REN Mixed Weapon Units

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Rock, the pike blocks DO have a facing. They aren't just converted wholly from the Nappy squares. They do have a fire arc.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Bill -- saw this part of your post (that I missed before)...
Pike in BLOCK have all around facing thus I am assuming that this means that they can fire in any direction.
LV is correct, there is a distinct facing, and there also seems to have been a bug with this (some people have had it and some don't).

You may be getting the below:

But the formation line is supposed to have a facing arrow - per the shot below ( which I lifted out of the manual).

And this has been turned in as well... for some reason mine seemed to have corrected itself, as I thought I had screwed things up by using a mod- but somehow I managed to correct it.

It should look like the below:

I used a different pike block for the record- as I just went and grabbed a screen shot from a random scenario.

The relevance here is that you can only melee in the direction in which your block is faced ( whether pike or halbred).

At any rate, it also seems that some people are having this issue, while others are- it is possible that it might be tied to background colors- however I was having the problem with a blue background- and with the arrow being yellow- it would not have been the light color on light color issue.

Last edited:

Aryaman13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
“Dr. Picouet’s page shows something very interesting. He
says

“On the left wing (s) we have 7 Spanish mangas (extract
from the 6 Spanish Tercios of the centre) of 300
harquebusiers and musketeers ...”

But aryaman11 says, “... arquebussiers of the 6 units
were detached to form a body of 2.100 men, divided in 7
sleeves ...”

If we assume 300 shot per sleeve/manga, then we have 2100
shot on the left wing, and not 300 shot. I go with
Aryaman11, since we see from the figures that the left wing
launched a highly successful assault. (And, Dr. Picouet’s
account could be interpreted as 300 per manga, and not 300
total.)

Now, check out REN scenario # 89 - - Alcantara_a. This
shows only 300 shot in the Spanish left wing, and the
center dripping with arquebus. This follows the 300 total
that one can easily interpret from Dr. Picouet. I haven’t
yet played Alcantara_a yet. But, I sure don’t like the
chances of a mere 300 Spanish shot against the 1000 man
Portuguese 2a Tercio pike block (backed up with 1000
arquebus in the near vicinity). I think we have a scenario
“bug” in Alcantara_a.

Aryaman11, could you do a quick double check of Albi and
confirm the 2100 total arquebus on the Spanish left? And,
with such a transfer, would there be any arquebus at all in
the center tercios? Or, would they be stripped of shot?
I confirmed it, Albi says "2.100 arquebussiers were extracted from the 6 Spanish Tercios, and organized in 7 sleeves each 300 strong detached from their parent units" (my translation), and yes, the center Tercios seems to have been stripped of arquebussiers /although it is not stated in the text) although given a typical TOE for the period around one thousand musketeers would remain with the pike.

Last edited:

Aryaman13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Regarding the Tercio as and administrative or a comabt unit, Albi strongly defends that the Tercio, unlike contemporary regiments from other countries, were basically a HQ with companies attached, and that companies could be attached and detached according to requirements very freely., and that in combat the tactic unit was the escuadron. composed of a number of companies that could be from different Tercios (not to mention that a company could have been just detached from another Tercio).
However it could be something particular of the Spanish army, as the Tercio really worked quite differently from contemporary regiments, the commander was not the owner of the Tercio, he was directly appointed by the King, and the companies ("Flags") were also given by the King as a comission to the captains, so the Maestre de Campo (not "Coronel", another small historical mistake in REN) had no direct influence over the captains.