Reverse Bypass

Tigernaut

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One would think that on Engaging Reverse Movement, paying 1MP to stop, and then another to engage Reverse (D2.23), the CAFP should now be at the other end of the hexside being bypassed. However, D2.32 tells us the CAFP is based on the vertex in which the VCA is ‘facing’ rather than ‘direction of movement’, which seems more logical to me.
“VCA corner of the counter resting on the vertex of that hexside in the direction the
vehicle is facing.“ Surely this means, that despite engaging reverse motion, any LOS needs to be drawn to the vertex in which the VCA is facing, despite being illogical. ? Now personally, I’d be content with the vertex being at the end of the hexside in which the vehicle has moved towards but this may need a Perrysez ?

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
One would think that on Engaging Reverse Movement, paying 1MP to stop, and then another to engage Reverse (D2.23), the CAFP should now be at the other end of the hexside being bypassed. However, D2.32 tells us the CAFP is based on the vertex in which the VCA is ‘facing’ rather than ‘direction of movement’, which seems more logical to me.
“VCA corner of the counter resting on the vertex of that hexside in the direction the
vehicle is facing.“ Surely this means, that despite engaging reverse motion, any LOS needs to be drawn to the vertex in which the VCA is facing, despite being illogical. ? Now personally, I’d be content with the vertex being at the end of the hexside in which the vehicle has moved towards but this may need a Perrysez ?
I think the general consensus is that the CAFP moves to the rear. I'm 99% happy with that. Cheers.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Q&A:
D2.32 Is LOS drawn from the front CAFP in ALL cases for both fire from and to the vehicle in
bypass? Even if the vehicle is in reverse motion?
A. Yes. Yes. [J1]

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
Q&A:
D2.32 Is LOS drawn from the front CAFP in ALL cases for both fire from and to the vehicle in
A. Yes. Yes. [J1]
Huh, told you I was only 99% happy!!!! Well found Klas. So as the vehicle makes a start MP with reverse intent DFF is aimed at the RR37-SS37-RR36 CAFP. Cheers.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Note that the MP cost of bypassing a Narrow Street is 1 MP - regardless of whether one is CE or not.

B13.141 EX, 3rd paragraph:
"A vehicle (tracked or not) in L11 moving to J12 would pay 1 MP along the L12-K12 hexside (half the normal 2 MP for Bypassing in Open Ground), plus 2 MP for the VCA change and entry onto the K12-K13 hexside, regardless of CE/BU status."

Klas, when you think about it relation to the terrain, that makes perfect sense (s/b B31.131 not B13.141 ;) )

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Q&A:
A. Yes. Yes. [J1]
Ok so we just got a bit more weird. The CAFP remains at the front of the vehicle even though the vehicle has 'reversed'. So in the case of a vehicle starting in RR36/RR37 with a CAFP facing SS37, if it uses reverse VBM to enter QQ37/RR36 the CAFP would then be the vertex of Edit: QQ37/RR36/RR37.

OK,....well, I am glad we got that cleared up.;)

Last edited:

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ok so we just got a bit more weird. The CAFP remains at the front of the vehicle even though the vehicle has 'reversed'. So in the case of a vehicle starting in RR36/RR37 with a CAFP facing SS37, if it uses reverse VBM to enter QQ37/RR36 the CAFP would then be the vertex of QQ36/QQ37/RR36.

OK,....well, I am glad we got that cleared up.;)
If the vehicle is reversing on the QQ37-RR36 hexside then it's CAFP is based on the vertex QQ37-RR37-RR36, the front. Sorry if I've got this wrong just confused by the last post (not the music). Cheers.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
After Klas' last post and the Q&A above it does look like you could reverse into bypass but the CAFP remains the front of the of the vehicle and the vertex it is facing. LOS is also traced from the front vertex even if shooting to the rear. I edited my post above in green

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
After Klas' last post and the Q&A above it does look like you could reverse into bypass but the CAFP remains the front of the of the vehicle and the vertex it is facing. LOS is also traced from the front vertex even if shooting to the rear. I edited my post above in green
Cheers Purist for restoring my sanity. I think we got there in the end and dare say I'm 100% happy!!!! Though the very nature of ASL ensures this will be short lived.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I hear ya. To be honest I am not sure how often I would have come upon a situation like this over the years. Being away from the game for a decade, the last year has been spent relearning the multitude of tiny details and 'rare cases' that go along with the game. Hats off to the long term rules gurus who are there as guides. ?They make the path to 'enlightenment' much smoother.

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
I hear ya. To be honest I am not sure how often I would have come upon a situation like this over the years. Being away from the game for a decade, the last year has been spent relearning the multitude of tiny details and 'rare cases' that go along with the game. Hats off to the long term rules gurus who are there as guides. ?They make the path to 'enlightenment' much smoother.
As I say the nature of the beast. It is probably one, if not the most complicated rule game around so there are always going to be issues. Guess we've got to help each other out which is what we did. Brilliant.