Rice Paddy Season in Korea

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When is the traditional growing season in Korea? Is it monsoon season driven like SE Asia?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Per wikipedia, the average arrival of the monsoon is July 10. Per W1.2, if "undefined by SSR, paddy fields are Drained (G8.11) during the months of October through March, Irrigated (G8.12) April through June, and In-Season (G8.13) July through September." Again per wikipedia: "Arable land in small alluvial flats of most rural river valleys in South Korea are dedicated to paddy-field farming. Farmers assess paddy fields for any necessary repairs in February. Fields may be rebuilt, and bund breaches are repaired. This work is carried out until mid-March, when warmer spring weather allows the farmer to buy or grow rice seedlings. They are transplanted (usually by rice transplanter) from the indoors into freshly flooded paddy fields in May. Farmers tend and weed their paddy fields through the summer until around the time of Chuseok, a traditional holiday held on 15 August of the Lunar Calendar (circa mid-September by Solar Calendar). The harvest begins in October."

JR

Last edited:

imported_RobO

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Korea is generally more temperate than SE Asia. Hot and humid in the summer (when most annual rainfall occurs), cold and dry in the winter. The picture in this article shows a rice paddy in South Korea in June. Seems like it would be Irrigated in ASL terms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_field#Korea_2
Korea

Paddy field near Namwon, South Korea, early June

Arable land in small alluvial flats of most rural river valleys in South Korea are dedicated to paddy-field farming. Farmers assess paddy fields for any necessary repairs in February. Fields may be rebuilt, and bund breaches are repaired. This work is carried out until mid-March, when warmer spring weather allows the farmer to buy or grow rice seedlings. They are transplanted (usually by rice transplanter) from the indoors into freshly flooded paddy fields in May. Farmers tend and weed their paddy fields through the summer until around the time of Chuseok, a traditional holiday held on 15 August of the Lunar Calendar (circa mid-September by Solar Calendar). The harvest begins in October. Coordinating the harvest can be challenging because many Korean farmers have small paddy fields in a number of locations around their villages, and modern harvesting machines are sometimes shared between extended family members. Farmers usually dry the harvested grains in the sun before bringing them to market.

The Chinese (or Sino-Korean) character for 'field', jeon (Hangul: 전; Hanja: 田), is found in some place names, especially small farming townships and villages. However, the specific Korean term for 'paddy' is a purely Korean word, "non" (Hangul: 논).

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It is worth adding that Koreans used for centuries human excrement as fertilizer. Apparently American troops were initially reluctant to go offroad and into the fields due to the stench.

This probably qualified Korea at the time as a s*******-country. :sick:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's the only way to tell who the King of the Britons is--he's the only one not covered in it. And some moistened bint chucked a scimitar at him.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When is the traditional growing season in Korea? Is it monsoon season driven like SE Asia?
Since I think you are asking for ASL:
Barring SSR otherwise....rule W1.2 calls it:
Drained March through Oct. Irrigated April through June. In-Season July through Sept.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since I think you are asking for ASL:
Oh no; I'm just making plans for after the war when we settle some industrial farms on NK land to make the land produce like it should. ;)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Oh no; I'm just making plans for after the war when we settle some industrial farms on NK land to make the land produce like it should. ;)
It's all going to be radioactive. You'll be growing rice with three heads.

JR

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You'll be growing rice with three heads.
No, my employees will be growing rice to sell to people that will eventually have three heads. And my employees will have three arms, so that two employees will do the work of three! Winning baby!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No, my employees will be growing rice to sell to people that will eventually have three heads. And my employees will have three arms, so that two employees will do the work of three! Winning baby!
Their medical coverage will need to be upgraded to cover the "expansions" though

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought using human feces to fertilize was what caused all the defectors to have parasites?