Revised Two Weeks in Normandy

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Security access is likely to be applied in the next couple days, (I asked CyberRanger to apply it July 8 or afterwards).

When looking at the Axis OOB reinforcement schedule, it is easy to conclude why the British and Canadians historically were moving so slow and why the Americans were able to bust out so easily.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Of course. As the Germans, the main idea is to keep them form heading east, towards your homeland. Hence they had a very strong east side.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I remember in one PBEM of 2innorm i re-took Pegasus bridge with a Panzer battalion of the 21st Panzer that held out for the duration of the game. But that was mere luck.
Though Jamiam's 'Ghengkhis Khan' opening is very impressive.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Dang. The Germans are ... gone. Nothing, no nuclei to rebuild new lines around. The British and Canadians must have been able to split the map and thus the Germans in two, in one or two more turns. Game over..

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Wir kapitulieren nie! ;) Don't give up hope too soon. Due to the new reorganisation rules the allied forces may partially be unable to move further inland immediatly. This could be our chance. Could.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dicke Bertha said:
Dang. The Germans are ... gone. Nothing, no nuclei to rebuild new lines around. The British and Canadians must have been able to split the map and thus the Germans in two, in one or two more turns. Game over..
That is probably a correct assumption.

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Dicke Bertha said:
I saw JAMiAM's 'first strike' but can anyone put up a map for those who don't have TOAWIII yet for the Germans going into their turn 1 after something like this?

Problem is with 'Fog of War' on it's impossible to see exact state of German line.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
General Staff said:
I saw JAMiAM's 'first strike' but can anyone put up a map for those who don't have TOAWIII yet for the Germans going into their turn 1 after something like this?

Problem is with 'Fog of War' on it's impossible to see exact state of German line.
Second that.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Working from memory, I don't recall much German stationed inland between Caen and St Lo, and reinforcements for the Germans trickle in the first few turns... could be wrong of course. Allied recon level is also high (?) so...

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
The good news- I think?- for everyone is that this is one of the most played scenarios (you can read popular too) and generally regarded as one of the most balanced. So maybe an excellent opportunity for any number of players to take TOAWIII out for a test drive. Also short, so you can get put out of your misery quickly if necessary (12 Turns).

So even if the Axis get stomped to dust, it will help the general direction of TOAWIII in that respect going forward. As you can see, I'm already desperately looking for ways out...;)

John Osborne

Reaction score
General Staff said:
As you can see, I'm already desperately looking for ways out...;)
What do you mean "Looking for a way out". We're going to stump them, grind them, push them back into the sea :laugh: Well thats the thought at first :nuts:

John

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A lot does depend on the Allied first turn...posting my T1 for Two Weeks in Allied. Had a slow start in a few areas for not getting some over-runs, but would guess something like this is probably more typical.

With Axis T1, the bulk of armored reserves are not present - just 21st Panzer, but when they start arriving - they do so steadily 12th SS Panzer, Panzer Lehr (T2+); a number of flak units with 88's that can bolster infantry; Tigers from I SS PzK; 17th SS PzG; a buttload of rocket artillery and 2nd Panzer, along with more infantry. In a lot of cases, they are coming in near Caen or south of Carentan, so they won't have far to go to the front and will be reasonably fresh.

So, the Axis should not get too discouraged - 4 strong armored formations, more SS PzG's, the FJ's with rocket artillery and 88's...

Granted, the Allies have a lot of EVERYTHING...including some weaknesses.

Getting recon units onto the hilltops is good for intelligence - a tip for both sides.

John Osborne

Reaction score
As I'm talking about blowing up bridges in TOAW III on another thread. What is the house rules for that and is there any house rules that we or I may have missed during the discussion on using 2ndWiN scenario?

John

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
John Osborne said:
As I'm talking about blowing up bridges in TOAW III on another thread. What is the house rules for that and is there any house rules that we or I may have missed during the discussion on using 2ndWiN scenario?

John
No there is no house rule in this scenario. It is more the exception that there are house rules regarding bridge blowing. There's only one scenario i know for sure about a house rule regarding bridge blowing, A bridge too far 44 by Erik Nygaard, maybe also in Plan Martin. But these honour rules only affect land units.

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
John Osborne said:
No. I think all bridges are game here. If it's not mentioned in the Scenario Briefing by the author and unless both parties agree on a house rule, that's always the case.

John Osborne

Reaction score
If its not mention in the scenario, shouldn't there be house rules for this workshop or we're just learning the fine art of tactics. I don't want my counterpart get upset if I do something that he didn't know about :D You know I'm learning (let me reprise that) getting my butt kicked from my teacher "Siberian Heat"

John

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
John Osborne said:
If its not mention in the scenario, shouldn't there be house rules for this workshop or we're just learning the fine art of tactics. I don't want my counterpart get upset if I do something that he didn't know about :D You know I'm learning (let me reprise that) getting my butt kicked from my teacher "Siberian Heat".
Well, I think you're a very lucky man in that you've got IMO a brilliant opponent- c.f. http://www.warfarehq.com/index.php?page=after_action_reports/toaw_aar/two_weeks_bk_aar.shtml though he'll probably cry foul and disown it. Since I assume he's winning just ask and he's usually happy to help in my experience.

In the tournament I think the rules are just Advanced Game rules (Fog of War etc...), bearing in mind whatever is in the scenario briefing by the designer. And there are a few things here like the asterisked VP locations that need consideration.

Otherwise once we get separate threads per side just ask if you're not sure and someone I'm sure will answer.

Hope this helps.