Return to ASL?

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Hello,

This is my first visit to this forum. I've investigated VASL and I'm very impressed with it and I'm wondering if I could use it to revisit my old SL/ASL days. I once owned the full SL set and also the ASL rulebook, BV and Paratrooper, but I had to sell them when in financial difficulty - I was royally ripped off too but needs must...

That was nearly 30 years ago and in the interim period I've scratched my ASL itch with SPWAW (meh) and the Combat Mission series (much better, but limited in scope). The computer aspect interests me because of the ability to save games in progress and not needing the dining room table to play on. From messing around with VASL I see that all the boards and counters are available straight away, and all that is lacking is the rules and scenarios. I set up a scenario last night and moved some of the counters around and added some markers and the old addiction came flooding back. It doesn't matter to me if the computer isn't doing the crunching - I'm more interested in the functionality and output (I take the same approach with Napoleonic gaming for which AH Napoleon's Battles is my system of choice).

Unfortunately prices of ASL and its modules on Ebay seem to be a bit eye-watering, but the 2nd edition rules from MMP seem reasonable enough and if I go ahead I'll definitely order those. What I'm wondering about is the availability of the chapters and scenarios from the various modules - can they be purchased separately? I don't care about the boards. Failing that, is there a better sources than Ebay for 2nd-hand ASL items that are more accessible priced? I don't care if it's been opened, punched, used and dog-eared as long as it's all there...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The ASL Starter Kits are cheap and an easy way to try the system and learn to play it.
Note that ASL is not SL : except for the maps, the common elements are few.
There also is a VASSAL module devoted to SL.
Finding opponents will be less easy, though.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Rules come with the different core modules. They are not sold separately.
And if you are using VASL, you are meant to have purchased the maps and counters too. At least from a moral point of view.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Thanks - what I should have said was that if playing old SL scenarios, I'd use ASL rules. I'm not interested in revisiting the SL rulebooks.

Reactions: Abe

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
"Rules come with the different core modules. They are not sold separately.
And if you are using VASL, you are meant to have purchased the maps and counters too. At least from a moral point of view."

OK that makes sense, thanks. Maybe the starter kits are the way to go then - and keep looking out for bargains...

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately prices of ASL and its modules on Ebay seem to be a bit eye-watering, but the 2nd edition rules from MMP seem reasonable enough and if I go ahead I'll definitely order those. What I'm wondering about is the availability of the chapters and scenarios from the various modules - can they be purchased separately? I don't care about the boards. Failing that, is there a better sources than Ebay for 2nd-hand ASL items that are more accessible priced? I don't care if it's been opened, punched, used and dog-eared as long as it's all there...
welcome back! There is perhaps a better source I suppose for 2nd hand ASL items than ebay and you've likely found it. Most ASL'rs have in spades a trait so lacking in today's world. Empathy. It is nice to see people return to the game and your pain can be felt and appreciated haha. Yeah, the prices for some of that stuff is brutal man.. just brutal. I suspect if there was something you really needed but just couldn't find or were willing to morgage yourself to get, just ask. You might be surprised by the generosity you might find. I think there are many in the same boat I find myself in. I have so much ASL sitting around that: 1} was played in the past and likely will never be played again or b) victims of changing tastes in what and how we play ASL.

I know I'm thinking hard about offloading a boatload of ASL, generic geo scenarios/boards etc which I haven't played in years and likely never will again or old official HASL which again were played and enjoyed in the past but are only taking up space today and again will likely never be played again.

However now that I"m thinking... there is a critcal element you are missing. Chapter H sections. A Rulebook, VASL, and a handful of scenarios will get you playing, but without Chapter H you are missing a important element. I've seen occasionally individual Chap H. sections put up on ebay and for reasonable prices. Keep an eye out for those.. you will want those.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks - what I should have said was that if playing old SL scenarios, I'd use ASL rules. I'm not interested in revisiting the SL rulebooks.

in case you weren't aware, most (all?) of those SL scenarios have been redone/revised for ASL. I think they are available in a couple of scenario packs. I'm not which particular ones they are, or even if they are still in print or available.

this if you haven't found it yet, is a great resource for getting the skinny on what is out there and what is in it.

http://www.desperationmorale.com/world-of-asl/introduction/

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Thanks for that, Sparky. If you do decide to unload anything please PM me to tell me where you're advertising it. :)

I got some free scenarios already from the DM site and I got most if not all of the ASL-ed SL scenarios from the MMP site. I'll take a look at the other stuff too.

I think Chapter H comes with the 2nd Edition rules, but for German and US only.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The other chapter H pages come with the core modules.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for that, Sparky. If you do decide to unload anything please PM me to tell me where you're advertising it. :)

I got some free scenarios already from the DM site and I got most if not all of the ASL-ed SL scenarios from the MMP site. I'll take a look at the other stuff too.

I think Chapter H comes with the 2nd Edition rules, but for German and US only.

I could be wrong but I don't recall any Chapter H coming with the rule book ie.. you get the German's/Russians in Beyond Valor, American's in Yanks. Good example of what i was saying earlier. Yanks2 had come out during a long break from the game and the only thing I had interest in was the updated Chapter H. Some cat on ebay was selling individual elements of it, so I snagged a copy of the updated Chapter H at a very reasonable price without all the rest which I zero interest or need of.

Actually, PM me instead. If there is something you really need, just PM me, if I have it and can part with it. I'll likely make you deal you can't refuse.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
and that is what old age, fields of dope and rivers of Jack Daniels does to one's brain haha. Thanks for the correction Klas, I simply don't remember them being in that.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was looking at that...I prefer the binder version but the pocket version would be very handy for reading on the train to work... :)
Soon you will be travelling all over Europe and the USA to tournaments.....so the pocket rulebook is so handy.....