REN Graphics Speaking Up for 2D

HOPLITE1963

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
:laugh:At long last after two weeks of waiting my copy of Renaissance has finally arrived and it certainly did not disappoint. I used to war game this period using 6mm figures and the opportunity to go back to doing so on the PC is really a dream come true for me.

I see from reading the posts in this and other forums covering the game that a lot of people would have preferred the game to come first off with the sort of 3D graphic that came with the Napoleonic series games.

As an aspirant modder (and its clear that the game is very moddable) I would rather see a further 2D zoom in level (perhaps with graphics at double size) before / instead / or as well as a 3D option. This would make at much easier for those of us not so skilled at drawing 3Dobjects to create mods for the game

I would suggest that for a 2D super zoom level the existing counter colours should be retained but the scenario designer should be able to choose from a range of different coloured unit counter type symbols you would probably only need 3 files say one each giving 20 different symbol choices for infantry and cavalry units of about 708KB in size and another giving 10 choices for artillery units half that size.

I think if you keep it simple graphically this game could really take off modd wise in much the same way as has happened with the “Total War” series particularly if you add the sort of user friendly order of battle editor that now comes as standard with the Squad Battles games and make provision for some more exotic weapons such as elephants rockets and war wagons.

Personally I have plans for an mod covering the eastern wars of the Ottomans in more detail while I know that one friend of mine is looking at doing a South Asia mod centring of warfare in India.

In the meantime thanks very much for what looks like a very good game.

Last edited:

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Glad to hear youa re enjoying it, and thanks for the "alternate" feedback! :D

Gnaeus

Sophist
Reaction score
Another vote for Hoplite1963's idea. I haven't tried the Napoleonics, but in the Civil War games I use almost exclusively 2D. Another zoom level with more counter information would be great.

Xaver

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
And what you say about create a OTAN system like in PzC + Volcano mods for NAP??? for example heavy cavalry can use the cavalry symbol+armored symbol, armored pikemen can use heavy weapons/MG symbol... actual symbols are to... small :cry:

In REN infatry have many subtypes and the same for cavalry, number of units is more similar to PzC than to NAP series (in NAP no armor and infantry only has 3 types, line, guard, light and cavalry 3, standar, lance and heavy).

Last edited: