RF: X-Tag

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Russian is allowed to purchase 3 infantry coy on the second scenario. This is according to MMP and Fort after we asked them for clarification.

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Russian is allowed to purchase 3 infantry coy on the second scenario. This is according to MMP and Fort after we asked them for clarification.
[/QU
The only that would stop the Russians from purchasing 3 infantry companies would be "enough points"

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
Yes, the Russians know about the 3 inf coy purchase limit on second scenario. I will not say what we purchased as the scenario is in progress. (Turn 2)
Dave

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
RED FACTORIES, X-TAG, Session 7, Turns 3.5 & 4 played:

Weather Report: The heavy rains have ceased and visibility has cleared, allowing for the placement of Smoke.

NORTH SECTOR: the Germans are highly aggressive in this sector, closing with Russian forces in the centre and along the right flank.

Left Flank: the German advance continues, but its rate has slowed slightly. The Germans have captured the School south of the Bread Factory Gully, but are meeting stiffening Russian resistance in houses to the east between the two gullies.

Centre Sector: Germans Sturmtroops have pushed through the cut off platoon and are assaulting the Burg/Castle, having already managed to capture the building north of square in Close Combat. The Russians are defended the building east of square, with light mortar and anti-tank gun support from the Slag Heap and machine-gun fire from Hall 2, forcing the several German units to rout back across Mashinaya Street to be rallied.

Right Flank: The Germans have boldly advanced across Samarkandskaya Street, with a Sturmgeschütze brazenly moving up to the Hall 1 to support the assaulting troops. The Russians strongpoint in Hall 2 continues to harass German units in the Central Sector with machine-gun fire from Hall 2, and German units assault Hall 1 with rifle fire Anti-Tank Rifle fire, even managing to Shock the crew of the Sturmgeschütze. A Russian counterattack lead by a pair of SMG squads attacked the Shocked Sturmgeschütze and accompanying infantry; however, the German infantry was alert and managed to prevent the Russians to infiltrate. In the ensuing Close Combat, a SMG squad was killed, but the other managed to kill the helpless Sturmgeschütze. The surviving units are now locked in Hand-to-Hand Combat. But in conjunction with German units from the Central Sector, are pushing into Hall 1.

CENTRE SECTOR: the Germans are somewhat static in this sector, with small incursions towards the Russians’ line on either flank of the sector. Reinforcements from off map have reached the front line and prepare to move into the fight.

Left Flank: German units along this flank in conjunction with Germans units of the Northern Sector have pushed into Hall 1. The Russian are tenaciously defended the factory with a mixture of SMG and conscript troops. Units from the German reinforcement company have reached Ladder House and are preparing to reinforce the advance.

Centre Sector: the Germans are maintaining a toehold in west end of Hall 4, fending off small Russian incursions with minor losses. The reinforcement company has reached railroad to stiffen the German line. The German Fire Base continually searches out targets to strike at, but the Russians are keeping out of its LOS.

Right Flank: the Germans have made limited advances out of Hall 5a/Shop 1 towards Hall 5, however, the Russians are relative quiet preferring to keep concealed while forming a defensive line at west side of the hall.

SOUTH SECTOR: the last turn and a half, the German advance continued to be dogged by heavy machine-gun and light mortar fire from upper floors and rooftop of Halls 9 & 10. A Russian artillery spotting round menacingly lingers about, forcing the German units to keep concealed or out of sight of Russian observer.

Left Flank: German units have advanced through Hall 8 capturing it with little if any fight and have moved units to the north and east side of the factory, bringing their firepower to bear on the Russians across the railroad.

Centre Sector: German units have advanced through Hall 8a capturing with a Close Combat against a Russian conscript and then solidified their gains on the east side. German units north of the gully are slowly advancing along Vosolarskaya Street. A Sturmgeschütze was forced to withdraw from the battle due to a Malfunctioning main armament.

Right Flank: German units south of the gully are struggling to advance as Russian units have put some resistance at the gully. As Turn 4 ended, the Russians had launched a small counterattack on a German squad in the gully, resulting the Russian squad being killed, but not before it managed to kill half the German squad.

Summary: While the German advance continues, it has slowed slightly in the face of Russian machine-gun and light mortar fire. Casualties have been light as the Russians have given up ground with little or no serious fight. The Russians forces are gathering in the core factory areas, leaving a light perimeter to slow the Germans in order to move reinforcements to any potential breakthrough area. The weather has proven to be a cursing and a blessing; proving cover for the advance, but a hindrance for fire.

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
RED FACTORIES, X-TAG, Session 7, Turns 3.5 & 4 played:

View attachment 9862

Weather Report: The heavy rains have ceased and visibility has cleared, allowing for the placement of Smoke.

NORTH SECTOR: the Germans are highly aggressive in this sector, closing with Russian forces in the centre and along the right flank.

Left Flank: the German advance continues, but its rate has slowed slightly. The Germans have captured the School south of the Bread Factory Gully, but are meeting stiffening Russian resistance in houses to the east between the two gullies.

View attachment 9863

Centre Sector: Germans Sturmtroops have pushed through the cut off platoon and are assaulting the Burg/Castle, having already managed to capture the building north of square in Close Combat. The Russians are defended the building east of square, with light mortar and anti-tank gun support from the Slag Heap and machine-gun fire from Hall 2, forcing the several German units to rout back across Mashinaya Street to be rallied.

View attachment 9864

Right Flank: The Germans have boldly advanced across Samarkandskaya Street, with a Sturmgeschütze brazenly moving up to the Hall 1 to support the assaulting troops. The Russians strongpoint in Hall 2 continues to harass German units in the Central Sector with machine-gun fire from Hall 2, and German units assault Hall 1 with rifle fire Anti-Tank Rifle fire, even managing to Shock the crew of the Sturmgeschütze. A Russian counterattack lead by a pair of SMG squads attacked the Shocked Sturmgeschütze and accompanying infantry; however, the German infantry was alert and managed to prevent the Russians to infiltrate. In the ensuing Close Combat, a SMG squad was killed, but the other managed to kill the helpless Sturmgeschütze. The surviving units are now locked in Hand-to-Hand Combat. But in conjunction with German units from the Central Sector, are pushing into Hall 1.

CENTRE SECTOR: the Germans are somewhat static in this sector, with small incursions towards the Russians’ line on either flank of the sector. Reinforcements from off map have reached the front line and prepare to move into the fight.

Left Flank: German units along this flank in conjunction with Germans units of the Northern Sector have pushed into Hall 1. The Russian are tenaciously defended the factory with a mixture of SMG and conscript troops. Units from the German reinforcement company have reached Ladder House and are preparing to reinforce the advance.
View attachment 9865

Centre Sector: the Germans are maintaining a toehold in west end of Hall 4, fending off small Russian incursions with minor losses. The reinforcement company has reached railroad to stiffen the German line. The German Fire Base continually searches out targets to strike at, but the Russians are keeping out of its LOS.

View attachment 9867

Right Flank: the Germans have made limited advances out of Hall 5a/Shop 1 towards Hall 5, however, the Russians are relative quiet preferring to keep concealed while forming a defensive line at west side of the hall.

View attachment 9868

SOUTH SECTOR: the last turn and a half, the German advance continued to be dogged by heavy machine-gun and light mortar fire from upper floors and rooftop of Halls 9 & 10. A Russian artillery spotting round menacingly lingers about, forcing the German units to keep concealed or out of sight of Russian observer.

Left Flank: German units have advanced through Hall 8 capturing it with little if any fight and have moved units to the north and east side of the factory, bringing their firepower to bear on the Russians across the railroad.

View attachment 9869

Centre Sector: German units have advanced through Hall 8a capturing with a Close Combat against a Russian conscript and then solidified their gains on the east side. German units north of the gully are slowly advancing along Vosolarskaya Street. A Sturmgeschütze was forced to withdraw from the battle due to a Malfunctioning main armament.

View attachment 9870

Right Flank: German units south of the gully are struggling to advance as Russian units have put some resistance at the gully. As Turn 4 ended, the Russians had launched a small counterattack on a German squad in the gully, resulting the Russian squad being killed, but not before it managed to kill half the German squad.

Summary: While the German advance continues, it has slowed slightly in the face of Russian machine-gun and light mortar fire. Casualties have been light as the Russians have given up ground with little or no serious fight. The Russians forces are gathering in the core factory areas, leaving a light perimeter to slow the Germans in order to move reinforcements to any potential breakthrough area. The weather has proven to be a cursing and a blessing; proving cover for the advance, but a hindrance for fire.
Really interesting to follow. Excuse my ignorance, but I was wondering what purpose those little plastic crosses have.
Thanks,
Ricardo

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Really interesting to follow. Excuse my ignorance, but I was wondering what purpose those little plastic crosses have.
The plastic x-es are tile spacers. They can be used for any purpose but mostly I have heard of players using them to mark units that have already moved in the MPh. In a large scenario it's easy to lose track.

JR

afgur

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Country
llUnited States
Hello all

where is the reference for this ? mod for russians on first day is 0.

Alan

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all

where is the reference for this ? mod for russians on first day is 0.

Alan
11.55 Initial Scenario Special Rules:
I.6
"just as if this second scenario were occurring on the next CG day.”

11.6161 Historical DRM Chart: "...and also inversely to adjust the maximum number of infantry Companies a side may purchase per CG day.”

Date / / RO CG German/Russian DRM
24 Oct / / -2/-1

(The inverse of -1 is +1, 2+1 = 3)

Last edited:

afgur

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Country
llUnited States
yes i understand how the modifiers work, i was reading "next cg day" as a new cg day so thanks for the clarification.

Alan

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
yes i understand how the modifiers work, i was reading "next cg day" as a new cg day so thanks for the clarification.

Alan
That is how I was reading it at first. It could be read either way. Hence the need for clarification.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Alan
It is a new CG Day, and the quoted line gives the details for determining the CG Day modifiers.

afgur

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Country
llUnited States
It is a new CG Day, and the quoted line gives the details for determining the CG Day modifiers.
nrbh but I remember in the first scenario of cg ssrs or whatever they are called (I6) that it said to play a second scenario on same day which has a mod of 0 since it is being played on the 24th. for me as well as honza and maybe others it is confusing could use some errata or i'm dense:)

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
nrbh but I remember in the first scenario of cg ssrs or whatever they are called (I6) that it said to play a second scenario on same day which has a mod of 0 since it is being played on the 24th. for me as well as honza and maybe others it is confusing could use some errata or i'm dense:)
Errata is not needed. There is no error. A clarification has been given. That's what this level of confusion calls for.

The rule says play a second scenario on the same day (the 232rd), but 'as if occurring on the next CG Day(the 24th)'...which (the 24th) has a modifier of -1 for the Soviets.

I understand you feel this is confusing, and apparently you are not alone.

afgur

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Country
llUnited States
i just reread I.6 in the rb right before i logged on here and saw what you're saying, a little nudge helped. thanks again.

Alan

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Errata is not needed. There is no error. A clarification has been given. That's what this level of confusion calls for.

The rule says play a second scenario on the same day (the 232rd), but 'as if occurring on the next CG Day(the 24th)'...which (the 24th) has a modifier of -1 for the Soviets.

I understand you feel this is confusing, and apparently you are not alone.
He was not alone Fort!! My brother and I had the same confusion and settled on this way after asking here as well... a simple example/clarification like "This means blah blah blah" would have been handy.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He was not alone Fort!! My brother and I had the same confusion and settled on this way after asking here as well... a simple example/clarification like "This means blah blah blah" would have been handy.
My last sentence of the post you quoted stated that it to be not an isolated question.

When the question was asked in an earlier thread it was answered both by myself and by MMP.

With my reply in post #29 of this thread I 'simply' stated the logic path to arrive at the correct reading.

Rules page space is premium territory, examples take up space. I personally love more examples and explanations. Not everyone agrees. Jim Bishop and I talked, over many ASLoK driving hours, about how to write a truly comprehensive examples of play guidebook with hyperlinked rules references embedded in the examples. If done right, I believe it would be a boon to the hobby.

G.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Why would they choose 2 Militia coy?

How will THAT slow the German advance?

The Russian needs some "blocking OBA" 80mm in the open 120mm in TEM's.

Then the R needs lots of "?" at least 20 up to 40 , mix this with a bit of wire and Set DC along with real units.

Then CL units ( most likely Rifle as they have some "range"), next consider OB AFV, these will be a "bitch" to clear from factories
along with MOL capability all round. At least 2 Coy...

Nothing like a firewall to totally stuff up a German advance, especially in a sewer rich area. This is a sacrifice as it will open up
the roofs BUT time is what the Russian desperately needs.

HW Coy are also good for Russian as they have 50 cal and your main smoke support with 81mm.

Think +3 TEM + smoke hindrance = another "miss" for the German .