Reserve Dummies

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you use CG purchased ? as Reserve dummies if you didn't purchase any infantry in reserve?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
No. Reserves are a different color "?". Fortification-purchased "?" are in the side's color. There isn't a rule that says that but it seems pretty likely that a Q&A would rule that way. Likewise you can't purchase "?" in enemy livery.

JR

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From VOTG Fort Purchase Notes:

May be used as Dummy Reserve Cloaking counters (12.6194b). See also SSR CG15, 12.4.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't understand your answer. Either grammatically or from an answer standpoint. The rules allow me to use purchased ? as Reserve dummies. I guess my question is must I buy Reserves to do so?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I probably posted in the wrong place. I just posted it in the VOTG Q&A and tagged Tom.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Can you use CG purchased ? as Reserve dummies if you didn't purchase any infantry in reserve?
Only if the purchased "?" counters are sazzy looking ATS counters. Not with crappy 70-ties looking ASL counters. :)

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Klas finally got his humor module upgraded to beta version 1.1. :D

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
So you want to buy a bunch of dummy counters to simulate a fake reserve purchase. I say give it a try. Although I question that 'Fort purchase notes' qualify as adequate evidence for rules support.

Let us know how this brilliance works out :) I'm sure regular dummies are going to be far less effective for truly devious plans as the enemy focus all of their attention on cloaking counters behind the front lines. Should work well with an enemy with cloaked intelligence...

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was just a question. I ask questions when I run across something in the rules that makes me think.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
I like it when someone finds a hole in the rules. This looks like one of them. Interestingly, the rule is the same for RB. Nothing seems to prohibit purchase of Cloak ? as being tied in with the purchase of reserves; otherwise, the table should explicitly state that cloaked dummies need to be purchased with reserves only -- and it doesn't. If some Q/A answer comes back justifying this is not allowed, after all these years, well, that would be typical but also a shame.

This is a case where no rule should be added that isn't written. Any case relevant to cloak dummies in the night rules is only relevant to the extent of E1.4; that is, cloak ? must be of a nationality color not in play. This has been true in RB and should remain the same.

I imagine that this ploy would work as a kill zone trap if you could get the enemy to think that the front lines are weaker than they really are by having a mass of dummy reserve units represent a substantial investment in CPP, combined with a lot of HIP of real units. Maybe fun, risky, and tough to pull off.