Reprint of A Bridge Too Far

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I understand the reason why it is difficult to reprint some items is because the original material has been damaged or lost (having been Avalon Hill material, e.g. Code of Bushido).

A Bridge too Far was an MMP product, and was run not that long ago, correct? What are the chances of a relatively quick reprint of this?

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I understand the reason why it is difficult to reprint some items is because the original material has been damaged or lost (having been Avalon Hill material, e.g. Code of Bushido).

A Bridge too Far was an MMP product, and was run not that long ago, correct? What are the chances of a relatively quick reprint of this?
I'd say "slim to none"...MMP has been slashing prices and getting rid of all of their stock of HASL's...they did it for ABTF, BRT, PB, OV, etc.

Funny how it all works...MMP says that they had a bunch of old HASLs sitting and gathering dust, leading them to the logical conclusion that HASLs are not in demand...they have clearance sales to get rid of remaining inventory...once the inventory is gone, suddenly everyone wants a copy, and E-Bay prices jump to $100 or more.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes, don't expect anything that isn't a core module to be reprinted. Everything else is generally a one-off print and once it's gone, it's gone. Possible exception to this I think would be if the talked-about Red Barricades reprint to go with the Red October HASL goes ahead.

DaveStory

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If MMP is seeing a lack of demand for HASLs, I would have to agree. Besides Red Barricades, I haven't been engrossed in any HASL in particular.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If MMP is seeing a lack of demand for HASLs, I would have to agree. Besides Red Barricades, I haven't been engrossed in any HASL in particular.
The fact that KGP I and II, BRT, and ABTF required multiple, multiple sales to exhaust our supplies indicates that the shelf life of all four was over.

I *doubt* any will be reprinted.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The fact that KGP I and II, BRT, and ABTF required multiple, multiple sales to exhaust our supplies indicates that the shelf life of all four was over.

How about an SS Pack with re-print of the infamous black counters, scenarios, and boards, that would sell heaps.

Last edited:

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

But you have a secret one stashed away for me, right? :)

Seriously though, thanks for the answers guys.

Warman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will give you the point that having product sit on the shelf is not making you any money to invest in other projects.
So with the seemingly large amount of newbies to the game in the last, lets say 2 years, there are players out there that may want these HASL's. With VASL now having the maps for them and I believe most of the counters also, why not make a PDF file avaliable with the SSR's, the rules for just that HASL, and the scenarios for that HASL. I mean at this point you have none of these to sell. The only ones making a profit are Ebay sellers. A PDF file would not take to much time to make. Heck I'll bet you that someone with each HASL and the right software would even do it for free and give it to you just to see it get out there to new players. Making a download avaliable off your website would surely get you a lot of brownie points with the mob. About the only tangible downside would be the usage of some memory on the server. If that would be a problem, farm out the file to someone that has space. For example Pitman. I have no idea what the legal remafications of that would be BTW. As long as that person makes the download free with no strings attached. :halo:

You may not have the actual stuff but you would be supporting products you did have at one time. It sure would save some new players a lot of money to buy other products you make instead of giving it to the guy selling on Ebay.

Just my 2 copper pieces,
Warman

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland

This policy seems short-sighted to me. It seems to me that you should use the established pre-order system. Establish your pre-order number high enough to make money on the product. Once you have gathered enough just reprint it. It seems to be a Win/Win. MMP doesn't have to carry the inventory and the players who really want it have a chance at it without paying e-bay insane prices.

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I dont think the online thing will happen. MMP wants people to buy HASLs. If they are all online for dnl, why would noobies getting into the game bother buying HASLs when there's a large amount of them for free.

I personally wouldnt buy a HASL if I could just get all the old ones of the internet. Well.... I mite buy the HASL if it really interested me, but seriously, MMPs better off not putting them online for free. It's just not good buisness.

- The Canadian Dude

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dont think the online thing will happen. MMP wants people to buy HASLs. If they are all online for dnl, why would noobies getting into the game bother buying HASLs when there's a large amount of them for free.

I personally wouldnt buy a HASL if I could just get all the old ones of the internet. Well.... I mite buy the HASL if it really interested me, but seriously, MMPs better off not putting them online for free. It's just not good buisness.

- The Canadian Dude
They wouldn't have to put them online for free, but your point is otherwise taken (if they were for free).

The online thing certainly wouldn't work for me though. I couldn't stand have the wierd mix of professional and Kinko's created components that would cause.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to launch into this old line of questioning again, just wanted to know the chances of a reprint.

These answers do always make me feel bad that I wasn't playing the game at all back when all these wonderful sales were apparently happening.

hijacker

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So if what Keith say's is true - If I can't get what I need/want to play the game, whats the piont of a newby like me continuing on with this system???

You'll never increase your customer base with this attitude.

Martyn

Probably ex- ASL newbie.

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So if what Keith say's is true - If I can't get what I need/want to play the game, whats the piont of a newby like me continuing on with this system???

Martyn

Probably ex- ASL newbie.
What? I dont even understand that? What did Keith say? That some optional components of the ASL system will never be reprinted? So what? New stuff is comming out. No one NEEDS Red Barracades to play ASL. Same with all the HASLs. They're optional to the core system.

Only the dumbest of all ASLers would say such a blatently stupid comment. Hell, you're probaly just an asler (Lower case noob).

I mean really, like you have to be the soul-absolute-most-moronic person to ever play the game in the history of ASL. Must be some looser from the states who no one likes.

The Games better off without you pal, you can go off and play "Lock N' Load" or ATS if you want :ciao:

- The Canadian Dude

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think making available the old games in pdf format would prevent future sales of HASL modules. Purchasers of those are likely doing so because of an interest in the topic. Free pdf's would likely wet the appetite for those new players that don't have the originals.

That said letting them be out of print for a few years and then doing the preorder thing is probably the better business model. But then you have to consider that if they have orders for 1000 units and can print 2000 and still make a profit, they will then have a 1000 units to sell and when those don't sell quickly I'd assume they'd have to pay taxes on their inventory every year. As I've always understood it a big reason for some of the major sales we see in retail. Of course that could be urban myth that I've fallen prey too.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Martyn

Probably ex- ASL newbie.
There's plenty of reasons to continue on with the system. There are more scenarios in the core modules than I will ever play in my lifetime, and we have new HASLs, in the pipeline.

If you are an ASL completist, then you may be disappointed, but we just don't see a reason to reprint an HASL that we had to clearance multiple times to sell out.

Now, we can change our minds on things. We were originally not going to do the complete ASL map set. Now we are. So, as I've said before I'm never going to say never. But right now we're not thinking about it. There is too much new stuff in the pipeline to get out.

If we think a demand has built for it, we may put it on preorder to see if it will pay for itself in the future.

Warman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you are missing the point

- The Canadian Dude
CD,

The point of my post was this. MMP is NOT going to reprint any OOP HASL, at this time. The only way a HASL would be offered as a PDF is if it is OOP. That would not be good for business. As long as product of a HASL is on the shelf you would have to buy it from MMP to get it, of course you can do Ebay also.

Lets use the person that started this thread. He wanted MMP to reprint a OOP HASL. Keith posted not going to happen, at this time. I understand that. So now the first guy is saying, Gee why not. So how do you get to the end point. Post a PDF file of the rules and scenarios of ABtF. Keith posts, This is the only support we will give. If you want the actual product go to Ebay. Well at $200 a copy there, he could go try and get one. If the orginal person wants it and can't afford $200, he can download the guts and find the map and counters on VASL.

It is not like MMP has not already done this. Example AP1 scenarios and Classic ASL. They even put a whole CG out there for free. Province Pack. So what would be so had about putting OOP HASL's there also?

MMP could test the theory out. Post 1 OOP HASL PDF and see how many downloads it gets. If it gets X downloads in a certain time period then they can put more up. If the response is low, then they can take the file off and say there is no need for this. We would then know if new people really wanted a copy of the HASL's in one form or another.

In industry, if you want a tech manual for a piece of equipment that is say 10 years old and not being supported by a company, they usually have a electronic version of the book that you can print out. They will try and sell you an upgraded version, but the old book is still there.

Just my 2 copper pieces,
Warman

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It is not like MMP has not already done this. Example AP1 scenarios and Classic ASL. They even put a whole CG out there for free. Province Pack. So what would be so had about putting OOP HASL's there also?
Just a correction: the Provence Pack is not a CG. Just a pack of scenarios about the Southern France battles.
The main problem I see, about offering a HASL module like ABtF as pdf download would be the map and special counters (not speaking of the not absolutely necessary black SS, but of the 360° pillbox, for an example).
Now, VASL would help to play the module, as it offers the map and the counters...

I have no fixed idea about what MMP should or not offer as downloadable OOP products.
The only thing that I do consider important, is that they don't loose too much time with non core modules, as reprinting the latter (and the RB) is the logical priority (and producing new non essential scenario packs, HASL modules, etc. has the second priority).

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
CD,

The point of my post was this. MMP is NOT going to reprint any OOP HASL, at this time. The only way a HASL would be offered as a PDF is if it is OOP. That would not be good for business. As long as product of a HASL is on the shelf you would have to buy it from MMP to get it, of course you can do Ebay also.

Lets use the person that started this thread. He wanted MMP to reprint a OOP HASL. Keith posted not going to happen, at this time. I understand that. So now the first guy is saying, Gee why not. So how do you get to the end point. Post a PDF file of the rules and scenarios of ABtF. Keith posts, This is the only support we will give. If you want the actual product go to Ebay. Well at $200 a copy there, he could go try and get one. If the orginal person wants it and can't afford $200, he can download the guts and find the map and counters on VASL.

[cut for ease, though I did read it all]

Just my 2 copper pieces,
Warman
I see what your saying but my personal opinion is that if there are free HASLs out there, why would someone buy one of the new future HASL like VoTG or Ortano.

New players who aren't completists would have option A) shelling out big bucks for a new HASL like VoTG or B) Dnl ABtF or Red Barracades for free off MMP. Many new players mite skip the new HASLs for sale and just dnl the old ones for free.

Thats just my two cents though (Canadian, eh)

- The Canadian Dude

Beardo1976

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llUnited States
What? I dont even understand that? What did Keith say? That some optional components of the ASL system will never be reprinted? So what? New stuff is comming out. No one NEEDS Red Barracades to play ASL. Same with all the HASLs. They're optional to the core system.

Only the dumbest of all ASLers would say such a blatently stupid comment. Hell, you're probaly just an asler (Lower case noob).

I mean really, like you have to be the soul-absolute-most-moronic person to ever play the game in the history of ASL. Must be some looser from the states who no one likes.

The Games better off without you pal, you can go off and play "Lock N' Load" or ATS if you want :ciao:

- The Canadian Dude

Damn CD, bad day yesterday?

Jason

Last edited:

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Damn CD, bad day yesterday?

Jason
Alright guys, I think its time I revealed to you all that I am schitzo :nuts: That was my alter ego angst-filled-hormonally-inbalanced-stick-it-to-the-man-rock-n'-roll-down-with-the-establishment-eat-pinkos-for-breakfest-angry-teenager persona :clown:

You normal see the lovable ASLer, kind, sweet hearted, genorious, gracious, humourus, bad at spelling Canadian Dude whom you all know and love :cheeky: :halo:

But at that moment my body recieved a massive hormonal imbalance and *bam!* ANGRY-TEEN-HULK-BEAST-CREATURE-FROM-THE-DEPTHS-OF-THE-BLACK-LAGOON-Canadian-Dude :bite: :angry: :freak: :blab: :devious: :mad: :halo:

- The Canadian Dude