of the thoughts here, I investigated further.

1. my VASSAL 3.6.7 does not have the problem.
  2. my VASSAL 3.6.9-352c5a9-master does not have the problem
I uninstalled 3.6.8, downloaded a new copy of VASSAL-3.6.8-windows-x86_64.exe from here : https://github.com/vassalengine/vassal/releases/tag/3.6.8
Same problem, but only on that version of VASSAL.

In my V_Global the Locale is 'Locale=en". I believe that refers to English language. Given all versions of VASSAL use the same C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\prefs files it is highly unlikely that is the cause.

As for ease of access features in Windows and multiple SHIFT key, I think you were thinking of this:

Does anyone else running VASSAL 3.6.8 have the same problem I have? Can anyone confirm that when using 3.6.8 (maybe just the x86_64 version) they do not have this issue in either the INFO window in VASL or the Notes window in TLD?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I see it in 3.6.8 on BCS Last Blitzkreig V 5.14.

I do not see it when I run VASSAL 3.6.7