replacements distribution

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
is it exact to say that replacements distribution has no link with supply, i mean that if you have a unit in a very low supply place and that you have a unit sitting on a railway or in a very good supply location it doesn't help in getting more replacements. Both units will receive the same ( replacements priorities being equal)
i'd like to know if there's a way for the player to speed up replacements, i have heard that disbanding can be usefull sometimes and having read general's staff article on replacement distribution i see how this system can be usefull in particular case but i'd be interested to see some examples.
Also if you have other idea than disbanding please explain

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
in doing a test with arracourt 44
i tried disbanding the panzer IV and panther btn of 111th panzer brigade to have a big stock of tanks for second turn and hopefully having full equipment ( for tanks at least) for the 113th panzer brigade
what happened is really strange
equipment for 113th panzer brigade at turn 1 is
33/45 panthers
32/45 panzers IVH

having disbanded the two tanks btn of 111th panzer brigade
my stock shows on hand
31 panzers IVH
36 panzers V panther

on second turn
equipment for 113th panzer brigade is
40/45 panthers
39/45 panzers IVH

stock in hand
24 panzers IVH
0 panzers V panther :mad:

how come this is possible i received 7 panthers out of 36 so logically i should still have 29 panthers in stock how come they disappeared?
i checked to see if they weren't use for reconsitution of the panther btn i disbanded previously but it's not the case.
lost column shows 0 panther lost

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Did you run your tests with the -toawlog switch on? It could give you the information you need regarding replacements distribution...

Snefens

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I opened the scenario and disbanded the same units, but I can't reproduce your result. My Panther-pool stays up in the 20's in the turns to come.

Last edited:

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
i thought to this possibility that's why i said in my first post that i checked this but as i said it's not the case
no reinforcement are showing in the reinforcement box

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The equipment may have gone to reconstitute the unit you disbanded. There is an extensive article by General Staff (I believe) on replacements. Not sure where it is available wherther here or at TDG.

Davich

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IMO, replacements could have been better handled in the game. The game engine is not made for very long campaigns covering months or years as far as replacements are concerned. It's hard to produce the ups and downs of replacement rates without lots of convoluted work that may end up causing bugs that make the scenario unplayable.

Another problem is the fact that units can't be reconstructed without using the units placed in the first slot. So if the units in the first slot are to be phased out by another unit later on, the unit cannot be reconstructed ever. These things are particurlarly bad for the East Front where the Soviets were forced to change division structure even more than the Germans did.

If anyone knows of an easy way to reconstruct units that have the first slot phased out it would be nice to know the trick.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Tiberius said:
The equipment may have gone to reconstitute the unit you disbanded. There is an extensive article by General Staff (I believe) on replacements. Not sure where it is available wherther here or at TDG.
if you keep saying that to me it seems i missed something i already read this article but going to have a look back at it

Felix

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Davich said:
Another problem is the fact that units can't be reconstructed without using the units placed in the first slot. So if the units in the first slot are to be phased out by another unit later on, the unit cannot be reconstructed ever. These things are particurlarly bad for the East Front where the Soviets were forced to change division structure even more than the Germans did.

If anyone knows of an easy way to reconstruct units that have the first slot phased out it would be nice to know the trick.
G'day,

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by this? If I have a WW1 infantry division, that starts off with Light Rifle Squads in 1914, but starts to transition to Rifle/Hvy Rifle Sqds in 1916, does this mean it will no longer reconstitute, if it's destroyed late in the war (and the LRS pool is empty)?

Will it be able to reconstitute, if there is sufficient Rifle and Hvy Rifle Sqds (and MGs, arty, engineers etc) available? Or does TOAW ignore this and concentrate only on the LRS, because this is what was assigned at the start of the game?

Please help me clear up this point, and (potentially) save my scenario..........

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
this is best

don't use an existing scenario for a test.
It is an "unclean environment", unknown variables hidden.
Create your own small one.
Map, 30 x 30 grassy.
create like 3 units per side or one of the main units each, per side.
Cancel events, input yours, edit reinforcemnet chit and any loose ends.
Best way to test. You can keep the original and then you will always have a good one to test with.
That's what I finally did for testing.
It's a hassle but the best way.

:(

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Felix said:
G'day,

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by this? If I have a WW1 infantry division, that starts off with Light Rifle Squads in 1914, but starts to transition to Rifle/Hvy Rifle Sqds in 1916, does this mean it will no longer reconstitute, if it's destroyed late in the war (and the LRS pool is empty)?
That is exactly correct.

Felix said:
Will it be able to reconstitute, if there is sufficient Rifle and Hvy Rifle Sqds (and MGs, arty, engineers etc) available? Or does TOAW ignore this and concentrate only on the LRS, because this is what was assigned at the start of the game?
The latter.

Read General Staff's article here.

Felix

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
JAMiAM said:
That is exactly correct.

The latter.

Read General Staff's article here.
Bugger and bollocks. I was afraid that that was the case.

Thanks for that. Best I have a close look at all those infantry divisions, and see what can be done.

I suppose it is 'The Operational Art of War' after all. Operations don't tend to last 231 weeks.......

Felix

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Mantis said:
(Have you ever invaded Russia?) :D
Not personally no. New Zealand probably lacks the capacity to really deal a death-blow to the Russian Army. Maybe if we do a bit more training and stretch properly before we attack.....

I guess Barbarossa and the ensuing campaign do fit into the definition of operations, rather than strategy or tactics, but it's definitely at the top end. It's a bugger that TOAW makes it difficult to simulate equipment transitions like this.

Hmmm, what now?!

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm not a desinger, but I recall reading that there were ways to get specific types of equipment in slot one. A bit of imagination and number crunching can overcome these difficulties.

I suggest perhaps posting your questions in the scenario design forum - you might get more detailed answers.

Felix

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
OK, I'll take this to the scenario design forum. Thanks for your comments so far.

Felix.

Felix

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Ummm, I was hoping someone else already had an answer..... I can't be the first person to find this a hassle; Europe Aflame and Fire in the East are two scenarios that must have this problem too. Any mega-scenario, stretching over years of game time, must have hit this.

So I imagine that, just like in the X-Files, the truth is out there somewhere.......

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Looks like you're at least getting some good ideas in the design forum. That last one about forcing the jeeps to the top looked like the most elegant solution, if you can deal with the limitations.