Revised Two Weeks in Normandy

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
I'd suggest a slightly revised version of this scenario to used in the game, that takes care of the three slight blemishes in an otherwise spectacular scenario.

If you'd like, I should be able to make it available within 48 hours.

Essentially, it will set the Max Rounds Per Battle to 3, and remove eligibility for reconstitution for the ground units of both sides, so that all the replacements go straight back into on-map units, instead of being sucked up into units that will appear on turn 28 of a 12 turn max game.:surprise:

The former change will allow folks to utilize one of the major new features of TOAW III, while the latter will take care of a problem with the scenario that has existed since it was broken away from the longer Four Weeks in Normandy, that Brett designed.

(Late Edit) Oh, and one other little thing. I'd put a supply point in Cherbourg, to do away with the annoying habit of the German units retreating into the oncoming Allied forces, since all the other supply points are on the southern map edge. This way, the forces in the Cotentin peninsula will retreat toward Cherbourg, as they did historically.

Last edited:

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
You must mean 49.3333 hours. And I thought Kentucky lads were fairly easy-going. Of more immediate concern, can you or will you or do you want to participate? ;)

We could sure use the help.

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JAMiAM said:
I'd suggest a slightly revised version of this scenario to used in the game, that takes care of the two slight blemishes in an otherwise spectacular scenario.

If you'd like, I should be able to make it available within 48 hours.

Essentially, it will set the Max Rounds Per Battle to 3, and remove eligibility for reconstitution for the ground units of both sides, so that all the replacements go straight back into on-map units, instead of being sucked up into units that will appear on turn 28 of a 12 turn max game.:surprise:

The former change will allow folks to utilize one of the major new features of TOAW III, while the latter will take care of a problem with the scenario that has existed since it was broken away from the longer Four Weeks in Normandy, that Brett designed.
Hey JAMIAM, yes - the scenario revision would be appropriate and good to use on both counts. Thank you very much!

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Heinz57 said:
Hey JAMIAM, yes - the scenario revision would be appropriate and good to use on both counts. Thank you very much!
I've emailed Brett to either get his blessing, or for him to do the work personally. I noticed from his forum profile that he hasn't been on the site for nearly three years, so I don't know if the email account on file is still valid. If I don't receive a reply, within 48 hours, then I'll go ahead and release the file. Otherwise, I would prefer to bring him onboard to make the changes, since it is his scenario.

It'd be great to get him back into actively scenario designing...

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Please find attached, the scenario file for your evaluation and use. The edits are notated in the scenario briefing and the scenario file has been renamed as "Two Weeks in Normandy 44 - T3NPW"

I haven't yet received a reply from Brett, so I'm going on the assumption that he is either temporarily indisposed, or disinterested in personally revising it at this time.

Please let me know if you find any problems with the file.

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JAMiAM said:
Please find attached, the scenario file for your evaluation and use. The edits are notated in the scenario briefing and the scenario file has been renamed as "Two Weeks in Normandy 44 - T3NPW"

I haven't yet received a reply from Brett, so I'm going on the assumption that he is either temporarily indisposed, or disinterested in personally revising it at this time.

Please let me know if you find any problems with the file.
Thanks James - a good pick up on the Axis supply point for Cherbourg. I appreciate your assistance on this!

A quick note - Almost done with the simplified OOB for both sides and the extended OOB for the Allies - should wrap that up tomorrow, but might have some time to get fancied up a bit and include those files with the zip.

Can see you are keeping busy these days! :crosseye:

Take it easy!

Mark

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
JAMiAM said:
(Late Edit) Oh, and one other little thing. I'd put a supply point in Cherbourg, to do away with the annoying habit of the German units retreating into the oncoming Allied forces, since all the other supply points are on the southern map edge. This way, the forces in the Cotentin peninsula will retreat toward Cherbourg, as they did historically.
Wondering on impact of this. It used to suggest to Allies they cut off the peninsula ASAP with no supply point and Germans to pedal those bicycles like maniacs to get out in time. Let's see.

Glad I'm up as an Axis advisor- it gives us an advantage and let's see how we can use it. And thanks.

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
General Staff said:
Glad I'm up as an Axis advisor- it gives us an advantage and let's see how we can use it. And thanks.
That's okay. All of the Allied team members will be using this opening turn for their games...:devious:

Oops...nevermind. This was from a game where the MRPB was set to three, but I hadn't yet made the other changes. Oh well. It can still serve as a reminder of what's possible to accomplish on Turn One with the Allies, and what kind of disaster can face the Germans from the start.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
JAMiAM said:
That's okay. All of the Allied team members will be using this opening turn for their games...:devious:
We should build a first-turn DB, I have some DNO opening turns that make your all warm and fuzzy inside while watching them :devious: :pIMP:

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
just tried the scenario
works well though a couple of questions:

- i have lost quite a few planes as allied, has the anti aircraft fire from groundtroops been improved in toaw III? the planes were all on combat support and i even lost some high altitude planes. Most of my losses occured against ground troops which didn't have any aa guns inside its equipement.

- the german could bomb my ships like 3 times with his coastal forts. Is it due to the max round per battle being set at 3?

that's all for now

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
viridomaros said:
just tried the scenario

- i have lost quite a few planes as allied, has the anti aircraft fire from groundtroops been improved in toaw III? the planes were all on combat support and i even lost some high altitude planes. Most of my losses occured against ground troops which didn't have any aa guns inside its equipement.

- the german could bomb my ships like 3 times with his coastal forts. Is it due to the max round per battle being set at 3?

that's all for now
yes and yes :D

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
viridomaros said:
just tried the scenario

that's all for now
Yeah, AA fire has actually been put too high in TOAW III, but they are working on dropping it to more realistic levels in the the near future.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
JAMiAM said:

Oops...nevermind. This was from a game where the MRPB was set to three, but I hadn't yet made the other changes. Oh well. It can still serve as a reminder of what's possible to accomplish on Turn One with the Allies, and what kind of disaster can face the Germans from the start.
I was going to open this up and post a screen shot for those that don't yet have TOAW III, but I didn't want to give any intel away, so maybe you could post a screen-shot (if you aren't worried about intel leaking out) or post a screen-shot with whatever intel you don't want getting out erased...

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Veers said:
I was going to open this up and post a screen shot for those that don't yet have TOAW III, but I didn't want to give any intel away, so maybe you could post a screen-shot (if you aren't worried about intel leaking out) or post a screen-shot with whatever intel you don't want getting out erased...
I'm not worried about it. Go ahead and post it. Anyone who is interested could just as easily download the files, open them and watch the replay from the German side. Or, they can see the end of turn file from the Allied side.

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Veers said:
Yeah, AA fire has actually been put too high in TOAW III, but they are working on dropping it to more realistic levels in the the near future.
We'll be releasing another "beta" patch in the next few days. I would suggest that all players download and play with that one, when it is released.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
JAMiAM said:
We'll be releasing another "beta" patch in the next few days. I would suggest that all players download and play with that one, when it is released.
Excellent.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Jam as the Allies.

Now, the first, and most obvious thing you'll notice s the complete lack of German units. Jam not only destroyed the units defending the beaches, but he has pushed back any that remain to a place where retaking the Allied supply points will be nearly impossible for the German player.

Perhaps the second thing is the bridges he's secured. All of the green arrows point to bridge over a super river that he has captured. Now super rivers certainly aren't impossible to get over with Engineers, but capturing an intact bridge makes life a lot easier, and makes an Allied advance that much quicker.

The most important bridge he captured, arguably, was Pegasus Bridge. He's now got a supply route to the UK 6th Ariborne divisionon the other side of the Orne River. He's also sent a Battalion of the 27th Arm Bde to assist the UK 6th Airborne.

You'll notice that he has the 192nd PzGren Regt., of the 21st Panzer Division, in a pretty pickle, faced with destruction against the Orne river, nearly surrounded.

Further, you'll notice that almost all of his Canadian and British troops in and east of Caen are dug in. This is important because the 21st Panzer is lurking around Caen and a counter-attack form this tough german unit can be expected.

On the other side of the coin, you'll see that off of Utah beach he's captured two crossings over the Merderet River, allowing for good supply to his 82nd Ariborne Division.

You'll also notice the crossings made by the 101st Airborne. The two north of Carentan will significantly assist his advance, as he'll be able to up his supply by capturing Carentan quicker.

Maybe Jam could add to this...His strategy, and goals...timetable, etc.

It's a rather large image, so I've provided a link to go see it, rather than pasting it in as I would for an AAR...

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1483/twoweeksinnormandy1944mrpb33on.jpg

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Veers said:
Maybe Jam could add to this...His strategy, and goals...timetable, etc.
Holy s...s...smokes. I've seen this done at the western end before but never like this around Caen. Though it's been a while. Thanks for the map- I'd forgotten how truly terrifying opening a German turn 1 can be.

As Germans the first thing I'd say is the only thing you really have on your side is time. 12 turns of a rollercoaster to hang on by your fingernails and try to keep the Allies away from your major VP locations (read the briefing carefully for the impact also of the asterisked locations like St Lo, Cherbourg etc...). Forget about hurling the Allies back into the sea.

As to opponent strategy, believe me, it's to win, by taking the VP locations necessary and as quickly as possible. I'm not sure he's going to enlighten us any further other than this PsyOps operation to try to frighten us by telegraphing more intentions other than bounding inland ASAP. And right now he's probably working on incorporating items in the new patch to disadvantage us like a reduction in AA effectiveness. ;)

One other item. We'll eventually maybe need 2 threads (Axis and Allies) as we had for Wintergewitter 42 with access only by players on that side.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
General Staff said:
One other item. We'll eventually maybe need 2 threads (Axis and Allies) as we had for Wintergewitter 42 with access only by players on that side.
That is in the works.