Resolving an Illegal Move Discovered Turns Later

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The American OOB includes a M3A1 (note 39) or any other vehicle covered by note D. (its crew may Remove its MG armament (D6.631). ).

The vehicle moves onboard concealed and stops out of LOS. The owner unloads the passenger who takes the MG armament with him, all under a concealment counter. Several turns later, the removed MG appears with a personnel counter, not the crew. The owner thought that the passenger could and did remove the MG. The note does not allow that nor does D6.631.

Do you A.2 and move on or remove the MG from the game? In a friendly game, do you just put it back on the vehicle?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
A.2 implies that the error can be dealt with at the instant of discovery. But it also says that once play passes the point of commission, it cannot be recovered. This latter statement cannot hold because then people could deliberately make errors in HIP and cite A.2, stating it is too late to fix the error!

So, I reason if you allow the now-revealed illegal SW to be on the board and allow play to proceed, it cannot be rectified and it stays in the game, friendly game or not, fired MG or not. But if you deal with it at that moment, the SW is removed from the game in tournament play and is not recovered on the vehicle.

Whatever you decide to do in a friendly game is up to you, of course.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If it's just a friendly game, you call your opponent a scurrilous cheat and threaten to expose him to the ASL community. Who was your opponent, by the way?

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think the move was legal.
The passengers of that vehicle can unload the mg, as the note 39 alow that.
Indeed..

† Each M3A1 Scout Car starts the scenario with an Inherent crew, and also with either a 3-4-6 (or as otherwise specified by SSR) HS or a 2-2-7 crew (owner’s choice of HS or crew) as a Passenger that applies to the vehicle’s PP capacity (D6.1). This vehicle can retain any unpossessed SW aboard it (D6.4), its crew/Passenger may Remove its MG armament (D6.631), and Mounted Fire penalties (D6.1) do not apply to its Passenger(s).

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed..

† Each M3A1 Scout Car starts the scenario with an Inherent crew, and also with either a 3-4-6 (or as otherwise specified by SSR) HS or a 2-2-7 crew (owner’s choice of HS or crew) as a Passenger that applies to the vehicle’s PP capacity (D6.1). This vehicle can retain any unpossessed SW aboard it (D6.4), its crew/Passenger may Remove its MG armament (D6.631), and Mounted Fire penalties (D6.1) do not apply to its Passenger(s).
My e-version says crew. I will have to check that. Was there an errata for note 39 or was I sloppy?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
My e-version says crew. I will have to check that. Was there an errata for note 39 or was I sloppy?
My quote above is from the version in Yanks 2 - which was updated.

To the first edition there was errata in ASL Journal 8.:
U.S. Vehicle Note 39: First †, last line, replace “crew” with “crew/Passenger”.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My quote above is from the version in Yanks 2 - which was updated.

To the first edition there was errata in ASL Journal 8.:
U.S. Vehicle Note 39: First †, last line, replace “crew” with “crew/Passenger”.
Looks like I missed some errata. Vehicle note D ... did not change.