Residual FP vs partially armored vehicle

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It looks like it has to be from a specific direction to affect the vehicle (as per a firelane possibly)?

'Normal' residual FP does not affect the crew or the partially armored vehicle?

Partially Armored Vehicle (This unit is treated as an armored target unless specifically attacked through a non-armored Target Facing inclusive of Elevation Advantage that reduces its CE DRM to +1): D1.22, D5.311, [AF NA to TK#: C7.11] [Indirect Fire: C1.55, C7.345] [Spraying Fire: A9.51] [Unprotected Crews: D5.311]

D1.22 PARTIALLY ARMORED: An AFV that has armour protection along only its front and side Target Facings is recognizable by the presence of a ★ symbol along the right-hand margin beneath its Side/Rear AF. If a "T" appears beside the ★, only the turret/upper-superstructure Aspect (C3.9) of the rear Target Facing is unarmored (EX: German Marder III(t)H).

D5.311 UNPROTECTED CREWS: The Inherent crew (as well as each Passenger) of a vehicle receiving fire (including Fire Lane Residual FP) [EXC: Sniper attack] through an unarmored Target Facing/Aspect (C3.9; including any OT AFV receiving either Air Bursts or fire from a higher elevation whose elevation advantage is > the range [5.31]—and, vs mines, the PRC of any AFV with a hull AF of 0 [B28.43]) is Vulnerable even if BU, and receives no (or a reduced; 5.31) CE DRM. Consequently the crew is not susceptible to Stun/Recall from such an attack; it is instead subject to PTC/MC/K/KIA results. If it breaks it must rout from the vehicle using normal Infantry rout procedures [EXC: it expends all its initial-RtPh MF to be placed beneath the vehicle]. The vehicle automatically Stops (no Stop MP is spent) when its crew breaks. If the crew routs or is eliminated, the vehicle is marked with an Abandoned counter. If an OT AFV's crew would receive a CE DRM reduced by Elevation-Effects/Air-Bursts to < its normal CE DRM, that AFV is instead treated as unarmored and the attack vs it—but not vs its PRC—is resolved (with no Air Burst TEM) either as per A7.308 (for non-ordnance/Indirect-Fire-HE) or on the proper TK Table using the pertinent Unarmored Vehicle TK#. C3.71 also applies if a HE CH occurred.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
NRBH, but regular residual FP would attack a partially-armored vehicle. Residual FP may come from any direction (unlike FL residual FP).

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
NRBH, but regular residual FP would attack a partially-armored vehicle. Residual FP may come from any direction (unlike FL residual FP).
I think I agree with this, though there are a lot of situations where it might appear rediculous. Still, RFP can affect units that are out of LOS to the original firer (like those bypassing the opposite side of a building), so it wouldn’t be unprecedented if the crew of your Open Backside tank got hit while facing the original firer.

But a good question that should go to Perry. Otherwise, solve with a house rule.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think I agree with this, though there are a lot of situations where it might appear rediculous. Still, RFP can affect units that are out of LOS to the original firer (like those bypassing the opposite side of a building), so it wouldn’t be unprecedented if the crew of your Open Backside tank got hit while facing the original firer.

But a good question that should go to Perry. Otherwise, solve with a house rule.
I have destroyed a partly armoured AFV with RFP without ever having LOS to it, in Bidermann's Escape. A delightful ASL moment.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
NRBH but I think you attack the side of partial armoured vehicles with residual fp... I think I've read that, but who knows...

Edit: D.5.31

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
'Normal' residual FP does not affect the crew or the partially armored vehicle?
Vs normal Residual FP I think a partially-armored vehicle is treated as armored - since the attack is not per the Index - "specifically attacked through a non-armored Target Facing".

The crew migth still be vulnerable though - per D5.31:
"Non-Fire Lane Residual FP attacks receive the CE DRM that applies to the Side Target Facing."

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Do Overruns consider partially armored vehicles as armored? or depending on the hexside entered?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Do Overruns consider partially armored vehicles as armored? or depending on the hexside entered?
As armored I think - since an OVR is not "specifically attacked through a non-armored Target Facing" either. Could be worth a Q&A I guess.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
It looks aspect and hexside crossed when entering the hex are important to see wall/hedge TEM for defenders and to check to kill number for stay in an enemy occupied location (D2.6)..
so I suppose a similar ruling for Overruns vs partially armored AFVs..