Reorganizing en masse

macgregr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This makes it now the second time in the game, with no warning, an axis ally has decided to reorganize en masse. First it was the Finns, now it's the Italians -almost every unit! Shouldn't this at least be mentioned in the scenario guide?

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
This makes it now the second time in the game, with no warning, an axis ally has decided to reorganize en masse. First it was the Finns, now it's the Italians -almost every unit! Shouldn't this at least be mentioned in the scenario guide?
That can happen in most TOAW scenarios.
It's on the manual (Command & control - 9.1.10) and it's a well known feature.

Both Finns and Italians have most of its units in 1 (big) formation. Heavy fighting can make any formation to reorganize next turn.
That can happen also to each of German OOB's or any other Allies formation.

Can't understand your surprise.

Last edited:

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Can't formations also go into reorg if the HQ gets the hell kicked out of it?
Yes, it increases the probabilities of formation reorganizing next turn and reduces formation proficiency by 50% during the period the HQ unit is "out of action".

If the HQ unit isn't eligible for reconstitution the formation proficiency will remain 50% of initial value for the duration of the game.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I also believe that formations with a lot of units broken down in halves or thirds reorganize more easily. :shy:

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
There must have been times when political or command indecision, an unwillingness to follow their major allies' lead, or just plain b***s ups, rendered national forces incapable of major offensive action for a week.

I reckon that's a good thing, and prevents anyone playing the scenario like it was a game of chess, with every unit doing everything you'd like every time you'd like.

If anything, the scenario's still too like that for my personal choice.

Think of yourself as Kesselring, supposedly commanding the entire Mediterranean region, extracting a promise from the Italians that they'd commit their fleet, or fight to the death to defend the coast of Sicily, or whatever, only to find that they'd actually done SFA.

I want you to be cursing that a formation won't move when you desperately want it to - same will be happening to your opponent.

This isn't just my personal whim - if you read something like Hitler's tabletop conferences, or Kesselring's autobiography, or Churchill's memoirs, this is the position in which the higher commands constantly found themselves.

Noxious

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I reckon that's a good thing, and prevents anyone playing the scenario like it was a game of chess, with every unit doing everything you'd like every time you'd like.

snip snip

Think of yourself as Kesselring, supposedly commanding the entire Mediterranean region, extracting a promise from the Italians that they'd commit their fleet, or fight to the death to defend the coast of Sicily, or whatever, only to find that they'd actually done SFA.

I want you to be cursing that a formation won't move when you desperately want it to - same will be happening to your opponent.
snip snip
Amen : a laudable design goal, and I think TOAW is great for that :)