Remaining MF after aborted Armored Assault

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
On Nov 22, 2013, at 10:34 AM, Pablo wrote:

Hi Perry. This is a peculiar situation, Klas suggested I forward a Q for an A. (The link to the GS thread is this http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthre...-status-in-MPh)

Situation: An AFV, a squad and a leader are conducting armored assault. CX has not been declared.

After spending 4MFs and 8MPs (due to bypass usage), the stack gets hit by First Fire.

The result is: leader breaks, the squad HoB's and becomes berserk.

Question: Can the AFV continue moving? If yes, for how many MFs?

I tentatively argue that the AFV cannot keep moving and actually has to remain in Motion, both because the leader broke AND the squad became berserk.

If the leader had remained GO and unpinned, the squad would potentially have been able to keep moving for two more MFs. These extra MFs would have been available as two MP's to the Stug, even if the squad became berserk as it did or if the leader moved away, which for these purposes is equivalent to breaking the assault movement. (This is following the D9.31 example)

However, the leader broke, so the squad would have had to stop on its tracks right there, without any extra movement. If the squad had remained GO and unpinned, it could have called for late cx, but given that it became berserk it cannot call for late CX. Thus, there are no extra MPs for the AFV.

Klas claims that "maybe" in this case the following Perry Sez from 2003 could apply (it refers to Wire MP/MF expenditure and rolling a '6' in smoke placement in the context of assault movement). BUT, these MF/MP expenditures are distinct from the effect of breakage or pinnage.

B26.4 & D9.31
1) A squad and leader use Armored Assault and move into Wire for 1 MF while the AFV uses 3 MP. Assuming the AFV passes its Bog DR, is its further movement in any way affected by the infantry’s Wire dr?
A. No.
2) I.e., if the infantry rolls ‘6’, can the AFV still move as if accompanied by infantry with 5 remaining MF?
A. Yes. [Letter214]

Clarification would be much appreciated.

Best, Pablo

The AFV can go as far as the leader (expending 6 MF) could have gone if it had continued to accompany the AFV.

....Perry