Residual fp and Armoured Assault

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
A squad and a AFV are moving together using Armoured Assault. They are fired upon and the squad breaks, and a residual fp counter is placed in the hex.

If the AFV keeps moving, do the broken squad get attacked by the residual fp? I think its not, but not sure as it now is without the AFV DRM…

TIA

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You are right.
Actually, Infantry is only attacked after its MF expenses - not the AFV's (e.g. a Start MP doesn't allow DFF vs the accompanying Infantry).

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you're right too. The stack would split up as in A4.2 because the broken unit can't move further, and only the AFV could be attacked or subject to residual.

FlatPackFred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think you're right too. The stack would split up as in A4.2 because the broken unit can't move further, and only the AFV could be attacked or subject to residual.
But is there an argument that when the infantry are initially fired on they have a +1 TEM. When the vehicle moves off they have 0 TEM. So why wouldn't the residual attack?

FlatPackFred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Residual FP only attacks units spending MF/MP....
Thank you. Just to check that I understand it correctly:

an infantry unit moves one hex using armoured assault and is fired on (but not broken or pinned) leaving residual FP. lf the accompanying vehicle then moves off on its own and the infantry subsequently (in the same movement phase) tries to recover a SW in the hex the resid would attack - but if the infantry tried the recovery brefore the vehicle moved off the resid wouldn't attack

Have I got it right?

P.s. I recently punched my Swedish Volunteers counters and was genuinely disappointed (honestly I was) that there wasn't a leader named Malmstrom. Everyone would want that leader on their side. Resourceful, organised, calm under fire and knows the best way to take out a tank with the meagre forces at hand.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Incorrect. If the infantry attempted to recover a SW after the 'zid had been placed (regardless of the fact if the vehicle had remained in the Location or not), he would be attacked by that RFP because he had not previously been attacked by it. Also attempting to pick up a SW is a separate MF expenditure from the moving MF expenditure, so may not be accomplished as a combined action.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If the unit has not been attacked by the RESIDUAL FP in the Location, it will be attacked once it expends an MF. Doesn’t matter if they are still using armored assault or not.