Revealing a roadblock at night

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey All,

I am unsure how to apply this combination of rules. I have a road block in an illuminated location in the LOS of an enemy unit. The two sentences of A12.33 (below) seem to apply and the roadblock should be revealed. However the night rules for this, also listed below, seem to say it is not revealed. I know the folly of using reality arguments but it seems odd that a tank, driving along that illuminated road, would not see the roadblock until it ran into it. During play I revealed it but I now have a sneaking suspicion that we played it wrong. Should it have been revealed or stayed HIP?

Mike

12.33 FORTIFICATIONS: Fortifications in Concealment Terrain may always set up hidden and remain hidden until use of its protective TEM is claimed, or a unit therein loses its concealment, or a Good Order enemy ground unit gains a LOS to its Location and is within 16 hexes. [EXC to all: Minefields; B28.1.] Fortifications set up in non-Concealment Terrain are treated as if set up in Concealment Terrain [EXC: they also lose their HIP status due to enemy LOS regardless of range]. A roadblock also loses HIP status if it blocks the LOS of a Good Order enemy unit to any Location. The presence (but not the actual strength) of minefields can be discovered by a successful Search (12.152). A unit entering/exiting a hidden Fortification pays no MF/MP to do so, provided that Fortification remains hidden including Infantry/Cavalry (only) crossing a roadblock hexside. Hidden Fortifications revealed by LOS during setup are placed onboard just prior to placing non-OB "?".

1.16 FORTIFICATIONS: All Fortification counters are set up hidden at night regardless of terrain, and remain hidden until their protective TEM is used, a non-Dummy enemy unit (determined by the procedure given in A12.11 for minefields) enters the Location that contains it (or enters a pillbox's—but not a cave's—hex), or extra MF/MP are used to enter/exit it in the LOS of a Good Order enemy unit or its existence causes the failure of a non-Dummy unit's attempted entry into the Location (either because the unit does not have enough MF/MP or because entry is NA; the declared MF/MP are expended in the returned-to Location, treating vehicles as if attempted VBM (D2.3) had failed). During night scenarios there is no extra cost to enter/exit a pillbox/entrenchment unless it is done in the LOS of a Good Order enemy unit.