Retention of DC's in VOTG or RB when thrown against an AFV target

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

playing VOTG and looking at a thrown DC at an AFV moving in an adjacent road hex as a Defensive fire attack - the placement DR is a 10 with a +2 for motion vehicle, +2 for thrown DC, -1 for thrown through rear target facing and -1 for TK case B aerial modifier giving a total +2. A position DR of 10 + 2 was rolled giving a final placement DR of 12 meaning no effect to the AVF and a 30+3 IFT attack against the throwing infantry.

In the refit phase of this scenario V12.6154 DC's are retained if the original effects DR is <= 10.

The question is what is the effects DR of a thrown DC in this instance, is it the Position DR or should an effects DR be rolled regardless of the position DR to determine if it is retained or not?

If the position DR was < 8 then there would be a separate effects DR against the AFV which could be used for retention purposes, If the position DR is 9-11 then there may or may not be an effects DR against PRC (in this example there was none) and if the position DR is >=12 then no effect and thus no effects DR.

We played that a separate effects DR had to be rolled if the position DR indicated no effect for retention purposes but not sure if this is correct

Simon

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always thought once you used a dc it was gone. I await the answer.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In RB, VotG and some other CGs it is possible to get back DCs and FT that you lost during the previous CG date.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
We played that a separate effects DR had to be rolled if the position DR indicated no effect for retention purposes but not sure if this is correct
I like this reasoning.

Position DR of 9-11 would, in your case, be moot. But since there is a "game result" per V12.6154 makes sense to roll on the IFT to see if the the SAN is triggered and/or if the DC is retained. Just my opinion, of course.

It's a fairly edge case though, as you've found.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I believe that most of the time when a DC is Thrown there will be an Effects DR vs the Thrower's Location - regardless of the Positon DR.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A23.6 -
A separate DR is used to resolve the attack of a Thrown DC on each Location. A DC Thrown from
an AFV does not affect it, but does attack any Vulnerable PRC of that AFV
and C77.346 note @ for greater than or equal to 12 on the DC position DR -
@ Resolve only vs other unarmored units in AFV’s Location, and as
an Area Fire attack (as well as vs any in Thrower’s Location; A23.6).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Dude was asking about 9-11...
Even if the DC has nothing to affect in the Target Location, I believe it still attacks the Thrower's Location normally....

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My buddy and I are having the same discussion.

So I lose a FT to a KIA shot. If that KIA shot was caused by an IFT roll of less than/equal to 10, then I get the DC/FT back?

I place a DC and I roll a 12, so it malfunctions, I guess I do not get this DC back?

I'm not seeing the relation between "removed for any reason" and "effects DR less than/equal to 10"

Last edited: