RH3 A Fallen Lion

Rhett

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Here is another amazing scenario from Hannu and me :) ...

Our previous scenarios are:
RH1 Finlands Lås
RH2 Operation Rype

This time we are in eastern Karelia in the summer of 1944 during the huge Soviet offensive. After pressing the Finns on the Karelian Isthmus for eleven days the Soviets began operations beyond Lake Ladoga. A strong advance of Soviet infantry is met by the elite Jäger company of the Finnish 1 division. This is a fight in woods, brush and marshes in a basically uninhabited landscape.

For more information about the battle and its context see:

( in Finnish, use a translator)

For this scenario I made a VASL map called RH1. It features part of a big lake, paths through woods, brush, marsh, ponds and a single road. I also made map RH2 which is the other part of the lake and has similar terrain (but which we did not use in the scenario).

Map-making is fun, but you must have experience with an advanced image editor like GIMP or Photoshop. I found patterns for woods and brush on the net, but had to make the marsh-pattern myself. I did not implement any terrain modifications.

Note that you must rename bdRH1.zip and bdRH2.zip to bdRH1 and bdRh2 and put them in your vasl board folder.

Have fun.

Attachments

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank ya, nice to D/L a scenario card and not have to decipher it like I have too do with FrF, DTF and LC scenario cards.

Rhett

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Nice job on the maps. I printed them out and they look great!
Thank you.

The maps are made for a screen. That means they are 72dpi.

If you want good quality print-outs you need maps with at least 300dpi.

This means scaling up the hexgrid and patterns about four times and then remaking the map. This is not a trivial job.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Map-making is fun, but you must have experience with an advanced image editor like GIMP or Photoshop. I found patterns for woods and brush on the net, but had to make the marsh-pattern myself.
The marsh pattern (and others) can be found by looking in the VASL module itself. You will probably need to change the file extension from .jar to .zip and then unzip it.

I don't know where the official collection is these days, but the Old School stuff can be found here:

Tom