REN Support

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
With the release of the new Renaissance (REN) game from HPS I propose that its play be supported here, under the Nap ladder. The engine, scale, etc. is similar to these titles so no extra work would need to be done to support it. No scoring alterations, etc. All that's needed is a few people with the game to get some matches going. :)

Comments?

See my blog for more info on this and the other game released today from HPS:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/blog.php?u=4568

Reaction score
I've been involved with the playtest of this thing over the course of a couple of years, and I really think you will all like it. It uses a modified version of the Napoleonic system, but the mods go more than skin deep. The ability to assign each unit a separate VP value, a separate melee bonus, an armor value and the like are just the tip of the iceberg.

If you think that the Napoleonic games are all about trying to properly use combined arms tactics, just wait until you see some of the armies in this game. Everything from Tercios to pistol armed (only!) light Cav, to long and crossbows, to swordsmen.

It's a fascinating game.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I'am very curious about this game. It looks promising. Some more pics and info would be nice. Will there more games of this series be added in the future?

Reaction score
Yep, there are more in the pipeline, I can safely say that much without Rich killing me :D

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
As it does use the Napoleonic engine- it can use map and terrain mods made for the Napoleonic series. Since I've sort of getting interested in this, it might be something that I play around with. (I have practical experience with this .. on the other hand it will also make any screen shots I post look different than what is on the disk).

rahamy

Reaction score
Just to clarify what Steve said...it started with the Nap engine and then many modifications where made from there, so while it is based off it, it is not one and the same. So all the changes that were made here will not be showing up in future Nap titles.

And Brickie, I just posted a bunch of info on the REN battles in my blog, check it out when you get the chance.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was the Sir Charles Oman's book the primary reference source? I look forward to looking over the reference list.

rahamy

Reaction score
Bibliography
Primary Sources​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
D’Auton, Jean, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Chroniques de Louis XII[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman], (Paris, 1889)
Brodarics, I. De Conflictu Hungarorum cum Solymano Turcarum Imperatore ad Mohach Historia Verissima (http://www.hik.hu/tankonyvtar/site/books/b151/ch11s01.html)
Burchard, J. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]At the court of the Borgia [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](ed. & tr. G. Parker, London, 1963)
Comines, P. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Mémoires [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Paris, 1785) http://gallica.bnf.fr/classique/
Floranges, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Memoires [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](dans [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Collection complete des memoires relatifs a l’histoire de France[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman], par M. Petitot, tome XVI, Paris, 1826)
Giovio, P. (= Iovio) [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Historiarum Sui Temporis [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Lutetiae, MDLIII)
Giovio, P. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]La Vita di Consalvo Fernando di Cordova detto il gran capitano [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Fiorenza, MDLII)
Guicciardini, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Storia d’Italia [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](ed. Torino 1971)
Machiavelli, Niccolò, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Art of War [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Da Capo Press, 2001)
Machiavelli, Niccolò, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Istorie fiorentine [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Sansoni editore, 1971)
Melville, J. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Memoirs [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](1556-1601), (Bannatyne Club, Edinburgh, 1829)
Montluc, B. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Mémoires de messire Blaise de Montluc, maréchal de France : commençant en 1521 et finissant en 1574. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Paris, Cuchet, 1786)
Rabutin, F., [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Commentaires des dernières guerres en la Gaule belgique (1551-9), [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](H Champion, 1932)​
[/FONT]
Secondary Sources​
Arnold, T. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Renaissance at War [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Cassell & Co. 2001)
Eltis, D. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Military Revolution in Sixteenth-Century Europe [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](I.B.Tauris, 1998)

Knecht, R.J. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The French Religious Wars 1562-1598 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Osprey, 2002)
Konstam, A. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Pavia 1525 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Osprey, 1996)
Motley, J.L. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Rise of the Dutch Republic, 1555-1584 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Project Gutenberg Etexts)
Motley, J.L. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]History of the United Netherlands, 1584-1609 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Project Gutenberg Etexts)
Nicolle, D. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Fornova 1495 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Osprey, 1996)
Oman, C. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Art of War in the Sixteenth Century [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Greenhill Books, 1987)
Prescott, W.H. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The History of the Reign of Ferdinand and Isabella The Catholic [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Project Gutenberg Ebooks)
Sabatini, R. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Life of Cesare Borgia [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Project Gutenberg Etexts)
Taylor, F.L. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Art of War in Italy 1494-1529 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Partizan Press, 1993)​
[/FONT]

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Impressive bibliography. I will restrict my reading to the secondary sources.

Looking forward to the game and expanding my knowledge of the period.

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rich - you can count on me to support this title!

I heartily agree that we should include it under this ladder.

Anyone for a game? I have it installed and ready to go (got my copy from John Tiller earlier this week and man, the music is GREAT!)

You are all going to like the new OB format which allowed Rich White, super Scenario Designer for the game to give each unit its own MP and VP allowance as well as a few other goodies.

Gary can tell you guys alot more about the game but my first view was that its going to be a blast to play!

I really like the sound effects for crossbows!

This is the only title from HPS where I use the Sound and Background Music all the time.

Given some time this weekend I will have a Solo-AAR ready to go.

Gary - how about sharing with us some of your playtest feedback/AARs? You played this puppy quite a bit. How about telling us about some of your favorite scenarios?

Can't wait for 30YW and ECW to come out (if in fact they are being developed)!!!!

Yes, I am Swedish and love the 30YW. ECW has also become one of my favs too.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just to clarify what Steve said...it started with the Nap engine and then many modifications where made from there, so while it is based off it, it is not one and the same. So all the changes that were made here will not be showing up in future Nap titles.
Exactly, I was just providing a heads up for the art guys that love doing the map mods... M&P is a distinct series- as in it uses the same facing rules and skirmisher type rules as does the Napoleonic series- but taking your pikemen and forming a block will end up looking a lot like a square... and will a block of pikemen are immune to any type of cavalry... they are not something that you are going to want to be fighting against in a melee... think of a bulldozer and any foot infantry in the way -well, won't be in the way for long.

Me? Well I sort of specialized in the cavalry charges ... but even those have their idiosyncrasies - you can nail a unit and end up losing more points than you gain in the charge, even though you might have gutted your target... such is the value differences with the different unit types... the differing point values for the units give the Ren battles a very distinct chess like atmosphere.

I should also add to pay attention to the high wall hexsides- those are impassible.

Adding a screen shot using an art mod designed for Nap series.

Last edited:

jimcrowley

Reaction score
Country
ll
(just noticed this thread, so copying my previous post here)

Very interested in this title; quite a bold move on behalf of HPS.

I would, however, like to know a little more about it before committing. I'm familiar with the ACW series but not the Napoleonic games.

What are the map and time scales? Looking at the few available screenshots, I'd guess the same or similar to ACW (125 yds per hex)? Which would mean 'musket' units would only be able to fire at adjacent hexes, given an maximum range of around 100 yds?

Supply rules would only apply to firing units (artillery, muskets and bows)?

How does command and control work?

If ever a title called for colourful 3D graphics, this is it!

What is the projected time scale for patching these on?

And I know I have asked this before but how AI user friendly is Ren? I'm not expecting miracles but is it possible, at least, to play the campaigns and most of the battles against the AI or, as with the Napoleonic series, is it primarily geared towards PBEM. This is quite important for me because I tend to play these more complex type of games solo.

Cheers

jim

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Jim: I'll dig through the game documentation and try to answer as much as I can about REN.

Sides A Musket and Pike Battle is played by two sides. A battle may be played by one person against the computer, or by two persons using a variety of modes such as Two-Player Hot Seat, Play-By-E-Mail (PBEM), or Network Play . See the Modes Menu in the Main Program Help File for more information on these modes.
Hexes Each battle is played on a map made up of hexagons (hexes). Each hex measures 100 meters across. Elevations are given in either feet or meters, depending on the game in the series being played. Each hex contains terrain which affects movement and combat in that hex. See the Hex Info Area in the Main Program Help File for more information on terrain and its effects.
Turns Each battle is conducted in turns each of which typically represents 15 minutes of real time, although this may vary by scenario and may be 10 minutes depending on the game in the series being played. Each player has a number of units under their control, some of which are on the map at the beginning of the battle, while others arrive as Reinforcements. See the Units Menu in the Main Program Help File for more information.
Units Typically, each unit is a battalion of Infantry, a battalion of Cavalry, or a battery of Artillery. Each Infantry and Cavalry unit has a strength value in increments of single men, while each Artillery unit has a strength value in number of guns. In addition there are specialized units such as Leaders and Supply Wagons. Infantry and Artillery units are capable of firing on enemy units and each has a range value indicating the number of hexes that unit may fire. See the Hex Info Area in the Main Program Help File for more information on these values.
Turns vs. Phases Each battle can be fought in one of two modes. In the default Turn-based mode, each player moves, fires, and melees using units under his control in his turn. There are only a few restrictions on this:
• After firing, a unit cannot move for the remainder of the turn, but may melee in that turn.
• After meleeing, a unit cannot move or fire for the remainder of the turn.
The purpose of these restrictions is to help ensure that the resulting battles are fought in a manner similar to historical battles and with less flexibility that would be found in more modern combat. As each player performs actions in their turn, Defensive Fire is possible by the opposing side under the control of the computer. In the Phase-based mode, invoked using the Manual Defensive Fire Optional Rule, each turn is played as described in the next section.
The AI is a trickier question for me, personally, as I have had a lot better experience when playing a 2 player hotseat game -solo. In general, the larger scenarios will show the limitations of the AI. Smaller scenarios where there are not many choices to be made are usually going to work best with AI ( and that goes -I think- for the Napoleonic as well as the Civil War series') I know it isn't much of an answer, as the topic of AI, itself, could be a pretty long thread -let alone post. For me, it is one of those either take it or leave it prospects.

Edited to add detail in some other areas.

Regarding the supply - yes, wagons will resupply all missile/projectile weapons, however when it comes to muskets, there are very few scenarios featuring muskets -afaik, the series title is much more about defining the intended scope of the series. The "gun" weapons of choice in REN, generally, are pistols, and the arqubus (which I am almost positive I misspelled)... I will see about listing the unit types and their distinctions later on as time permits (they would be in the notes.pdf file for anyone that has the game.)

~Steve

Last edited:

jimcrowley

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks for that Steve.

I'm really taken with the subject matter of this game -of which I know almost nothing - to the extent that I have ordered not only the game but the Oman book as well :D

Cheers

Jim

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think I'll have to go in and talk more about artillery supply as it works a little differently than in CWB- there is a section in the user guide -which is a different one than the one I am working out of at the moment, also in some cases different nationalities have different ammo rate expenditures.

Troop Types

Cavalry

There are various types of cavalry in Renaissance, some are heavily armoured and intended for shock combat, while others are lighter and more useful for scouting, raiding and skirmishing rather than meleeing.

Gendarmes – heavy, armoured chivalry cavalry armed with lance – excellent shock melee troops. The French invariably have the best quality gendarmes. Other armies, in particular Spanish, English and Scottish, tend to have few, if any, proper heavy cavalry.

Demilancers/ Caballeros – a less heavily armoured and more mobile, yet less effective, lancer type cavalry. Most English and Spanish “heavy” cavalry will fall into this category rather than the above.

“Archers” – less well-armed cavalry armed with lance and crossbow – intended to charge in support of the gendarmes, these troops can also shoot from a distance. Inferior to gendarmes in a melee and rather too slow and heavy to skirmish effectively, these double-armed troops are perhaps second best in both departments, although still pretty effective against most troops in melee.

Reiters/Pistoliers – cuirassier cavalry armed with pistols, appearing from the 1540s onwards and gradually, but never completely, replacing the heavier lancers as the standard heavy cavalry. In the later 16th century, most, if not all, Dutch and Huguenot heavy cavalry are this type, while Spanish and French Catholic forces also retain the lance. Some pistoliers are lighter cavalry without the cuirass.

Stradiots/Ginetes/Coustilliers – light, often irregular, cavalry armed with javelins & shield, good for skirmishing or scouting. Like any cavalry, can ride down infantry skirmishers caught in the open and effective at hunting down routers, but are no match for heavier opponents in a melee. However, their mobility can make them highly effective troops if handled well.

Zagadari – Italian, especially Venetian, cavalry armed with lance and sometimes also crossbow. Apparently a heavier version of the more common Stradiots, these cavalry are effectively the equivalent of the French “archers”.

“Prickers” & Border Horse – light cavalry armed with lance and often also crossbow or firearm. Used primarily as scouts or skirmishers, or for riding down unprotected skirmishers, these troops might also fight dismounted under certain circumstances.

Argoulets/ Escopeteros – these dragoon-type “cavalry”, armed with crossbows or later arquebus, are often really just mounted infantry. Their mobility will make them useful troops, but they should not be used as mounted shock troops.

-Another arm coming later (manually reformatting is something where a little goes a long way... :nuts::laugh: ) (from the Notes.pdf file in the game).

Last edited:

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Infantry

Renaissance infantry falls into two basic types: melee and fire. Most, but not all melee infantry are pikemen, while in the early 16th century there are still a range of traditional missile weapons, such as the crossbow and longbow alongside the newer firearms. Only in the later 17th century will the invention of the bayonet effectively turn every infantryman into both a pikeman and a musketeer.

Pike – Pikemen, especially fanatical Swiss, are highly effective melee infantry. They move slower than other foot due to their lengthy weapon and armour. Swiss pikemen tend to be lighter and so are a bit more mobile. When deployed in block formation (the equivalent of Napoleonic square, but with the ability to melee attack), pikemen can hold even the heaviest cavalry at bay. But, lacking firepower, they are best used in combination with missile-armed infantry.

Halberd / Bill – The halberd, and also the English bill, was a heavy pole-arm originally derived from agricultural or hedging implements. There were various types of halberd, such as gisarme, fouchard, bardiche, glaive and corseque, often varying in shape and style from region to region, although all were variations on the combination of spear & axe. Most of these halberd family of weapons would have both a point for stabbing and a heavy blade for chopping, while some also have hammers for crushing or spikes or hooks for dragging cavalry from their saddles. By the early 16th century, most armies - apart from the English - had fewer halberdiers than pikemen and, as the century progressed, these became increasing associated with guardsmen and sergeants rather than the ordinary rank and file.

Sword & buckler – The Spanish alternative to halberdiers as a means of exploiting the gaps in a disordered pike block, sword & buckler men could also be found in relatively small numbers in some Italian armies and also among the Scottish highlanders. Swordsmen may have been more effective than halberdiers against disordered pikemen, but they were also far more vulnerable to cavalry.

Crossbow – Almost as slow to load as an arquebus, the crossbow was arguably more accurate and may have had a longer effective range. However, it was less effective against armoured targets. Nevertheless, the main reason for the abandonment of the crossbow, may have been less a matter of relative battlefield effectiveness as the fact that the crossbow was, technically, a far more complex weapon requiring a number of carefully hand-crafted parts, and thus more expensive to produce than a firearm, which was basically just a metal tube mounted on a wooden stock.

Arquebus – The 16th century arquebus is in fact closer in calibre and weight to the 18th century musket than the heavier 16th century musket, which required a forked rest. Slow loading and inaccurate compared with the English longbow, the arquebus was more effective against armoured targets, as only the very best armour was reputedly “arquebus-proof”.

Musket – Appearing from about the 1540s onwards, the 16th century musket was heavier and more cumbersome than the arquebus, but with a longer range and greater velocity. Requiring a forked rest to fire, this is a significantly heavier weapon than the 18th century musket, which could afford to become lighter once armour was abandoned.

Longbow – English / Scottish armies only. Fast firing, and able to employ indirect fire, the longbow was particularly effective against horses and unarmoured infantry. However, it was significantly less effective than firearms against armoured targets. Also archers were liable to have ammo problems, partly due to their much greater rate or fire, but also because arrows are a lot bulkier than bullets & powder. Consequently, English and Scottish armies, neither of which had many units equipped with firearms, have a significantly higher ammo loss probability.

Shortbow – Irish Kern, rebels, militia, etc, - a less effective weapon than the longbow, with a shorter range. But it is still a useful weapon against unarmoured targets.

Rifle – Rifling is said to have originated in Augsburg around 1498. Some arquebuses and muskets were certainly rifled, but there is no clear evidence of entire units being armed with rifled firearms before c.1600.

Non-Combatants – Camp followers and other non-combatants are invariable present in Renaissance armies. In some cases they’re fanatical and take an active part in the battle, although most of the time it’s best to keep them safely in the rear, along with the baggage train, since they’re liable to rout at the first shot and are quite likely to take other troops with them. They are usually armed with “javelins”, which may represent a variety of other improvised missiles.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Artillery

Renaissance artillery ranges in calibre from heavy siege guns down to ultra light pieces of barely greater calibre than the heavy fork-rest musket. The heavier guns are very slow moving, require “set up” before being able to fire, and are generally incapable of defensive fire.

A Cannon
A heavy siege gun, this was a slow-loading, virtually immobile gun designed more for battering down walls than for effective use on the battlefield. In some scenarios, notably those involving oriental forces, they’re only permitted to fire a single time due to their very slow reload rate.

C Culverin

Ranging from about an 18pdr upwards, the culverin had limited mobility and would have been more useful in sieges. However, at this period, it was not uncommon to find culverins deployed on the battlefield. edited - yes, well in play testing it was much more like a gatling gun- nice, but not so mobile...

D Demi-Culverin
Approximately a 15pdr gun, the demi-culverin could be used in both sieges and on the battlefield, although perhaps too light to be really effective in the former and too heavy to have much mobility on the battlefield once a battle got under way.

B Saker

A 6-8pdr gun – there was no real standardization of calibre at this period – the saker was intended for use on the battlefield. Despite having a smaller crew, often only one of whom was properly trained, this smoothbore muzzle-loading gun was little different in 1500 from those of two or three hundred years later.

E Falcon

This light 3-4pdr gun was less effective and had a shorter range than the saker. With a well-trained crew and sufficient horses, this might have enjoyed the same mobility and effectiveness of Napoleonic era horse artillery, however, in the Renaissance period it is still normally classified as ordinary foot artillery.

F Falconette
The 1-2pdr falconette is the lightest type of gun, but it’s also the least effective. This gun type is so light that it’s been counted as “horse” artillery, so it can turn and fire or unlimber and fire in the same turn.

G Organ Guns
With five or more small barrels mounted on a single gun carriage, the organ gun was a short ranged infantry support gun intended to help break up a cavalry charge or disrupt the attack of an enemy pike block. It’s the Renaissance equivalent of a mitrailleuse or machine gun. Edited to add- well in my testing experience it was much more like a gatling gun ... nice to have, but its lack of mobility made it very vulnerable ;)

Last edited:

jimcrowley

Reaction score
Country
ll
Excellent stuff!

The interreaction between all of these diverse types of unit is going to be very interesting. Can't wait to give it a try.

Jim

Xaver

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Thanks for the information trauth116, now only can wait the game arrive well :laugh:

EDIT: i see your mail macnab, i send you my reply, thanks for your time ;-)

Last edited:

Aryaman13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Bibliography
Primary Sources​
D’Auton, Jean, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Chroniques de Louis XII[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman], (Paris, 1889)
Brodarics, I. De Conflictu Hungarorum cum Solymano Turcarum Imperatore ad Mohach Historia Verissima (http://www.hik.hu/tankonyvtar/site/books/b151/ch11s01.html)
Burchard, J. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]At the court of the Borgia [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](ed. & tr. G. Parker, London, 1963)
Comines, P. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Mémoires [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Paris, 1785) http://gallica.bnf.fr/classique/
Floranges, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Memoires [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](dans [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Collection complete des memoires relatifs a l’histoire de France[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman], par M. Petitot, tome XVI, Paris, 1826)
Giovio, P. (= Iovio) [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Historiarum Sui Temporis [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Lutetiae, MDLIII)
Giovio, P. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]La Vita di Consalvo Fernando di Cordova detto il gran capitano [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Fiorenza, MDLII)
Guicciardini, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Storia d’Italia [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](ed. Torino 1971)
Machiavelli, Niccolò, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Art of War [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Da Capo Press, 2001)
Machiavelli, Niccolò, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Istorie fiorentine [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Sansoni editore, 1971)
Melville, J. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Memoirs [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](1556-1601), (Bannatyne Club, Edinburgh, 1829)
Montluc, B. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Mémoires de messire Blaise de Montluc, maréchal de France : commençant en 1521 et finissant en 1574. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Paris, Cuchet, 1786)
Rabutin, F., [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Commentaires des dernières guerres en la Gaule belgique (1551-9), [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](H Champion, 1932)​
[/FONT]
Secondary Sources​
Arnold, T. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Renaissance at War [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Cassell & Co. 2001)
Eltis, D. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Military Revolution in Sixteenth-Century Europe [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](I.B.Tauris, 1998)

Knecht, R.J. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The French Religious Wars 1562-1598 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Osprey, 2002)
Konstam, A. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Pavia 1525 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Osprey, 1996)
Motley, J.L. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Rise of the Dutch Republic, 1555-1584 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Project Gutenberg Etexts)
Motley, J.L. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]History of the United Netherlands, 1584-1609 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Project Gutenberg Etexts)
Nicolle, D. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Fornova 1495 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Osprey, 1996)
Oman, C. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Art of War in the Sixteenth Century [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Greenhill Books, 1987)
Prescott, W.H. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The History of the Reign of Ferdinand and Isabella The Catholic [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Project Gutenberg Ebooks)
Sabatini, R. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Life of Cesare Borgia [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Project Gutenberg Etexts)
Taylor, F.L. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The Art of War in Italy 1494-1529 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Partizan Press, 1993)​
[/FONT]
I have one objection to the list of sources, namely the absolute lack of Spanish sources in a period in which Spanish armies were leading the field of European Warfare. Besides, Motley as a source for the 80 Years War is notoriously biased against the Spaniards, now I understand what I read about the battle of Tournhout in Rahamy´s blog, if you are following motley´s narrative you neded to apply very special rules for the battle to "work".
I suggest as complementary source on the 80 Years War a primary source. Carlos Coloma "La Guerra de los Paises Bajos" a real tresor, not only for the info provided by a senior Spanish officer, but also because it was a very balanced account, as proved by the fact it was reprinted in Holland in 1650, just after the war finished.