Results: The 2010 Fall Invitational Chess Tourney!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Sign up for the 2010 Fall Invitational Chess Tourney!

The tourney is launched! Have fun all!

PS: Two new players this year: AtticusPlatypus & MrMystoris52. This should help liven things up!

Lurker

Reaction score

We have a good mix of players this time. I'm also stretched to the limit with all of the other games I have going, so it's a good thing there's a 14 day time control!

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

1. I'd just finished a heap of games, and still have 2 others going when the tourny started. I'm maxed out trying to keep my thoughts in each of hte games. I've even started making notes on the notes page - i'm trusting for the first time that they are not able to be seen by my opponants! :)

2. Even with 14 day limists, most people seem to be making moves every day or so.

3. I'm liking the tourny so far. Some new names, plus a couple i havent seen since last tournament.

4. I hate the queens pawn openings because i havent played against it much. i think every person has either opened with a queen pawn game or gone with something totally off center, like moving knights first. I hate these odd openings!

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Yeah, it is an interesting tourney. I tried to seed some fresh blood to make it interesting.

I don't know how people can manage with anything less than 14 days TC - at least for a double RR. There are sooo many games to handle at kick-off. That is why I turn off my invites right before the tourney begins. :) No more games for at least three months! :D

Glad everyone is having fun.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Just wanted to say:

Merry Christmas!!!!!

May all your pawns jingle. :D

Anybody get any chess gifts?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

None here either...except the gift of finally get back to my games! I've been so busy the last week, I actually had to put myself on vacation mode because I just didn't have a chance to make any moves. Sheesh!

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

I'm starting to get back on top of my games (i mean i'm making some moves, i dont mean "i'm on top of my game!").

Pity Mystic pulled out. I hope they didnt pull the plug too early.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I was disappointed by MrMystoris pulling out. I contacted him to see what happened, but he never got back to me. I suspect he signed up for a tourney without realizing the number of games he was volunteering for, or expected a blitz tourney where everyone would be done in a week. Oh well.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

Everyone still going OK?

Lurker

Reaction score

Moving along slowly for me. But that's good - I have too many going as usual!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Same here. Slow but moving. :) But that's okay. Chess can only be truly appreciated in its own good time. :D

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Just checked the stats: looks like the tourney is 50% complete. No thanks to me, I still only have two completed games. :( All my games have been hard fought affairs.

Just an update:

When this tourney raps up, I will be kicking off a 960 Tourney next. So, if you are not familiar with this variation, you might want to start fooling around with it. :)

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

when the tournament started i was happy for the 14 day turns. But now, even when i'm the one taking days between moves, its sometimes hard to pick up my ideas for each game. I'm almost wishing the games were moving faster or being played one after the other.

I'd still vote the 14 day limit because that works best - i'm just saying sometimes you get to a game and wonder "is this mine? howd i get into this!"

Lurker

Reaction score

I agree that it is most beneficial to have one's head into the game and to be fully aware of all the nuances. That's the difference between playing in an intense tournament game and just walking over to someone's board and looking over their shoulder. I was in one tournament on chess.com that had a 14 day limit, which was good as it allowed for extra time if life got in the way. However, there was (is - this tournament is still going :)) one player that took the full 14 days with every move. Because of this all of the games finished but his, which are still dragging on! I drew my games just to get out of it early.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

I'm down to my last 4 games, and i think i'm a real chance in each of them (subtle dig, bit of sarcasm). Its a log jam for 3rd place.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I'm fighting Lurker for every inch of ground. It's a losing battle, but I won't go quietly into that good night! :D

...and I'm just waiting for you to resign, KC. :p

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

12 months later ... tourney is almost done.

What happened to the 2011 Fall international chess tourney???