Reputation system to be discontinued

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Reputation was a feature of the old forum software which was not carried forward to the new system. Instead, members now have the ability to give and receive 'likes' for individual posts.

Accumulating likes counts toward trophy points.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The negative rep system was good in concept, but really awful in practice. After the system had to be redone because of abuse, I promised myself I would never give a negative rep again, and managed it, but it didn't stop others from doing it. It just contributed to huge distractions, because some members would then go into a forum - about games - and call out whomever negative repped them, and just derailed the conversation which stopped being about games and instead a slinging match about personalities. Even the positive rep was distracting, with repeated "rep gun empty" "please rep for me" etc. etc. posts that served no real purpose. Glad to see this gone.

Thanks, Don, for continuing to evolve this resource for us. Was sorry to see the image database go - is this the intended final state - i.e. will we now have to have a URL to be able to share an image on the forum?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I largely agree about the rep system. I've been using this new software as a regular member on another forum for about a year, and I really like it. It just works.