REN First impressions

Aryaman13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I received the game yesterday and today I am already playing my first battle (Niewpoort alternate)
I find the game enjoyable, the AI is so far giving me a good fight. I have included a good nuber of the optional rules that I find sensible and in historically right. Turns play with fluidity and there are a good number of filters to help you in the thick of the battle to organize your forces. I also expect the scenario design feature to provide me great fun, as it seems most of the game characteristics can be modified.
My only complain so far is with the graphics, the units on the 2d map are too small, and the figures in the boxes representing each unit are also small and rather too generic, it is difficult to tell apart a pikeman froma gunner. I would have prefered larger figures with more distinctive features, like cavalry units portrayed on horseback or gunners with cannons. I wonder how difficult is to mod the graphics...Also I wish there were 3d graphics, the small size of most battles would make them easy to play on the 3d map.
In all, though, I have good impressions, and I think it will be a lot of fun for PBEM.

Xaver

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Well, game arrived, installed and open a couple of scens now only need time to play it... somebody knows where i can buy time??? :laugh:

Rifleman95th

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Ripper - my copy hit the mail box yesterday.

My first impression after five turns of the 'Getting Started' scenario...well...

:D It has definitely won me over. Very much enjoying gaming this period. The number and scope of the scenarios are impressive and the 2d maps look excellent. Well done to Rich White and his testing crew.

:upset: Now where I feel very let down is in the 2d graphics. I'm running my wide screen in 1680x1050 and it is just horrible. It is very hard to read and I feel miles away. Actually it is nearly impossible to tell from the counters just what you are playing with - yeah Ok - I can tell it is cavalry or infantry or a leader - but very little else. I'm finding that I continously go to the zoom button then realise there is nothing in the tank.

What it has made me do is continously click on my units to find out just what they are. Very annoying. More so when in contact with the enemy. This game very much requires 3d at least to the standard of the Nappy series (which I would expect given it is the parent engine). Furthermore, it has been mentioned on another post but I now think it is time for many of the games to have larger 2d counters. Especially with the screens and resolutions many of the computers now run on. I feel pretty strongly about this - I feel a bit let down but I don't want to be too harsh as it is an excellent period to game.

Sorry to hark on about the graphics but one small point in the first scenario. Side B has some counters that are in yellow. When a unit is highlighted and the writing is in yellow then it is unreadable.

Xaver

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
2D counters need more work, use the same counters in NAP and in M&P isnt a good idea, in NAP you have infantry, cavalry and artillery, subtypes are few (infantry is infantry, militia armed with spears only appear in Russia campaign, cavalry only have the diferent arms because Dragoons dont work in Jena and artillery subtypes are few, 4-6-12 pounder) but REN is another game, is hard see fire units (what are bow and what fire weapon), melee units (except when are in block formation) and diferent cavalry subtypes.

I say in other post that can do some similar to PzC using a OTAN symbols that help see diferent types of troops.

jimcrowley

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ripper - my copy hit the mail box yesterday.

My first impression after five turns of the 'Getting Started' scenario...well...

:D It has definitely won me over. Very much enjoying gaming this period. The number and scope of the scenarios are impressive and the 2d maps look excellent. Well done to Rich White and his testing crew.

:upset: Now where I feel very let down is in the 2d graphics. I'm running my wide screen in 1680x1050 and it is just horrible. It is very hard to read and I feel miles away. Actually it is nearly impossible to tell from the counters just what you are playing with - yeah Ok - I can tell it is cavalry or infantry or a leader - but very little else. I'm finding that I continously go to the zoom button then realise there is nothing in the tank.

What it has made me do is continously click on my units to find out just what they are. Very annoying. More so when in contact with the enemy. This game very much requires 3d at least to the standard of the Nappy series (which I would expect given it is the parent engine). Furthermore, it has been mentioned on another post but I now think it is time for many of the games to have larger 2d counters. Especially with the screens and resolutions many of the computers now run on. I feel pretty strongly about this - I feel a bit let down but I don't want to be too harsh as it is an excellent period to game.

Sorry to hark on about the graphics but one small point in the first scenario. Side B has some counters that are in yellow. When a unit is highlighted and the writing is in yellow then it is unreadable.

I have recently received my copy as well and although I haven't been able to spend much time with it, I completely agree with riflemans comments.

I have deliberately restricted myself to the 'getting started' scenario until such time as I have a handle on how all the mechanics work (although there are many similarities with the ACW series, with which I am familiar, there are a lot of differences) but my overiding impression is that the 2D graphics, as supplied, are insufficient to the requirements of the game, without back up from 3D modes or a much more focused 2D mode.

At a time when even boardgames are making their counters larger - often up to 1" on a side - it seems ridiculous that I have to try and focus on digital counters that are barely 5mm on a side!

I think the game is very exciting and fairly unique, with a huge content, but it is hamstrung by the lack of decent graphic options which, for me, is a literal eye strain as well as real cramp on understanding what is going on.

Another small point is that the information regarding strength/threat value in the terrain box is invisible for, I think, side A because it is white-on-white.

Xaver

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Well, i do a fast modification using the superb Volcanoman NAP mods, isnt perfect (i use only paint.net) but is an example of what cand do HPS if they want.

EDIT: problems with counter colours are and old problem, if you try NAP mods you can find that Spain unit box selected made imposible see the values, and with white boxes is worst.... maybe using a darker version...

Last edited:

Xaver

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
In Volcanoman web, http://www.volcanomods.com/ register and download one of the NAP mods, in the MAP folder you find 2DSymbolsLg.bmp, you need cut the OTAN symbols and paste in the 2DSymbolsLg.bmp of REN (see they are in the same position).

The only problem i find is that loose the map under the counters when hide them :(

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Not really a fan of the CW or Napoleonic unit mods yet, even tried replacing Talonsoft ones with the Civil War series -and turned out that it didn't matter.

Now the maps, I like messing around with them- this is someone else's map mod, of which I think I am also using Sgt Rock's river/creek/stream hexside mod... but might go in and change that around a little as well.

But since we are having a mod off... :laugh:

Edited to add... and that turns out isn't even the current version I am using, I can tell by the fields -as I prefer the blockier, aerial look. . . will have to take a screen shot now. Or wait until a couple more turns go by in the PBEMs I got going on so that what I took is old news to my opponents.

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
First impressions for me are very good. I really think it is HPS' most innovative titles.

However, there are four things that stop it being almost perfect:
- Pike blocks need to be able to stack with line or column without disorder. In the Nappy games squares could justifiably be like this, but now the purpose of pikes - to defend the shot - is almost impossible. Please make them able to stack without disordering!
- Please change the unit pictures and icons somewhat - as it is a quick glance makes it hard to distinguish between different types of horse and foot.
- Include the missing bits of the manual.
- The interface for some countries makes it hard to see the white numbers in the unit bar when they are selected.

Do that, and I think this could well be HPS' best release ever!

Xaver

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Lord_Valentai if you see the units atributes shoot troops are light units, try to use skirmis with block units, i do it and works fine.

Unit portraits... you are right and with 2D counters... well, 2D counters no, are the symbols over the counters the main problem, some better is needed and at least diferent symbols for pike/melee units and shoot units.

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes, but skirmishers are just that! They're not formed troops, so because of the counter and stack limits you can barely have more than 400 there.

One more thing - pike units cannot melee through gates or bridges. They can't column melee, but they can't do it in block formation either. Normal column units can, but not pikes. Needless to say that is most annoyinh!

Bison36

Recruit
Reaction score
I found that if I adjusted my screen resolution size from 1680X1050 to 1024X600 the 2D unit icons became much more game play friendly. I realise that adjusting screen resolution is not for everyone, but it works for me. (Maybe because I'm starting to get into that over the hill age range and I've just accepted my vision isn't what it use to be:D)

However, I do agree that do to the large varity of units that the icon symbols should be varied to help identify the different sub-types.