Residual Fire and Non MGs.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seems like another elementary question is due. Of course, machine guns lose the ability to place residual fire, when they lose rate of fire, voluntarily or not, but does this rule also apply to mortars and other guns? I think that this is not the case, but Don is unable to find the answer in my rules. Tim

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
MG can place Residual FP (not a Fire Lane RFP) after having lost ROF - when they use SFF/FPF.

MTR cannot. Intesive Fire (only available to 5/8" MTR after having lost ROF) does not leave Residual FP.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you. More complex than I thought. What about a regular Gun. For example, a 76*. Does it lose the ability to leave residual fire if it retains rate of fire and continues to fire at another hex? Tim

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Tim
Not sure what your question is getting at
But A8.25 says that a Ordnance weapon (ie a Mortar or any other gun) gets a hit it leaves residual
(note a certain list of things dont get it..... AP, and the like.... and of course OBA and Mines)
But guns do get Resi

Hope this answers your question

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Weapons (including guns) do not leave residual if they choose to retain ROF [A8.23].

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, I did not know that the defensive first fire/subsequent first fire/ sequence also applied to MGs. In the case of the latter two sequences, do MGs fire as area fire, or are they at full strength, but with a greatly increased chance of break down? Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Okay, I did not know that the defensive first fire/subsequent first fire/ sequence also applied to MGs. In the case of the latter two sequences, do MGs fire as area fire, or are they at full strength, but with a greatly increased chance of break down? Tim
SFF & FPF can or sometimes must be used by MGs (and IFE) using sustained fire [A8.3, A8.31, A9.3]. Sustained Fire is at half FP.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay. I knew that FPF is mandatory when enemy unit enters hex, so SF for MGs is sustained fire. But that is only necessary if MG has lost rate of fire, if not the MG fires at full strength, and is not limited by the constraints of subsequent fire, ie., firing at nearest enemy unit. Correct.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Okay. I knew that FPF is mandatory when enemy unit enters hex, so SF for MGs is sustained fire. But that is only necessary if MG has lost rate of fire, if not the MG fires at full strength, and is not limited by the constraints of subsequent fire, ie., firing at nearest enemy unit. Correct.
If the MG fires in a firegroup with the inherent FP of a manning squad, and the squad has already used its inherent FP, that MG is fired as Sustained Fire even if it had not yet lost ROF. If the MG fires alone, it fires as DFF at full FP.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, and that is why a player always fires a SW first. I do remember some of your lessons?!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If you have tin cans to try and open and all you have is that MG to try and stop a freeze sleaze.
I'm not sure if you are saying that you *would not* use the SW first or that you *would*. If you would, that is my recommended default.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
To give one example of when you might fire the inherent first, if you have a very-short-ranged squad possessing a longer-range SW (e.g. a 5-2-7 holding a Soviet LMG), your opponent may move a close unit in hopes you will fire the SW or everything at it, so allowing more distant units to move.

JR

Last edited: