Req: VASSAL sub-forum in the boardwargames section

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Don/SZO staff,

A little request, as the topic title suggests, adding a sub-forum for discussing the VASSAL program and modules for it in the boardgames forum much like the VASL sub-forum in the ASL section.

VASSAL has no true forum anywhere on the internet that I'm aware of, aside from Matrix, but that deals more with Matrix's forth coming support options for VASSAL and not so much for VASSAL and modules itself. SZO would be the perfect place for such a forum!

As a fairly active developer for VASSAL modules, I think that a forum here would be a great place to discuss the various modules, module making, AAR's, tips, release notes and support for the great RK program.

Thanks for your consideration!

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
When VASSAL was in its early stages I attempted to talk the people involved with it into making this the primary forum, however, they didn't want to do it. Considering the advantages this forum has over a free Yahoo forum I was a little puzzles by that decision, but whatever.

I am open to the idea of stating a forum here, but I suspect it may not get much use. I will probably not be inclined to do it unless there is sufficient demand for it.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Don. I mentioned the idea of RK adding a forum to his own site on the Yahoo! group list, to which he never personally replied but several members responded that it was an excellent idea - there's many sub-topics that can be brought up on a forum here.

I'll bring up the topic again on the Yahoo! list and point folks to the thread here - if there's interest, perhaps they'll voice it. :)

travillaintim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep - I wouldnt mind seeing a forum also.

Some mod users dont realize the yahoo group exists, and it generally seems to be used more often than not as communications of mod developers or program troubleshooting help requests for new users.

A place where mod users can communicate their wishes, comments, aar's, looking for games etc. would be neat. Of course, although everyone is welcome at the yahoo group to do just that, regular mod users might find all the developer talk/ help requests a little bit more than what they are looking for or thought it would be and may therefore rarely contribute.

ArmedMedic

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm an avid boardgamer who uses VASSAL and would love to have a forum where I could talk to other VASSAL members. Hopefully you will get a large response.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, maybe that's one of the reasons why VASSAL continues to play 2nd fiddle to Cyberboard.

It would be neat to have a "VASSAL Design Olympics", a forum, several sites containing modules, etc. Thought I'd try to help push it in that direction, but what else can you do.

Swing

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Vassal thread

Hi, guys.

Guess what's my first message at the SZO Forums about, after lurking for two or three months? VASSAL.

I would like to express my support for Gary's idea. It seems to me too that the yahoo group isn't the best way to give a voice to the myriad of topics that could be generated around VASSAL, while the SZO Forums are great.

I really hope that more people answers the call, anyway :)

From an aspiring VASSAL mod designer,

Swing.
Currently working on the upcoming AH Football Strategy module for VASSAL.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Add me as a sixth member who'd like to see a VASSAL sub-forum. Don, note two of the above posters have never posted before; this idea is enough to get two lurkers to un-lurk! And don't worry, ASL will not be the main topic.

Ogreking

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Support :)

I registered for this forum simply to show my support for a Vassal forum. There just isn't a convenient one and I'd be very glad to see one form here.

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How about a program with boxes and buttons?

Don Maddox said:
When VASSAL was in its early stages I attempted to talk the people involved with it into making this the primary forum, however, they didn't want to do it. Considering the advantages this forum has over a free Yahoo forum I was a little puzzles by that decision, but whatever.

I am open to the idea of stating a forum here, but I suspect it may not get much use. I will probably not be inclined to do it unless there is sufficient demand for it.
Hello. Alright I'll pipe in then two. A definite advantage in having Vassal flayed about much on an SZO forum would be the increasing possibilities of an editor coming about as the number of people, knowledgeable on Vassal increase. Such individuals exist, but don't have any interest beyond playing wargames.
Vice versa some wargamers only want to play and not edit.

I mean like a small editor program that would list off all the various sections and boxes, like MS Productivity software which doesn't require you to know C,DLL's,MFC's or html! even. For example, Frontpage or Word. In this way, the critical components could be completed even by the newbie. Hit a box/button and the proper code is displayed or saved to text or other as required. This would also ease the chore of editing modifiers and numerical values to say a newly minted ASL mapboard. etc ,,,

Danstudentvcc
Gus

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Okay, I did my part. Now you guys do your part and put the word out about this forum.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent, thanks Don! I'll start spreading the word right now!

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Super! and thanks ...

Don Maddox said:
Okay, I did my part. Now you guys do your part and put the word out about this forum.
Hello.
Thanks for the section.

Gus
Dvcc

KLG

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Better late than never

Hey Gary,

Great idea of trying to get a forum started for VASSAL here at SZO. It got me to register and post :)

The Yahoo forum always felt like a tech support\feature request forum only, so I'd only post when I had a question. Here's hoping things take off here.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KLG said:
Hey Gary,

Great idea of trying to get a forum started for VASSAL here at SZO. It got me to register and post :)

The Yahoo forum always felt like a tech support\feature request forum only, so I'd only post when I had a question. Here's hoping things take off here.
Cool! Glad to see you joined up here and found the forum! I think Don Maddox and the staff here at SZO have really excelled at making a home for war/strategy gamers. Hats off to them for setting up the forum for VASSAL here. And yes, I agree, the Yahoo! group was/is about 95% technical questions around module building. I hope that we cover a wide range of things related to VASSAL here, and it looks like it's off to a good start already!