Report from the Asl Recon Tournament

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL REcon - Saturday thru Sunday

ASLSK Demo (not tourney) - the following Thursday.

ASLSK Tourney - Friday ASLSK Tournament coinciding with all the other gaming festivities. No organized ASL play at that time, although there will undoubtedly be pickup games available.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Okay, I just returned from observing the first two days of the event. This is a quick down and dirty and we'll have a more complete rundown of how things went (including photos) at a later date.

*Note, I did not play in the even as I wasn't able to stay all three days plus I want a chance to brush up on my skills some more.

There were around 35 active players at the event, which from what I am told is a slight increase over last year. The action seemed to be pretty intense to me as there were some skilled ASL players present. The scenarios also seemed to be fairly "meaty" for tournament play, but that's just my perception of it and I can't claim any ASL tourny experience.

There were a lot of games going on and I was only able to observe a small percentage. Keith Dalton ran into a very solid German defense in Round 3 which sent his hapless Canadians reeling back in dissarry. That was an ugly one and Keith was forced to retire early.

Chas Argent and Bill Stopple played out a very bloody match of Crossing the Gnioli Tikitsch. Chas attacked with the Germans and attempted to end the game early by seizing the Turn 3 victory building, but Bill elected to defend the building from both floors and the Russians were simply too tuff to dig out in such a short time. Bill also placed the roadblock at the far end of the bridge and covered this obstacle well with a T34 and some dug-in infantry. He received a break when the Russian OBA landed squarely on the advancing elements of one of the German groups and knocked out a Panther. This game was a bllody one and lasted nearly 8 hours, but Bill's spirited defense was simply too much for the Germans in the end.

When I left the tournament, Perry Cocke and Jeff Evich were still duking it out in Round 3.

I had the good fortune to meet several members of this forum face to face and everyone I met was quite friendly. A significant number of players knew about Warfare HQ and I must say I was pleased with the very encouraging reception I got. Everyone I talked to had good things to say about this club and they offered me some sound feedback. I'll take that as a big thumbs up for the seasoned ASLers who come here on a regular basis and provide advice and encouragement for the newbies, and also for the ASL/WFHQ staff who put a lot of work into this site. There were also several people who talked to me about the proposed Unofficial ASL/WFHQ forum merge, and I received some very encouraging thoughts on that issue at well.

More to come soon.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Beware a 50L German AT Gun that gets rate on a Sherman. BEWARE. :angry:

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Suddenly I have the picture of KD as Col Kurtz from Apocalypse Now, in his malarial dreams repeating "the horror, the horror" as his opponent makes a comment about what the smell of naplam is to him.

Doc

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Chas:

I gave Sgt. Kevin and his intrepid squad a burial this evening. :angry:

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, my oppnonent, felt bad for me.

"Keith, man, I am sorry."

I knew going it I was going to have a lot of losses when I looked in and saw Gary Mei, JR Tracy, and Paul Sidhu - to me arguably three of the best players on the East Coast - setting up games.

I knew I was going to have a lot of losses when Ken Dunn, the guy who designed OVHS and developed ASL Starter Kit #1, looked into the room and said, "looks like I'm going to get my a$$ whipped this weekend."

But my favorite game was the last one I played Monday morning.

Here's the situation, for those not in attendance. I am playing U11, Thrust and Parry. I am the Germans, my opponent has the Amis. 10 SS squads and a Panther have to move a bunch of Germans in the board 3 village out of LOS to the "triangle" crossroads by game end. He has a kill stack that can advance into an upper level with LOS three hexes away from the crossroads, so I move in to take it out. I get one squad adjacent, just hoping to draw some fire and fix his HMG covered arc so I can sneak in from behind.

He goes for a 36 flat attack due to woods - leader DRM, gets a K/4. The half squad, on the MC+4, rolls snake eyes, HOB, and generates a hero.

But that's not all.

My HS and hero move into the hex in the advance phase. Close Combat rolls are 1-6 for me. I have to roll a snake eyes to kill him. I just want a chance to get a melee so he's not good order and I can whack him in defensive fire with two 658s/2 lmgs/9-2 kill stack I have ready to go. I have no problem sacrificing a half squad for the greater good. :crosseye:

I toss the dice. Snake eyes. Down go three 666s, a -1 leader, and an HMG.

Still lost the game because he whacked a couple of my squads and managed to move into LOS for the win. But what a great game.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Awakening of Spring, a late-war OstFront Slugfest with a newbie player.

At first it starts out well ... He walks three panzers right up to my HIP 100L without using his infantry to clear the path. I flame a Tiger I and a Panther on the first turn. Second Turn I get a turret shot on a King Tiger and roast it as it bears down on me.

Then he breaks my crew, captures my gun, manhandles it around and begins firing on my guys. Never breaks it.

Ended up killing 8 of his 10 tanks, but the embarrassment! :surprise:

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, wanted to add one more thing. I played both Bill Stoppel and Chas Argent at Recon, and let me say both are great guys and great players. Bill "Artist at Skulking and Consleazement" really knows his defensive tactics, and Chas "Oooohhh, Critical Hit" really helped me cement a few things about armor - unfortunately for me by creating flaming wrecks in the process. :eek:

If you get the chance, play'em. It's time well spent.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
kdalton said:
The Awakening of Spring, a late-war OstFront Slugfest with a newbie player.

At first it starts out well ... He walks three panzers right up to my HIP 100L without using his infantry to clear the path. I flame a Tiger I and a Panther on the first turn. Second Turn I get a turret shot on a King Tiger and roast it as it bears down on me.

Then he breaks my crew, captures my gun, manhandles it around and begins firing on my guys. Never breaks it.

Ended up killing 8 of his 10 tanks, but the embarrassment! :surprise:
The Awakening of Spring is one of my favourite scenacrio's. I guess because I won it every time I have played it as either side. Late war scenario's I am particular to.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too long for my tastes. 6-7 turn scenarios are more to my liking. I really liked Thrust and Parry. It's just a good, tight scenario that seems less prone to dicing and a lot of fun.