Regarding the future of the forums if GameSquad passes to a new owner

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Folks, I've already answered this question, but people keep emailing me about it.

I think I made it clear in the original thread that I won’t have any control over the forum should it pass to a new owner. Which is why I said I would prefer to see a gamer or group of gamers come together to take ownership of the site rather than see it pass to someone who may have other plans for it.

If you have additional questions or concerns on the issue feel free to contact me in private.

Regards.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Game-xit or not Game-xit?

In plain language the forum owner wants to determine how much cash he can extract from forum denizens, waving the menace of a shutdown that would be detrimental for the ASL community as a whole.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Game-xit or not Game-xit?

In plain language the forum owner wants to determine how much cash he can extract from forum denizens, waving the menace of a shutdown that would be detrimental for the ASL community as a whole.
He's answer a question he gets repeatedly. He is not trying to extort anyone. He has done it out of his own pocket for a long time. Don't be rude to the guy. He has done nothing but give you a place to come and communicate with friends for free. -- jim

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
He's answer a question he gets repeatedly. He is not trying to extort anyone. He has done it out of his own pocket for a long time. Don't be rude to the guy. He has done nothing but give you a place to come and communicate with friends for free. -- jim
I don't think he's rude as much as I don't think Don's extorting anyone. Mister T cares enough to tell you that this is what it reads like to some people.

Having said that, folks who want control over the direction of GS should consider purchasing a stake. Those who don't or can't (I included) will have to rely on the charity of others. That's just the way it is.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I don't think he's rude as much as I don't think Don's extorting anyone. Mister T cares enough to tell you that this is what it reads like to some people.

Having said that, folks who want control over the direction of GS should consider purchasing a stake. Those who don't or can't (I included) will have to rely on the charity of others. That's just the way it is.
Exactly. I would rather see his repeated warnings as a sign that he cares about the forum denizens. But make no mistake: at the end of the day the site will go to the highest bidder and this is how things work in the system Jim cherishes so much. I'm certainly not blaming the owner if the financial burdens associated to the upkeep of rhe forum has become unsustainable. In order for him to get the best deal, he needs everyone to understand consequences if MMP/TPPs/ a group of individuals does not answer the call.

Dr Zaius

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps my post above was poorly communicated. My intention was nothing more than to answer a question I’ve been asked by several people. With that in mind, let me clear up a few things.

It’s true that GameSquad represents a substantial investment of time and resources on my part over the years. However, I did it because it’s something I just wanted to do, and I was fortunate enough to be in a position where I could do so. It’s as simple as that.

Even though I wasn’t seeking offers, I have received inquiries over the years from a number of organizations, some of which have been attractive. But in the end I elected to maintain ownership because, well, I didn’t really have any particular need to sell, plus I was still enjoying running the site. The plain truth is that I’ve been doing this for just shy of twenty years, and I’ve made many friends here. Some of the people I’ve met have become good friends outside the forum, so it became something more than just a website to me.

That said, I do have other endeavors besides this one, and these days my career just doesn’t afford me a lot of free time to give GameSquad the attention it deserves. So I decided it might be time to pass the torch to people who could improve on what I started.

So no, I don’t need to profit from GameSquad. If I wanted to do that, I could have done so at any time.

The bottom line is, I didn’t want to just list GameSquad on one of those places where people sell websites, because after it sold the whole forum might just disappear. Without some word from me, no doubt members would be confused and probably angry, and might feel that I should have given gamers a chance to take over ownership. So that’s what I’m doing.

I had a private conversation with the moderators some time ago so that they would understand what’s going on. And as I explained to them, in order to see the site continue with gamers at the helm I am quite happy to pass it on to a new owner for a tiny fraction of what I have invested in it and have been offered elsewhere. For sure, I’m not seeking to “cash in” on it. 😅🤡😵🤪

If there’s no interest among the membership, that’s totally cool with me. Honestly, I had no intention of getting involved in any kind of discussion on this issue. However, I’m a little mortified that some might have gotten the idea I was attempting to exert some kind of unseemly pressure, so I wanted to clear that up.. My post above was only intended to give people a heads up on what’s going on, and I sincerely hope no one thought otherwise. If so, I apologize for not being more clear.

Dr Zaius

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By the way, I want to take a moment to publicly thank all the people who’ve emailed me and messaged me today and over the last few weeks regarding how you feel about GameSquad. I really appreciate that.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But make no mistake: at the end of the day the site will go to the highest bidder and this is how things work in the system Jim cherishes so much.
Nothing wrong with that.

As for rising to the call, you could chip in and be a supporter and ease the burden. You could help moderate or somehow contribute. Or whinge. That seems to be what you cherish. You came here to sell your cards and use the service. -- jim

Vic Provost

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What can I do?

I can PayPal a small contribution for sure. Anyone else?

I sure do not want Game Squad ASL Forums to go away, Vic.

The Magnus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
And as I explained to them, in order to see the site continue with gamers at the helm I am quite happy to pass it on to a new owner for a tiny fraction of what I have invested in it and have been offered elsewhere. For sure, I’m not seeking to “cash in” on it. 😅🤡😵🤪

If there’s no interest among the membership, that’s totally cool with me.
As a relative newcomer I can only imagine the amount of time you have put into this endeavour. GS is so appreciated by me as my main source of information for my main hobby.

From my perspective you do what you need to do, and if you get some money out of it, good for you.

I only have one piece of advice: Do not give or sell the ownership of this site to anybody with residence in the EU, or in particular in Germany. That would be the end of the site as you know it as there will be so many Data Protection, Personal Information Protection, Ask for Permission First Protection, Right to have Information Deleted Protection and Do Not Offend a Fly even if the Fly is a Nazi Protection that a site like this without super-strong financial backing can be de-facto shut down at a whim by anybody who get offended (and I can already see the FT's being readied against this posting from both Germany and Bruxelles, but I do get a good TEM from the US First Amendment).

PS. I have more gray hairs than I care for, having had to professionally deal with German Data Protection legislation within an international company, and these laws are now spreading like PzKpfw II's to the EU.

Dr Zaius

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At this point there are numerous interested parties who are considering taking over ownership of the site. A few have also said they may be willing to be part of a small group effort to purchase it.

If you are serious about joining in on such a venture, let me know and I will include you in a private conversation between the members who are interested.