Representing U.S. Cavalry (mechanized)

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I've been working on a scenario that involves mechanized U.S. cavalry in France, 1944. Based on a couple of scenarios that I am aware of that feature U.S. cavalry (BoF10 "To Have and to Hold" is one of them), the squad type used is 6-6-7. However, I in my researches I came across an equipment list which suggested maybe 7-4-7 is more appropriate. Here's a snippet ...

>>>
Each battalion also had:
(1) 81mm mortar
(36) 60mm mortars
(29) .50 cal mgs
(68) .30 cal mgs
(238) submachineguns, M1a1 Thompsons or M-3a1 greaseguns
(574) M-1 carbines
(120) M-1 Garands
(64) .45 cal M-1911a1
(37) M-9 bazookas

http://history.dragoons.org/2008/03/27/table-of-organization-and-equipment-toe-2d-and-42d-cavalry-reconnaissance-battalions/
<<<

There's a preponderance of carbines and submachineguns over M-1 Garand rifles, which looks more paratrooperish to me. While I think the cavalry should be considered elite, I don't think they should have underlined morale (based on accounts of the action in question). Tentatively now I'm using 7-4-7 squads and having them quality reduce to second-line squads.

Thoughts? Am I out to lunch on my reasoning?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been working on a scenario that involves mechanized U.S. cavalry in France, 1944. Based on a couple of scenarios that I am aware of that feature U.S. cavalry (BoF10 "To Have and to Hold" is one of them), the squad type used is 6-6-7. However, I in my researches I came across an equipment list which suggested maybe 7-4-7 is more appropriate. Here's a snippet ...

>>>
Each battalion also had:
(1) 81mm mortar
(36) 60mm mortars
(29) .50 cal mgs
(68) .30 cal mgs
(574) M-1 carbines
(120) M-1 Garands
(64) .45 cal M-1911a1
(37) M-9 bazookas

http://history.dragoons.org/2008/03/27/table-of-organization-and-equipment-toe-2d-and-42d-cavalry-reconnaissance-battalions/
<<<

There's a preponderance of carbines and submachineguns over M-1 Garand rifles, which looks more paratrooperish to me. While I think the cavalry should be considered elite, I don't think they should have underlined morale (based on accounts of the action in question). Tentatively now I'm using 7-4-7 squads and having them quality reduce to second-line squads.

sounds reasonable been elr ing ss since AbtF dfays

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

>>>
Each battalion also had:
(1) 81mm mortar
(36) 60mm mortars
(29) .50 cal mgs
(68) .30 cal mgs
(574) M-1 carbines
(120) M-1 Garands
(64) .45 cal M-1911a1
(37) M-9 bazookas

<<<

A balance of 667s/666s would be good for the MMCs.

Now as for vehicles per Troop (Company sized element) (A-C):

Jeep (AAMGs) 8

M3 Scout Cars 6

Half Tracks 12

D Troop (Weapons Troop):

Jeep x4

M3 Scout car x4

H/T 81mm x3

M8 HMC x3or4

H/T sMG 6

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
A balance of 667s/666s would be good for the MMCs.

Now as for vehicles per Troop (Company sized element) (A-C):

Jeep (AAMGs) 8

M3 Scout Cars 6

Half Tracks 12

D Troop (Weapons Troop):

Jeep x4

M3 Scout car x4

H/T 81mm x3

M8 HMC x3or4

H/T sMG 6
You think 667/666 is a better fit than 747 despite the small arm allotment favoring carbines and SMGs?

With the action I'm depicting, the cavalry are dismounted trying to hold a village straddling the 11th Panzer's supply line from a heavy counterattack. It's basically just A and B troops. The mobile artillery troop (E) didn't make it to the battle and the light tank troop (F) arrived late and piecemeal. So I was thinking 747 squads equipped with a generous number of MMGs that would have been pulled from jeeps and HTs plus bazookas, 60mmMTRs and a couple of M8 armored cars.

But maybe I could use 667/666s and give the Amis fewer MMGs, assuming these are represented by the longer range of the squads in question.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You think 667/666 is a better fit than 747 despite the small arm allotment favoring carbines and SMGs?

With the action I'm depicting, the cavalry are dismounted trying to hold a village straddling the 11th Panzer's supply line from a heavy counterattack. It's basically just A and B troops. The mobile artillery troop (E) didn't make it to the battle and the light tank troop (F) arrived late and piecemeal. So I was thinking 747 squads equipped with a generous number of MMGs that would have been pulled from jeeps and HTs plus bazookas, 60mmMTRs and a couple of M8 armored cars.

But maybe I could use 667/666s and give the Amis fewer MMGs, assuming these are represented by the longer range of the squads in question.
Forgot about the Light Tank Troop.

Try the OoBs with the different squad types and do some playtests.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Forgot about the Light Tank Troop.

Try the OoBs with the different squad types and do some playtests.
Doing just that (solo anyway, until I get something presentable).

So far, 747s are working out okay. It's been pretty fun to tinker with and I think I've got the right boards. The Germans are attacking with a reconnaissance battalion reinforced with "medium tanks, combat engineers and mobile artillery". So there's a lot of potential toys to choose from. A challenge is keeping it manageable but still representative of the battle.