request for assistance in layout software

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ok looking for options for layout software for piecing together scenario cards...:( There are some ground rules here for suggestions:

1. Jon is on a strict dollar diet.:upset: So Public Domain solutions would be preferable. Failing that , something acqiurable from Amazon . com or elsewhere in the sub -$15.00 USD range for a new copy ( no one's scratched used CD roms here :crosseye:....)

2. My opSys is Win XP / SP3, 768 MB RAM, 256Video RAM on the card. 140GB HDD. Software needs to be compatible to this, dollar diet means no new CPU for another year.

3. Currently I am running / using Adobe Acrobat 9.4; MS Office 2003; MS Publisher 2007. MS Pub 07 is the tool I've worked with currently, but it is incompatible for final layouts to get everything on a single card well. ( graphic blocking is too large overall).

I need something that will allow me to block in the jpegs as they are created, add text to the block in so I can add in the ASL name of each AFV / Gun, and add in various sized text boxes blocked in for the Scen Info, Aftermath, SSRs, Turn Record Chart, Map Orientations, OoB info ( ELR/ SAN/ number of units, etc). And still allow me to block in another jpeg for the scen pic and the SS-ND pak collar tab flash that is the mark of the pack's scenarios.

Thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated. The idea is a final concept of either 8 1/2 x 11 or Euro standard A4 is ok by me.

KRL ,Jon H

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Jon, I just use powerpoint (previously used Open Office) but I've never put together a "final product" with it, just PT scenarios that Chas does his magic with afterwards, adding in the unit graphics etc and tarting it up. Works very well for the basic layout, you're welcome to my template(s) if it'll help you along...

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jon, I just use powerpoint (previously used Open Office) but I've never put together a "final product" with it, just PT scenarios that Chas does his magic with afterwards, adding in the unit graphics etc and tarting it up. Works very well for the basic layout, you're welcome to my template(s) if it'll help you along...
would love your template(s) if you desire to email em to me at witchbottles at gmail dot com.

Thanks for the reply!

KRL ,Jon H

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
If you want to outsource, my wife works in the publishing business and could probably do a layout in "real" software faster than either of us can blink. :) Unless voluminous or more complex than I would expect for a scenario pack, she could probably do it for free.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you want to outsource, my wife works in the publishing business and could probably do a layout in "real" software faster than either of us can blink. :) Unless voluminous or more complex than I would expect for a scenario pack, she could probably do it for free.
Thanks Zoltan!

Sent you an email on this.... and I will get you in touch with my other volunteer on this project as well

KRL, Jon H

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Scribus (http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus) is a good desktop publishing program, if you need to go beyond the Office level of layout. It is open source and free. It requires a modest amount of effort to learn, i.e. it is not exactly like a word processor, but it isn't that hard to pick up either. I have been using it to create sticky errata.

JR

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scribus (http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus) is a good desktop publishing program, if you need to go beyond the Office level of layout. It is open source and free. It requires a modest amount of effort to learn, i.e. it is not exactly like a word processor, but it isn't that hard to pick up either. I have been using it to create sticky errata.

JR
Thank you!
we will add it to our repetoire of choices!

KRL ,Jon H

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its like Jon had Christmas early this year.

Thanks to all that have helped him.

That is why I like the ASL Gamesquad Forums. Most ASL players will help out without any questions.

Thanks again.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Its like Jon had Christmas early this year.

Thanks to all that have helped him.

That is why I like the ASL Gamesquad Forums. Most ASL players will help out without any questions.

Thanks again.
This layout stuff is easier than I expected with InDesign. Maybe MMP should throw my wife a few dollars or some other swag so we can get all through the backlog of modules. :)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This layout stuff is easier than I expected with InDesign. Maybe MMP should throw my wife a few dollars or some other swag so we can get all through the backlog of modules. :)
Shameless.... ;-)
I do believe she doesn't even play..... LOL

Thanks to Zoltan, we have some very nice quality scen cards in the works :)

KRL, Jon H