RH2 Operation Rype

Rhett

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
RH2 Operation Rype is a new scenario Hannu and I have designed. RH1 can be found here:

RH1 Finlands Lås

RH2 is about an operation I am sure few of you have heard of. Towards the end of the war the Allies sought to limit the number of retreating German divisions out of Norway. They did not want them to take part in the final defense of Germany. British and American sabotage groups were dropped behind enemy lines. Their aim was cut the railway line that the Germans used for transport.

Operation Rype is about one of these sabotage groups. The members of the group were drawn from the American 99'th Infantry Battalion (Separate). Read about the 99'th and Operation Rype here:

Operation Rype

We have used the information found in this Norwegian source:

Kampen om Nordlandsbanen

There is a YouTube video about the battle here:

The Battle of the Northland Railroad 1945

Hannu and I thought that this battle should be worthy a scenario, but we were unsure if it would fit the ASL format. Operation Rype is not about two basically equal forces fighting a battle but is more a partisan type scenario were one side is supposed to do something (blow something up) and then get away.

We introduced a number of random factors that better reflect the uncertainty of such an operation. We are happy to say that even if the OB is small and the victory conditions are simple no two games have been the same.

We had problems finding suitable maps. We ended up using three maps without hills and defining away most of the terrain. We hope it is easy to visualize the "only brush and woods" rule. I have enclosed a VASL setup for the game that shows how we intend the playing area to be (even if the .zip file type works for me you likely need to rename it to RH2-start.vsav).

Maybe an idea would be to have some ASL maps that contained no man-made features at all, only small lakes, marsh, brush, woods and open ground. This would better suite scenarios in Norway, Finland and northern Russia.

We started with 7 turns, then 8 and now 9 to give Group Rype a broader set of possibilities to operate. Time should not be an arbitrary limit for a scenario like this. Because the OB is small the scenario is fast-paced, even with 9 turns, and can be completed in about an hour. I would recommend best of 3 games win.

Please tell if there are any errors or anything unclear on the scenario card or special rules.

Have fun.

EDIT: Hannu reminded me that the VASL file does not reflect the current version of the scenario, so I updated it.

Attachments

Last edited: