Remove Swiss Exclusion Zone?

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is the second game in a row that I have had Brit airpower in France auto-relocated to Switzerland, where I am unable to disband, move, change missions or anything.

Do we really require the exclusion zone there? I mean, you don't attack any nation in EA without using a TO first - do we really require this exlusion zone? Removing it would fix this problem, which seems to happen a lot when the germans cature airfields in France. Not such a biggee if it's only French air, but it always seems to be the Brits that end up there. The UK does not have enough fighters that I can spare leaving a third of my force out for the game...

Karri

Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Or perhaps create 'fake' units to fill those swiss airfields?

Lou

Event Engineer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If fake Air units were used, an event would be necessary to remove them when the T/O is used to declare war on the Swiss.

Removing the whole exclusion zone could have units retreating to Swiss, requiring tnem to be disbanded.

By removing the exclusion zone for the city of Zurich only, air units could be recovered after being sent there by the game engine.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Lou's right about opening up Swiss territory for retreating units to be pushed into it - would cause a hell of a mess.

Suppose there were two single plane Swiss air units blocking the airfield, set not to reconstitute - would they be shot down the instant the country entered the war, never to return?

Or could that lead to their being caught in the great reconstitution loop, and flying around blocking much needed Allied airfields for the whole game?

Perhaps I could sub-divide the Swiss air force into three separate units - one for each plane type? That might be easiest.

Karri

Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Btw. In my EA game I had the swiss horse unit(probaply armored brigade) or something join the fight for Allies. I was attacking the allied untis near the French/Italian border, and it just moved there. Is it on Local reserves or something?

And Could the swiss Unit near the Maginot line be moved one hex back? It interrupts any unit moving nearby it, which is kind of problematic since the railroad happens to run right there.

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Mark Stevens said:
Perhaps I could sub-divide the Swiss air force into three separate units - one for each plane type? That might be easiest.
That would be the most elegant soloution

Lou

Event Engineer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The reason the RAF can go to Swiss is that it is identified as Allied friendly. The game engine knows only friendly or unfriendly areas, there is no neutral area.

To keep Allied aircraft from being put there by the game engine, one would have to fill the hex with 9 units, of whatever flavor.

As Zurich is the only airfield in country, removing the exclusion zone for only Zurich, would let the Allied player recover the air unit.

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
9 units would not be needed, an airbase can only hold 3 air units - that would be all that was needed.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Lou said what I was just thinking - if the airfield is not located on a border hex, why not simply remove the exclusion zone just for the airfield, and then as Lou stated, the Allied player could simply rebase?

Easiest fix, imho.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've also had a game where a Swiss unit (set to "L") was pulled out of the exclusion zone and became active. I simply moved it into the NA desert to keep it out of the way, but might want to take those Swiss Cav brigades off of L and just set them to mobile.

I would suggest putting 2 tiny air units into the Swiss OOB to fill up that airfield so that allied planes can't land there. Opening up the exclusion zone "could" lead to abuse by the allied player. :laugh:

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Mark Stevens said:
Lou's right about opening up Swiss territory for retreating units to be pushed into it - would cause a hell of a mess.

Suppose there were two single plane Swiss air units blocking the airfield, set not to reconstitute - would they be shot down the instant the country entered the war, never to return?

Or could that lead to their being caught in the great reconstitution loop, and flying around blocking much needed Allied airfields for the whole game?

Mark, rather than subdivide the existing unit which has strange effects in the editor by locking down the OOB, just add two single-piece air units for the Swiss and set them to NOT reconstitute. That would be the simplest, and most elegant solution.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Mantis said:
Lou said what I was just thinking - if the airfield is not located on a border hex, why not simply remove the exclusion zone just for the airfield, and then as Lou stated, the Allied player could simply rebase?

Easiest fix, imho.
Would the reconstituted Allied planes be able to fly over the remaining hexes of the exclusion zone back to another Allied airbase? (Asks he without having bothered to try it.)

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Actually, I really don't know. I believe so, as I seem to recall flying Brit air out of Russian Persia back into UK territory when it had been forcefully rebased by encroaching Axis units, but I could be mistaken.

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Given that you can overfly exclusion zone hexes (easily tested by flying the German air units in Bavaria on turn 1, into NW Italy, and over the Swiss hexes) removing the exclusion zone from the Swiss airbase would work, too. However, you still have to deal with rebasing the units after the fact - something that initially stacking the hex would prevent in the first place.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is true. Likely a better idea to prevent the problem altogether than provide a fix...

Ok, another question (without looking at the map), is there already an air unit present there? I keep seeing these 'create two air units' suggestions...