Reserves in CGs

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi

Is a concelaled enemy stack within 3 hexes and in LOS sufficient to activate a reserve in a CG (red barricades/FB)

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes. Per FB17.6194 CPP COST: b) Reserve: there is no requirement for the enemy unit to be "Known."

"Each Cloaked Reserve unit/stack must remain Cloaked–and may conduct no action whatsoever–until an enemy ground unit is within three hexes of it and is in its LOS, or enemy Air Support (E7.; SSR FB22) is within one hex of it and in its LOS, or until subjected to an enemy attack that results in the loss of the Cloaked unit’s/stack’s Concealment, at which time the Controlling side may (or must, if thusly attacked) put that Cloaking counter’s contents (if any) unconcealed on-map."

"Unit: any game piece or counter with its own MF/MP allotment and normally capable of movement without being portaged, pushed, or towed. Infantry, Cavalry [but not horses], Dummy stacks, and vehicles (even if Immobilized) are all different types of units"

Bill

Hi

Is a concelaled enemy stack within 3 hexes and in LOS sufficient to activate a reserve in a CG (red barricades/FB)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
"Each Cloaked Reserve unit/stack must remain Cloaked–and may conduct no action whatsoever–until an enemy ground unit is within three hexes of it and is in its LOS, or enemy Air Support (E7.; SSR FB22) is within one hex of it and in its LOS, or until subjected to an enemy attack that results in the loss of the Cloaked unit’s/stack’s Concealment, at which time the Controlling side may (or must, if thusly attacked) put that Cloaking counter’s contents (if any) unconcealed on-map."
The thing about air support is very annoying, as Gary Mei uses reserve units to "defend" other, non-reserve units from air attack by setting reserves up adjacent. Yes, you can attack that non-reserve unit, but if you do, you activate all these reserve units "MWAH-HAH-HAH-HAH!"

JR

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
that rat bastard! oh wait...i do the same thing...excellent play by Gary!:)

The thing about air support is very annoying, as Gary Mei uses reserve units to "defend" other, non-reserve units from air attack by setting reserves up adjacent. Yes, you can attack that non-reserve unit, but if you do, you activate all these reserve units "MWAH-HAH-HAH-HAH!"

JR

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Hi

Yes for concealed enemy ground units within 3 hexes and a LOS to the reserve.

In Red Barricades STUKA planes will not automatically activate Reserve units regardless of range to any reserve unit, since it is clearly not a ground unit.

O11.6194(b):
Each Cloaked Reserve unit/stack must remain Cloaked - and may conduct no action whatsoever - until an enemy ground unit is within three hexes of it and is in its LOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Here is a Perry sez that makes no sense, and contradict the rules.

Perry Sez

O11.6194(b) Does a Stuka cause activation of a Reserve unit by being within 3 hexes of it?

A. No, it must be within 1 hex (E.5).

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes for concealed enemy ground units within 3 hexes and a LOS to the reserve.

In Red Barricades STUKA planes will not automatically activate Reserve units regardless of range to any reserve unit, since it is clearly not a ground unit.

O11.6194(b):
Each Cloaked Reserve unit/stack must remain Cloaked - and may conduct no action whatsoever - until an enemy ground unit is within three hexes of it and is in its LOS.
My copy of RB rules does not mention "Ground" it just says "enemy unit" which would make the Perry Sez correct taking into account aerial range.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
My copy of RB rules does not mention "Ground" it just says "enemy unit" which would make the Perry Sez correct taking into account aerial range.
I think that "ground" was added in the 2nd Edition of the Red Barricade rules. The Q&A (again I think) is from the 1st Edition era.

I notice that "ground" is not present in the VotG rules, but then those are based on the 1st Edition of the Red Barricades rules.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think that "ground" was added in the 2nd Edition of the Red Barricade rules. The Q&A (again I think) is from the 1st Edition era.

I notice that "ground" is not present in the VotG rules, but then those are based on the 1st Edition of the Red Barricades rules.
Does that mean that in RB Sukas do not cause activation but in FB and VoTG they do? Seems a little strange.

Last edited:

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland

Designers of new CGs seems to base their rules upon the obsolete 1st edition Red Barricades rules, silly old activate-reserve-rule will place and move a FighterBomber/DiveBomber through 5 hexes that will cover a total of 19 hexes and any enemy reserves in those 19 hexes will be released.

We played/ or did not play, with that old rule in the early beginning but stopped with it rather early on in mid-game, when discovering the silly effects or perhaps we never played with it since we thought activation of reserves could not be made by planes "flying over".

It is considered Gamey, especially when an mistaken attack is made since the opponent will choose which attack-of-approach-in-five-hexes the stupid plane will fly over.

If a designer think that this gamey aspect is great fun, good and all power to his gaming sessions (excellent play). Thankfully the rule in Red Barricades improved on this aspect and banned it while other new CG keept that old rule that was in error from the very start.

Last edited by a moderator: