Revised larger 2D unit counters for “The Renaissance”

HOPLITE1963

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Like many fans of this game I have been a bit frustrated by the small size of its 2D unit graphics even when zoomed in. However having done some playing around with the 2DsymbolsLg file I found that it was possible to do something about it, and after several months of tweaking have posted the results of my labours in the downloads section.

As I would very much wish to encourage others to feel free to borrow / experiment along the same lines, I thought it might be helpful if I explained how I went about reworking the counters. First off I have moved the unit type symbol to the centre of the counter so that it can be larger. I have also gone for a separate colour for the centre of every nationality rather than having the colours change by troop type. The way that unit direction and formation is shown has also been changed and the symbol for units in line has been moved to the top of the counter in all cases. Also as units not in line, block or skirmish etc are in column so I have decided to have this indicated by the absence of a column symbol.

Finally I have fund that its possible to make the counters themselves bigger and therefore easier to see (up to a point) “The original game shipped with 2Dlarge unit counters 21 pixels wide. My attached counter mod includes 3 files with the new style unit counters one with 23 pixels wide counters, one with counters 25 pixels wide and finally one with 27 pixels wide counters. I also experimented with 29 and 31 wide counters and wile the game will run with them they overlap on the map and hide detail on counters next to them on the left.

I plan to do a whole series of mods using this style of counters so would be very grateful you could all let me know the counter size you prefer
Ian

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Since I've never uploaded anything I am not sure if you have control over this or not Hoplite1963 - you should consider moving the uploaded file to the Musket and Pike Series area of the Download section for your REN material. At any rate, I will give these a look when I get time and maybe write more a little later :).

Steve

HOPLITE1963

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Since I've never uploaded anything I am not sure if you have control over this or not Hoplite1963 - you should consider moving the uploaded file to the Musket and Pike Series area of the Download section for your REN material. At any rate, I will give these a look when I get time and maybe write more a little later :).

Steve
Hi Steve
Thanks for that. I uploaded the files a fiew hours before the dedicated Musket and Pike section was set up. I will move them to the new locaton in the next couple of days or so.

Tom Bridges

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How did you make the counters larger? Could this be done for the Nappy games or other HPS games?

HOPLITE1963

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
How did you make the counters larger? Could this be done for the Nappy games or other HPS games?
Hi
I basically just added extra pixels round the outside of the counters in photoshop. I think that the method should work for the Napoleonic and Early American Wars games (which I have) and the American Civil War ones (which I don’t) also making the counters simpler and a careful choice of colours (I used a colour wheel) helps them to appear bigger as well.

Ian

HOPLITE1963

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll

Steve
Hi
I have now posted this in the Misc section of Musket and Pike. There is also a 25px wide screenshot there as well.

HOPLITE1963

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Boy I'm dead keen to see these. If poss could you please post a screen shot?
Hi
Just worked out how to do this. If you look in the Misc section of the Musket and Pike downloads you will see a 25 pixels counter screenshot from the battle of Flodden. Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Ian

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Took this screen shot of the 23 pixel version. Looks like a great job, and I can't imagine why it wouldn't work in the other series as you'd mentioned Hoplite.

HOPLITE1963

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Took this screen shot of the 23 pixel version. Looks like a great job, and I can't imagine why it wouldn't work in the other series as you'd mentioned Hoplite.

Hi trauth116
Thanks very much for that. I had neglected to explore the modding possibilities of the "divisional markings" file, now there's a whole new ball game to play with. I will gave to have a look at it ASAP.

Regards
Ian